CANCELLED FLIGHT ?

nittro

They must be Canadian Robins!

Tuesday while down at Port Dalhosie I spotted a flock of about 30 robins hunkered down against the wind.

In the second photo you can spot at least 13 of the tough characters.

CLICK ON THE PHOTO HEADER STRIP TO GET A BETTER VIEW.

PortDalhousieDec232008A.jpg

PortDalhousieDec232008D.jpg

Nitro: Interesting photos. I have seen Robins winter along the Bruce Trail near Queenston Quarries and at Fireman's park in Niagara Falls.

On further reading

http://www.ffdp.ca/hww2.asp?id=25&cid=7

I picked up these facts. The could be wintering, or as you said delayed migrants. There is an explanation on this link of how they survive low night temperatures.

I wonder if the grapes, left on the vines for ice wine are responsible for more Robins to winter..

just a thought...

Occasionally, when berries are abundant, a few hardy robins winter in Quebec, Ontario, and the prairies.

Birds seen in southern Canada as late as the second week of December may still be migrants.

The American Robin has an extendible esophagus, or canal between the mouth and the stomach. This can be useful in winter, for example, when the bird may store fruits in the esophagus before it settles for the night. This probably allows the robin to survive low nighttime temperatures.

Whirlpool

We saw 3 robins in a small tree across the road yesterday . I know some stay all winter in Niagara ....we always saw some at Queenston where they get spring water near the boat ramp . A very large hawk has been hanging around here lately :mellow: .I hope he doesn't like "red" meat !

Archived