Truck or SUV?

Guest bradley_p

Guest bradley_p

As some of you guys now i bought a new boat and know i need something to tow it with but im not sure what to get. I like the F150 4x4 ext cab. GMC Jimmy and the Chev Blazer. What i need to know is what it the towing capability for these SUV and Truck. any help wound be great or anything esle in mind. Total weight is about 2000-2400lbs for boat

brad

Bradley , I pulled mine with my 91 jimmy then my 98 with no probs. Now I pull it with my venture with no probs. I don,t even know it's there( and sometimes I forget it's there) . My next vehicle will be a yukon which will be more than adequate.

Guest cplummer
Bradley , I pulled mine with my 91 jimmy then my 98 with no probs. Now I pull it with my venture with no probs. I don,t even know it's there( and sometimes I forget it's there) . My next vehicle will be a yukon which will be more than adequate.

10661[/snapback]

forgot it's there? man that explains all those tire marks i seen on many curbs !!!

(mostly on the right turns).

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

Brad will you be using your boat year round? I've got a Ford Escape 4x4 used my boat all last winter,only needed the 4x4 once and that was because I was to lazy to get out and put some salt down,but it is nice to have the 4x4 option. Like Tommy says about the guy that blew a tire,you will get to a point with a boat that you must have a 4x4

Will you be launching off of launch ramps only.

OR,

May15thloadingup.jpg

Your hull weight is about 400lbs more then mine. Might be the same with all my gear/extra motor in it.

The only thing I have found is like bucketmouthjohnny said,STOPPING power.

I wouldn't want to have to stop quick with your boat behind my Escape.

The last time I had my boat out I was coming down the Niagara Parkway,down the hill from that Brock Monument,that first road to the right a plow must have hit the stop signed and turned it sideways. I come around the corner and theres this guy stopped,If it wasn't for no one coming in the other direction,I would have had no choice but to run into the back of him. I hit the brakes hard and she just kept pushing.

Something like this has happened 3 times to me,ppl that pull in front of you and stop to turn,they figure you can stop like him.

BP, I have had full size trucks (350 V8s) for 15 years and now have an Envoy (Straight 6) Barely noticed sleds or boat behind the trucks. Can feel it with the Envoy but still does a good job. Braking same thing, good but not great. How about the 05 4x4 2 door blazers GM is unloading for 18k? I am looking to sell my Envoy and go back to full size, tough to get past the wife. I may be wrong but I am sure I saw Aaron Shirley towing his rig with a CRV. I know sounds strange but they are pretty good little vehicles I sold the wifes last year. Don't tell anyone but I liked it.

Guest Jeetmuck

All around towing with a one tonne load, I would definitely say the truck, bigger brakes, more towing capacity, however, now owning a Jeep Grand Cherokee, I can tow anything I did with the truck but feel it more and definitely takes a few more feet to stop unless you get assisted brakes on the trailer. Something I would definitely recommend if you want that added safety.

4X4 is awesome but realistically I only use it once in awhile during the winter and rarely use it in the summer unless I take it to the slop which is quite a bit in the spring.

Apparently , GM is getting rid of the Jimmy line altogether & I have heard you can buy a 2005 , 4x4 with air, auto etc for under 19000. I saw an add in the Standard from Slessor's in Grimby quoting this price . It's worth checking to see the towing capacity etc. and for that money you couldn't buy a small car . How about a trailer with surge brakes for a 2000 lb boat. I know a guy who pulls a 21 ft bass boat with a 225 hp engine up to the northern lakes for tournies with no problems, just gotta keep your speed down . These vehicles are going fast, don't know if there's many left.....Good luck

Apparently , GM is getting rid of the Jimmy line altogether & I have heard you can buy a 2005 , 4x4  with air, auto etc for under 19000.  These vehicles are going fast, don't know if there's many left.....Good luck

10715[/snapback]

Stop I told you I'm buying a truck :D . Unless your going to buy me the Blazer, B) I'm going with a Dodge Dakota 4x4 quad cab and hopefully an 05. When that's paid off I'm getting into payments for the boat. :Gonefishing:

Got a GMC yukon 4x4 and it pulls just about anything, anywhere, anytime. Its also gots lots of comfy space for loading up gear. Great vehicle if you dont mind the extra gas bills. The big thing to watch for in deciding on any towing arrangment is your braking capacity. Its great to be rolling along a 120k and everything's going good, but hows it going to react in a panic stop at that speed? Personaly , I wouldn't go with the Jimmys (they're just spruced up S10's) i'd stick with the F150 if thats your choices. Checkout the GMC and Ford websites for vehicle specs.

:Gonefishing:

I have a 2003 Dodge Durango. I tow my 18ft. Lund just about anywhere. With the Magnum V8 I have all the power that I need. It has lots of room and great braking power. Oh it also has 4x4 best investement that I have ever made besides my boat.

Just checked with my neighbour who ordered a 2005 Jimmy 4x4 (promotion deal) . He paid just over 23000 ...all taxes in with pw dr.lks & keyless entry as extras. I checked on line & the base price is about 19000 . You can buy two of these for one Dakota ,,,Hmmmmm, got me thinkin here.... :blink: I'm going to check it out tomorrow, I'm really interested in this deal ....prob, is, I have to get rid of my BIG Chev Van with only 64000 kms or the Malibu car......can't decide just yet ! I've never owned a 4x4 before but I think it will launch my 15.5 Legend in some of the not so good ramps better than the big van . Hey, Im retired ....got to go cheap ! :lol:

We gotta GMC jimmy right now pulling our 18'er. It does the trick but still feel a little more power is needed for those crappy launchs and for long trips. Currently my dad is thinking of buying a 4 door F-150 4x4.

All depends how much gear and how messy you are. We're pretty messy and the carpeted SUV gets pretty grungy looking at times, its a little cramped for space also.

Duke

Guest mikalerler

I've got a Ford Explorer, 7 pass., V6,4x4 and I pull my 17'er with all the gear and kicker motor(approx 2100lbs) no problems, and as for stopping, I notice the boat, but my trailer has surge brakes and my buddy has almost the same set-up with the exception of a V8 and we wouldn't want it any other way. Early and late season ramps can be very slippery and the 4x4 can be a very useful tool to have.

Good luck!

Mike

Guest bradley_p

thanks for the info guys im looking for a F150 4x4 ext. cab. with low km on it. I will also look at diff types of TRUCKS and SUVS. From what im understanding is not to get a v6 get a v8? what about the chev blazers are they any good? thanks brad

The crysler here in FE has a 2003 quad cab dakota fully decked out and with the V8 4x4. It was Pattersons own vehicle. 31000 km at $27 900. I was very tempted. Hey they got plenty of trucks coming and going at Gastons on Ontario St. St Kitts and you can't beat his price or service. Just look under the hood of any of his vehicles. Never seen a dealer clean them up so well. Right next to Gm's truck center.

v8 all the way, i had a 6 cylinder and it sucked just as much gas as my 8 does now. as far as 4x4, if you are using normal launches its no big deal, but if you are going all winter than yea, maybe you should get one. i have an avalanche and towing an 18'6" bass boat i don't even feel it, but i decided on the rear locking differential where if the one tire spins the other starts to turn and i have had 0 problems at the launches , but than again,. i'm not out there in december or on crappy launches. i swore up and down that my next vehicle was going to be a 4x4 but when i saw the price difference and more crap to go wrong and more money on maintenance i said forget it, i have no regrets as of yet. good luck, john

Guest bradley_p

I need the 4x4 not only for the boat launches, but all year in the summer i go up to Perth and my mom and step dad have 6acres of land where we are building a house on it does get very muddy out there if anyone that has been out there. and also on my uncles farms too.

brad

Guest bradley_p

I found a dodge durango that i like but i heard that are dogs on gas is this true are the ford EXPLORER better or no? fishin-nut how is the dodge on gas for you? how many km do you get on a tank of gas? will still looking hope to test drive a few in the next few days

brad

Archived