Spring Pike

BigD

Hi guys & gals,

I've received some pike fishing tips in the past and need your help again.

I'd like to try slip bobber fishing "from shore "at the Welland Canal this spring. Do you recommend dead bait such as smelt, or live bait ? What type of hooks and sizes do I need ? Are quick-strike-rigs any good? Do I need a steel leader ?

Sorry about all the questions but I want to make sure I'm all rigged up when I take my son for his first pike.

Many thanks,

BigD

Do you mean the rec. canal where it's 20' deep near shore & 35' deep in the middle ? We shore fish with slip floats set at approx.15' to 25' & live bait has been better ,especially larger chub baits about 5"-6". If using dead bait you can "twitch" it once every few minutes to get the pike's attention . You can use a sharp wide gap single hook or a treble (with a stinger is desired) with enough lead weight to pull the stopper to the float but not sink it . The larger the bait , the bigger the float . I have put a test sinker on the bottom which will pull the float under ....then keep adjusting the stopper until the float ....floats . Then adjust the stopper about 2'-3' to keep the bait above any weeds etc ....& mark the line with a perm.marker to make sure the stopper stays at that setting . Quick strike rigs should work also & I always have a leader , like 30# floro. carbon .......seen lots of bite offs lately with no leaders .... Steel is ok but is seen easier & may not be as productive . Tossing lead heads with large white twisters & jigging near bottom works great too .

you have to keep in mind that many areas that where once open all year round now have a closed season in the spring starting March 31st of each year :o

The areas you mentioned are in FMZ 16, it is closed from March 31 until the 2nd Saturday in May :lol:

Archived