Beavers in St.Kitts

smerchly

Last yr. I found a trap at Martindale .....left it intact & made mention of it here on NFN . It was soon removed shortly after & it may have been one of the traps from this story from the St. Catharines Standard.

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/Article....aspx?e=1386003

It's a shame that they couldn't be relocated, but sometimes there's not a choice. I remember the one that got hit by the car near the G & F last year.

I saw that dead beaver Joe , it was a big one . I would like to see them trapped alive & released too , but the time & expense would be too much . To many people who live in the north where they are more plentiful , they are more of a nuisance . So goes the saying ......save a tree , eat a beaver ......... :)

I found this the most interesting:

Frerotte knows there are people who will object to the killing of wild animals, and he has met people who confront him about the job he is doing.

But he is a retired Niagara Regional Police sergeant who is used to dealing with conflict.

He stays calm and explains “somebody has to do it.

“I don’t get into arguments with them,” said Frerotte, who learned how to trap from his father and grandfather when he was a boy. “They are entitled to their opinions. I can be rational. I am taking the excess population. It’s a renewable resource.”

Left unchecked, a burgeoning beaver population puts the animals at risk of starvation or disease, he said, and there are some diseases that can be passed to humans.

There was a Lady here in FE that wanted ours relocated. I said who do you want to give our problem to. Why not help them spread somewhere else that can't support a population of beavers. If truth be known the area can't support the population of humans but luckily beavers can't trap people ;)

It quite a dilemma. Here's this animal that is our national symbol. The fur trade particularly the trade in beaver pelts was a significant part of our history and they can also be a big pain in the butt. I have seen the damage they can do when stream bank stabilization is attempted. At the mouth of Redhill creek poplars were planted to help this and the beavers made short work of them. Along the shore of Burlington bay beside eastport on the Burlington side, they have taken about a third of the trees there. Between them and the cormmorants nesting that whole shore will be wiped out. They have to be trapped there is no choice. I probably don'thave to write this but. If you see a trap for beaver particularly if it's a kill trap like the connibear leave it alone. They can break your arm. Also the trapper was probably hired to do the job.

;) I thought this was going to be about on the PD peir in August.

Seriously though, way to go for this ex-cop. He gets out probably logs lots of walking miles and gets some beaver a couple of times a week. I was looking at the numbers, he made average of $35 a day, and that is only if he got the top $30 for the three pelts. Talk about a break-even hobby. I wonder if he at least eats the beaver. I know I wouldn't eat the beaver from Martindale. :worthy:

I must question using a powerful trap in populated areas . These traps are not marked & curious teens or people walking their dogs along shorlines etc. could encounter one of these traps .I could have easily stepped on the trap I found just fighting a big fish , or a lab dog that likes getting into the shoreline water could set the trap off with dire consequenses . I believe shooting them would be safer .

FW.......beavers like poplar trees , both here & abroad........they probably all taste fishy...... ;)

Unfortunately marking a trap or warning people will likely cause interference. I'm really surprised he decided to do an interview unless his work has expired. It causes the nuthatches to come out of the bark and Council starts getting harassed, propaganda gets printed in the editorials etc. The good thing is this guy has a chance to tell it like it is instead of just letting trapping fade away.

Perhaps they should do a big write up and announce some traps. Then set up a sting to catch the bleeding heart ARA's as they interfere and do old fashion stings like they used to do for deer poachers with a mechanical deer :worthy: . Ya there's a job for me! Trapping ARA's :worthy: .

I'd start with Kevin Strooband. Bloody guy wants more powers for animal control officers including entering your residence without a warrant. Ya more powers then the police! He actually went out to NOTL, outside his jurisdiction and released a nuisance fox from a leg hold trap set by a trapper hired by the Town of NOTL! He got all emotional for reporters despite the fox running away uninjured. He should have been charged and made to pay the trappers fee's from Day 1!

Too bad you can't shoot them, (Beavers that is ;) ). I'd cull a few for the ministry and keep the pelt. Maybe make underwear out of it or something :D

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of controversy in todays paper . People we call tree huggers want to get rid of the beavers , and then there are many who want to see them left alone or relocated . Some valid arguments on both sides , and frankly , I enjoyed seeing a few of those animals now and then ......but I can see them getting out of hand if left alone to populate . Maybe our area in Niagara can support a "few" ? One person stated " We complain about a few trees being used by beavers to build a house.......but look how many trees we use to build "our" homes...... :)

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/Article....aspx?e=1399573

Thank you Joe ! One thing that bothers me is trapping (killing) an animal that has young ones depending on the parent(s) to bring food & protect them until they can survive on their own . Yes, nature can be cruel as I've seen nesting birds killed with young, starving in the nest & it happens often in the world of wild creatures . As humans (humane) we do have some control over what happens to wild creature that we decide what lives & what doesn't according to our "preferences" . .......Has to be some middle ground here somewhere ........

I agree. Wrap every tree in fencing and starve them to death :D or relocate them to the lady's house.

• You'll never get every beaver either way
  • I don't buy the argument that they'll just breed more
  • I like seeing them to and agree we're the bigger problem

Not sure if its a matter of exterminating the beavers folks. That's what they want you to think. Hello, remember the cormorants....coming to a harbour full of imprinted smolts near you in a few months! I thought the City was simply addressing certain beavers that have been identified as a problem. Half felled trees in a public park. Can you say liability! There are beavers all over the Region waiting to move right in.

I really am fascinated by the beavers and enjoyed watching their comeback. There are quite a few that are doing very little to interrupt the eco systems around them or create a human/wildlife conflict so leave them alone. However if there are a few (that's all they've trapped so far) that need to be controlled, get the job done. JC and Renne park are not forests that can benefit from beaver forest management.

One more thing. When you see the name Niagara Action for Animals, think B.S. and don't give them any fire power. Think about what they stand for and this is their official position. "NAFA is against the use of any animal for any reason". Now when you go down and march on City Hall with them to stop them from killing other destructive beavers in areas that can't handle their presence, be sure to bring your rods, guns and dog crates for the bon fire because you won't be hunting fishing or owning a pet anymore either.

Hey there's allot of deer and I like admire them too. Why should beavers be any different. Oh Ya they show affection :)

I agree. Wrap every tree in fencing and starve them to death :D or relocate them to the lady's house.
  • You'll never get every beaver either way
  • I don't buy the argument that they'll just breed more
  • I like seeing them to and agree we're the bigger problem

Not sure if its a matter of exterminating the beavers folks. That's what they want you to think. Hello, remember the cormorants....coming to a harbour full of imprinted smolts near you in a few months! I thought the City was simply addressing certain beavers that have been identified as a problem. Half felled trees in a public park. Can you say liability! There are beavers all over the Region waiting to move right in.

I really am fascinated by the beavers and enjoyed watching their comeback. There are quite a few that are doing very little to interrupt the eco systems around them or create a human/wildlife conflict so leave them alone. However if there are a few (that's all they've trapped so far) that need to be controlled, get the job done. JC and Renne park are not forests that can benefit from beaver forest management.

One more thing. When you see the name Niagara Action for Animals, think B.S. and don't give them any fire power. Think about what they stand for and this is their official position. "NAFA is against the use of any animal for any reason". Now when you go down and march on City Hall with them to stop them from killing other destructive beavers in areas that can't handle their presence, be sure to bring your rods, guns and dog crates for the bon fire because you won't be hunting fishing or owning a pet anymore either.

Hey there's allot of deer and I like admire them too. Why should beavers be any different. Oh Ya they show affection :)

Beaver are making an amazing come back in Southern and South Western Ontario.

During my last trip to St Catharines I was fortunate enough to see 2 beaver.

Down here in South Western Ontario we are also experiencing beaver at a number of creeks, small rivers and even ponds.

I know to some they are considered destructive to others they are a means of revenue generations. To me I think they are beautiful.

Mersey

The beaver , the little animal on our nickle , seems to have a place in the hearts of many Ontarians . The media can stir the pot to get their viewpoint across & they can also pick & choose how many yeas & neys they want to print in any given situation , including politics , in which the city council may now be getting involved with . We must watch our image as a city when sentimental stories emerge and special interest groups start making loud noises . Sometimes ,action is taken for the wrong reasons and not specifically for the welfare of the animals as a whole ( like the absurd hysteria created by the press on staffordshire dogs where our government said it is ok to destroy all new pups) . This beaver controversy will continue until the most popular consensus emerges and then some sort of decision will be made to make it more platible for all .......

Todays readings in the local paper......

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/Article....aspx?e=1403402

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/Article....aspx?e=1403397

Archived