An actual fishing and catching report

dr_feelgood

Woke up this morning (always a good start) and decided I was going to hit the river. Got there around 11:30 and found a nice spot away from the other 3 guys. Once set up, I procede to get snagged on my 2nd or 3rd drift. The line snaps at the reel, not good, freshly spooled reel almost gone. Make a few more shorter drifts and figured I had better get some new line. Off I go to Pete's. From there I hit Port, man, was it windy. First drift, not enough weight. Tie on heavy lead and make a cast, big bow in the line due to the wind. I start taking up the slack when my line heads south, pull back on the rod and it pulls back. What do you know, I actually caught a fish, at first I thought it was a sheepie the way it was bulldogging. A few minutes later, I see that it is indeed a real fish. I back up to grab my net and extend the handle. Glad I brought the long net. 11'6" rod in one hand, 7' net in the other. This was definitely a first for me. I decided to fish as far away from the other guys as I could and it worked for a change. Got Mr. Brown up and unhooked and figured I had a nice little meal. In a bag and on the road I go. Oh ya, I went to get the camera out of the car, but forgot the memory card at home. Get dinner home and was explaining to the youngest boy about the fish, showed him the small kype and told him it was a male, boy was I wrong. While cleaning it he asked what the little yellow balls were, I told him eggs that the fish had eaten, wrong again. I ended up getting a tablespoon full of eggs with his help. Who says catch, massage and release doesn't work? Looks like she will go good next to the steak tonight.

med_gallery_9_9_69502.jpg

Nice Brown. Also great to hear that the catch, massage and release does work.

Curious, I was often told that browns are not the best to eat. How was it?

Thanks

Sherriff

I'll let you know later tonight. She's soaking in a bowl of salt water. Have eaten a few, some in salt bath, some without. The salt seems to remove the oily taste, or hide it.

Guest niagarariverpro
I'll let you know later tonight. She's soaking in a bowl of salt water. Have eaten a few, some in salt bath, some without. The salt seems to remove the oily taste, or hide it.

nice fish.. when the conditions improve use those sucker spawn flies and hold on to that rod or i'll be building you one :dunno::mellow::)

I knew you could do it doc. Nice little trout for the table . I always make sure to clean off all that dark oily membrane which is very fatty & gross tasting on most fish like trout & white perch . Soaking in room temp salt water , then rinsing off in clean water will help get rid of the rest of the oil slick . Fry , or bake the way you like and the fish should be quite platable . Bon appitite

i added an "e" on appitit so you wouldn't get too excited.......

Another way to soak it to get rid of some of the not so desired tastes is to soak it in a bowl of milk in the refridgerater for a couple of hours prior to cooking :)

I used to soak calimari in milk when I ran the restaraunt, my belly won't handle dairy products

Weather pending, I'll be there tomorrow again, call me

Funeral tomorrow, been working with the brothew inlaw all week. Won't be until the weekend. Wife is blabbing on the phone....may have to call 911 to have it removed from her ear.... :)

Archived