4 Falls sanctuary?

Dan Andrews

Make the 4 Falls sanctuary?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. yes or no

• Yes - as is.
    • Yes - only if it's restored (gravel beds)
    • No - allow fishing ther too.
    • No - it's fine just the way it is. (No Fishing)

Keep in mind the consequences of making an area a sanctuary without scientific merit.

Keep in mind the fish stage there and concentrated making them easy prey.

Would you like to see the area enhanced with gravel beds and if it was would this affect your answer to the poll?

Would you like to see a pen rearing project in there?

I get first reply :D

I'd love to see the entire snug harbour from the 4 falls to the restaurant enhanced with washed boulders and gravel. This could be used by everything from bass to rainbow trout. If that was to happen I'd support a sanctuary. Concrete blocks spaced across this area and connected with underwater cables would eliminate the need for policing as it would make it impossible to fish and make current breaks at the same time.

Questions to ask:

Is the area desired or available as a docking area for boats anymore. Would any of the stakeholders object?

Can the outlets be easily blocked and fitted with gates to create a large pen rearing area?

Would it ultimately have a positive affect on the fishery?

How do we keep the cormorants from cleaning it out?

If this was being proposed under the same circumstances in Fort Erie, I'd be down once a day 5 years ago feeding the trout fry and checking the pens.

We'd have to contact the Lake Ontario Management Unit (done), the "Friends of the 12" (done), Dalhousie Yacht Club, City of St. Catharines, Lincoln Fabrics, Game and Fish, NPCA and of coarse you the general public.

If you so inspire do initiate something you'll need to present a plan. First you'll need 2 or more quotes on the stone (installed). If other options like the blocks and wires sound good enough to propose, you'll need a quote on that 2. The more of the above stakeholders that agree to partner, the more likely sponsors will pick up the tab.

If you have any good reasons why this might be a bad idea, tell us why and keep the flames away from the fuel. This can be initiated or opposed by anyone. BTW the game and fish meets on Monday so if you want to approach them for support from a stakeholder, get some prices on paper this week. Who knows, maybe they'll like it and even help contact other stakeholders.

Sorry Dan....I posted in the fishing forum before I read this. Whether yay or nay.... :D I've heard that somewhere before.... :angry:

Anyways.... Unless it was totally caged off there will always be poachers, and there's no way the police will monitor it 24/7/365.

What's the difference if it's declared a sanctuary or kept as a no fishing area? Either way there is no fishing allowed.....

It's not a no fishing area, it's a no trespassing area a sanctuary gives the MNR more enforcement powers

It's not a no fishing area, it's a no trespassing area a sanctuary gives the MNR more enforcement powers

More powers or just stiffer penalties?

They are laying fines already aren't they?

No progress on permission yet John. Bloody bureaucracy.

What type of fish are we talking about?

Bows & browns mainly Doc.......The cost may be too high in these days of a sliding economy .They would have to do all kinds of studies about the water quality temps. as well as preditors like corms. to gobies that can devour many eggs. If conditions are good and gravel can be dumped in there , then I would welcome seeing it done if the end result is beneficial to us all.

SANCTUARY: Look this up before you all jump on the wagon,make sure that this is what you want in this area, find out what the regulations will be, find out what the footage from the sanctuary you will be aloud to fish will be. Then go down to Port and put all this on paper take your measurments to find out the rules and the footage then sit down and have the guy sitting next to you SLAP YOU UPSIDE THE MELLON and take a secound look at what you are asking for. You will be shocked to see how much fishing area you will be taking away from all your buddy anglers and how many friends you will loose. ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT THIS, THEN KEEP TALKING ABOUT IT SO THE TREE HUGGERS CAN JUMP ON BOARD WITH YOU AND YOUR NEW FRIENDS. Catfish

A pen rearing site would be hard to maintain in the current which flows through there. It would get costly (fees and insurance)paying for divers to clean up the gunk that would inevitably get caught up in the mesh. At bare minimum you would need a 24 hr security camera on the pen. Our club lost a large batch of pinhead walleye one year, netted from our rearing pond in a fully staffed conservation area. A camera recording the event would have at best detered them and at worst got the plate # or some faces.

A pen rearing site also has a "no fishing" perimeter around it according to the regs, can't remember how far away it is of the top of my head.

jjcanoe

Archived