Eagle Spotted

smerchly

Today , my wife was driving over the Burgoyne (high level) bridge which passes over the 12 mile creek right in the city , and a big bald eagle was sitting on a lamp post ! To me , that is very unusual , with many vehicles passing by so closely , and no , it wasn't a robin with snow on its head....she knows a lot about the birdies :lol: . I saw one flying very low across the QEW heading south into the city many years ago . Yesterday , a huge hawk sat in our backyard maple lurking for its next victum & also a hawk at Port Dal. came swooping down on a flock of pigeons today that sit on a hydro line near the Port Mansion hotel . Seems like the raptors are getting citified these days.......

One of the problems Eagles are having is finding a place to rest without being chased by people with cameras. So yes this is unusual because they really are known to avoid people but maybe they've grown comfortable with traffic.

The Bald Eagle prefers habitats near seacoasts, rivers, large lakes, and other large bodies of open water with an abundance of fish. Studies have shown a preference for bodies of water with a circumference greater than 11 km (7 miles), and lakes with an area greater than 10 km² (3.8 square miles) are optimal for breeding bald eagles (wikipedia) There are bald eagles in Urban Vancouver. Since they are opportunistic feeders, 12 mile creek would attract them, especially during salmon spawning season. Having said that, with the density of Bald eages in this are that is a rare sight right in the city. I do remember a few years back when the MNR and the Niagara Parks Commmission made a circus out of some nesting peregine falcons on the cliff across from the American Falls, putting a live cam on them. This kind of sensationalism and media attention drew crowds.

Whirlpool

Archived