From Moose to Mice

smerchly

Two episodes .......Yesterday while driving home from fishing on hwy 8 , I saw a beautiful red tail hawk making a killer dive towards the ditch beside the road about 50 meters ahead of me . I saw it land , flail it's wings & emerge seconds later with a mouse in it's talons . I got a good look at the red tail as it took supper away across the grapery .

A week ago , while coming home from Beamsville , same road , I came close to a collision with a large deer which ran right across the road . I slowed down awaiting another deer or two , but didn't see another. The day before that , a bud borrowed my van for a big TV he bought and came very close to hitting a deer on Pelham Rd. I'm lucky the old van is still intact.....seems to be many deer on the roads lately .....Beware just after sundown and during the night .....a collision can be deadly to both you & the animal .

Here is a large pickup truck that hit a moose .......the truck is totalled & the moose is toast !

loadamoose.jpg

Good reminder Smerch.

Keep in mind with all of the salt on the roads the deer will be coming out to get a lick.

Coming from Northern Ontario I am all to familiar with Moose on the roads, I have had close calls, friends and family who have hit moose and walked away and those that didn't.

When me and my wife travel up to visit our family, our mothers still always remind us to "watch out for moose!" as most of our driving on that end is after dark. I always reply with "You act as though I didn't learn to drive up there". I always joke with my wife, "Damn, I forgot my knife, in case someone hits a moose" She doesn't think its funny.

Down here in Niagara Falls, last year about 2 weeks before christmas I turned off of McLeod Rd into my neighbourhood when I had to hit the brakes, for something crossing the road. I thought to myself, "That was some Big Dog! I didn't know anyone had a great dane around here" Then I looked in the field to my left and there were another 5 or 6 deer standing.

Cars and deer don't mix, Cars and moose really don't mix.

Be Careful out there.

This is what I say to people who ask me about deer hunting. " Better in my freezer than in your car". I have never hit one with a vehicle. Someone once gave me some good advice on avoiding deer car collisions ." Watch out for tail end charlie," it's not the deer you have crossing down the road, that you have to worry about, it's the one lagging a second or two behind them. Twice I have slowed when deer passed safely in front of me and then twenty or so yards behind them came another which I would have hit if not for expecting it. Once it was a fawn and once it was a buck.

Archived