Niagara Jan 23

jwl

I figured the board was due for a trout report

Hit the river today with Niagarariverpro to try our luck at some trout action.

We got there pretty early and there was a pretty decent..well if you could call it that :blink: bit of ice floating down the river.

We already knew the boat launch was kind of shot from the day before, and with the ice that has been in the river it was decided to keep the boat at home and do a bit of shore trashin.

man you had to work for the fish though, I bet only 1 out of every 20 drifts was actually decent enough without the ice screwing everything up and running your line into snags or lifting it off the bottom

We worked it hard and finally came up with 1 fish each for our efforts.

Man I had to shake that itch bad, the river was "spent" for like a month and I was having my doubts that I could add any good pics to my January fishing photo collection, I have to have pics from 12 months a year :P

anyways after what seemed to be a billion casts with the 11.6 noodle rod, I finally got one.

352339976.jpg

not a huge one but a decent fish none the less and mission accomplished..yes!! I did catch a trout in January <_<

Cliff also got rewarded with a long hog of a steelie as well. Not the numbers we had hoped, but we toughed out the ice flows and we each put one on the bank.

Thanks for sharing in yet another fun fishing adventure Cliff. Wealways manage to pass the day with some good laughs and some nice fish along the way.

I'm due for a Steelie myself....those pesky Browns just get in the way :blink:

Nice fish Jack. I'm way way over due to hit the river. I gots to call Rory and see what his story is. Again nice catch and way to work it. <_<

as of yesterday the pool and glenn are loaded with ice

down river more was lots of ice to deal with in the monring, seemed not so bad in the afternoon, we really had to work for the fish we got, and you had to wait out the ice for 5-10 minutes at times as well, or just try to time it out ebough to cast between flows and hope your line didn';t hang up on any..we used 11.6 rods to try and keep the line high out of the water

That's a good looking steelie JW .......nice & plump & ready for the oven ! :) But I know you released it for someone else to enjoy ! :blink: Heck ....I even released a fine looking mud pup yesterday & a rock bass to boot ! :P Thanks for the great post & pic. as always Jack . We have to get you out to show us (Bruce) how to catch a few pike through the ice ! <_<

not a huge one but a decent fish none the less and mission accomplished..

Nice fish! I find it funny that we can say a fish that size is not a huge one where in other parts of the country they will never see a rainbow anywhere close to this size. We are lucky here. <_<

Nice fish! I find it funny that we can say a fish that size is not a huge one where in other parts of the country they will never see a rainbow anywhere close to this size. We are lucky here. <_<

thanks Rick, we have to get a couple nice days and figure out a good time to get a couple boats out and meet up on the river for some fun :blink:

NIce fish man. gotta get me one of those myself. stopped trout fishing and went ice fishing hoping they'ed come back. well looks like it. wtg.

They never went away...the anglers did because of the crap conditons :) The river was brown for way too long, now it's ice flows and ice build-up on the banks to contend with, not to mention super crazy wind chills that affect everyhting out there, it's hard on your gear,your boat ect. That's the rigours of winter trout fishing.

Thank the fishin gods that it's a long season!!!!!! :P

we have to get a couple nice days and figure out a good time to get a couple boats out and meet up on the river for some fun :P

I haven't been out in weeks and am starting to Jones big time. As soon as we get some decent temperatures then the boat will come out of the garage, but not as long as we keep getting this -12 garbage. I might actually have to start taking up ice fishing soon.

Was out on Friday with the warm weather. First time in over a month. Had to chip away at the ice shelf in the ramp, but we got in. Waters clear but lots of ice. Got 4 and lost a few others.

To cold for me on the weekend, but temperatures are looking favourable for the end of the week.

Guest niagarariverpro

always fun Jack.. testing out what i sell always sweet too.. i love those 11.6 blanks...

lets do friday it's gonna be warm get the boat ready

Cliff

always fun Jack.. testing out what i sell always sweet too.. i love those 11.6 blanks...

lets do friday it's gonna be warm get the boat ready

Cliff

I will charge and test the battery this week, might go out this afternoon and get at the batteries since it isn't snowing like mad :)

We might need to find a tow though, the way the launches have been I don't think my van will cut it :P

I have the cranking battery charging as we speak...this is actually the first time ever I have had to charge it, the cold killed it big time..that and the fact that the snow on myboat cover had my fish finder turned on for who knows how long..I noticed when I walked by the boat and heard....BEEP...BLIP...BEEP :) ...I will give it a test after and make sure all is good, and charge up the deep cycle, lube spray a couple things up before we possibly get my boat out Cliff :P

Archived