Nov 22- Boater/Non-Boater Trout Derby Day

jwl

Since it is just a few short weeks away for the Steelhead Derby that Cliff has planted the big with,I am trying to help him out by sorting a few of the details.

I thought I would start a thread geared toward the non-boaters ;)

As you have noticed in the other thread, I have tried my best to compile and sort out a list of boaters, and thier confirmations as they come in, and also in regards to the number of non-boaters we are all willing to comfortably take out for the day.

What we need now is to also start sorting out a few details in regards to the non-boaters who have shown interest in the day.

That being said, if all the 'non-boaters" who are interested in this day and know they can commit to the day out there can reply to this thread,please do so with some of the following details......

Confirmation for the day,also state if applicable if you are "experienced" in this type of fishing already,experienced with the Lower Niagara, and if you have experience running a bow-mounted electric motor under these conditions for the day. This will help ensure that people will be split up into boats as evenly as possible,and also let the boaters know who may also be an experienced asset out there together with them on the water as far as teaming up goes. This may also be helpful in setting up the less experienced boaters out there with some experienced partners for the day. Like we said before, this is for the fun of getting together and fishing for the day..a bit of cash on the line,some cool prizes,and fishing with some great people..all in all to try to make it as fair to everyone involved as possible. There are people of all kinds of experience ranges in the mix out there...we have some of us who have fished the river for decades,a couple charter captain/guides, and some who are totally new at fishing for steelhead on the river...this is for everyone who we can get out there alike :lol:

Non-boaters should also state if they have thier own life-jacket/PFD's or float suits they can bring, or if they need the boater to bring a PFD along for them.

Also for those less experienced at fishing this time of year, and out in a boat...dress accordingly..the boaters aren't going to head back to the dock because some wuss who didn't bring an extra sweater is cold :)

As for gear...the boaters already know it isn't the type of fishing, or all that practicle for folks to bring a 12-15 footer rod with them. :P We all generally use med action gear from 6 to 9 foot rods...spool yourself up a reel with a good drag on it with some good line,you don't need or want 50lb powerpro for steelie fishin ;) Basic drift fishing tackle..for example..3 way and regular swivels,4-8lb leader material,corkies,salmon egg hooks,pencil or slinky sinkers in a couple different weights..even upwards of an ounce....baits like, streamers,finnesse minnows,roe bags and imitations for example. Please note that you don't need to show off your whole tackle supply to impress your fellow anglers B) , just bring what you need for this type of fishing..for example you won't need spinnerbaits or top water frogs for steelhead fishing, this way we aren't filling the boats up with stuff taking up room that nobody even needs on board..a boat with 3 people in it already gets pretty packed up with 3 people's worth of gear and a few rods, specially if people bring 2-3 rods each.

Most of us have no problems with loaning out some gear or sharing with the people we are put together with for the day so don't be shy to ask some questions from the people you are partnered up with after we sort this all out if you have to.

Also remember that a few people have already offered to donate prize packages,or help chip in to make up a few prize packs for the day to add to the fun..we already have some great stuff all ranging from.... a possible walleye charter on Erie for summer of 2009, a CCRods custom rod, a couple other assorted steelie fishing tackle packages. So, if anyone else is willing to chip in a little something toward the day feel free to PM me to make arrangements to get the prizes together before the derby so we can decide how we will be giving them away :P

If possible,perhaps we could get one of the mods to pin this one up so we can work on sorting out some of the fineprint on this fun derby day.

Thanks everyone

Jack

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i am still in i have no experience with type of fishing but have my own eqipment.

i just need to some of the baits jwl mentioned where is a good place to buy them and while im there i can pick up some extra stuff to contribute to a prize package.

thanks for this opotunity im realy looking forward to getting out for some great fishing.

I should be good. I have no river fishing experience form a boat. I have my own PFD and equipment. I would like to know what kind of tactics will be used so I can stock up.

drifting in the boat, bottom bouncing baits......there won't be trolling for this kind of fishing, and not alot of lure chucking unless you like throwing away 5-10 bucks a cast :) It's the same stuff pretty much that everyone who bottom bounces places like PortD or the Glenn uses..except prefferably for the boat...smaller lenght rods than 12-15ft :)

drifting in the boat, bottom bouncing baits......there won't be trolling for this kind of fishing, and not alot of lure chucking unless you like throwing away 5-10 bucks a cast :) It's the same stuff pretty much that everyone who bottom bounces places like PortD or the Glenn uses..except prefferably for the boat...smaller lenght rods than 12-15ft :)

It was too early for the eyes to work, but I did reread your top post.

thanks for starting to reply guys..I will start up a list

Niagarariverpro...we need to show this guy up :D;)

Bones..another one of those guys :P:)

Fishstick... PFD???..newb

Packrat...needs PFD...newb

Doc..has PFD ect..newb

fisher_19..PFD-newb

Bassmaster12.. has PFD...newb

SmokinJoe..needs PFD...has experience..not on elects

Canada..needs PFD..experienced wize guy :P

Hellfish-experienced-has floater suit

Fishinjack-PFD?-newb

Snapper-needs PFD-some experience..not on elects

Dobee-needs PFD-experienced, not on elects

Shayno-needs PFD

CharlieD-has floater-exerienced,not on elects, and doesn't want to fish in my boat :P

Hawk-eye-experienced

Rau-PFD?-some experience

I will add to the list as it grows..please folks don't take offence by the "newb" beside your names ;) ,it will just help compile the list of people according to thier experience with this kind of fishing..the "newb" part is nothing personal,This will also help when loading up people with boaters..not much sense and not too fair to load up a "newb boater" with a couple inexperienced people, if it boils down to it pending numbers some people that have boats and tonnes of experience could always hop aboard with someone else's boat for the day :) I think everyone who has never had the chance to get out and fish the big steelies from a boat on the river will have a blast, the experienced boaters will make sure to school you all :P ...ummm, I mean teach you a few tricks along the way :P

Thanks again folks

Jack

I have about 6 extra PFD's

thanks Doc, I have extras if needed as well I can loan out for the day....hey what I don't see on this list is any of our girls who may want to get out there...don't be shy..this is a day for everyone who wants to get out :)

thanks Doc, I have extras if needed as well I can loan out for the day....hey what I don't see on this list is any of our girls who may want to get out there...don't be shy..this is a day for everyone who wants to get out :)

I asked the G/F and she laughed, she gets cold when it's under 80

Jack I'm still in. I need to borrow a PFD if possible from someone. No experience fishing the lower, but not new to bottom bouncing from a boat on the upper with denis. No experience on the lower with electric motor either. But I do learn quick :)

Joe, consider yourself with a PFD

hey me and fishinjack want to go together we both dont have any experience on the river so it will be a fair setup

Archived