Niagara River Condition?

RoeBaggin

Here is the NOAA satelite shot from yesterday . It shows the Niagara R. , Welland canal & Port Dal. harbour with plenty of muddy water which makes its way all the way to the lakes end . I don't know where all the mud water is coming from on the upper river , since L.Erie is froze over ......Maybe rivers & tribs like the Grand R. are receding enough to allow the upper to clear quickly ......

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/mod...io.143.250m.jpg

Hey Denis

What are the ramp conditions on the upper? Might be taking the boat out on Monday.

Thanks,

Pete

the ramp is good Pete, you just may have toi shove the odd piece of ice out of the way before putting the boat in

Roebaggin the reports given on the lower were all below the whirlpool where as was stated the power plants were putting out the muddy water. You would be better asking the conditions on the upper for the pool

below the dams...mud...above the dams good....the rain and melt down makes the water pumped out from the dams mud...above the dams really won't get dirtied up this time of year, the lake is frozen so Erie is not getting stirred up much, that's what makes the river muddied up....same as every year at this time of year ever since they build the hydro dams :) The major factor affecting the river now is when there are large amounts of ice breaking off from the ice bridge, and there will be a bit extra ice here and there on the Upper from when the boom broke the other day :blush:

make a note.....will be the same next year....the year after that...and the one after that :lol::rolleyes:

Whats up Brent

Me and Dan were down there Feb 11, nothing at all, water was perfect, not even a sniff!

Matt

you have to experiment with bait sizes and colours for sure when the water is really clear, sometimes downsizing to small yarn flies..suckerspawn flies is a good ticket...try some different colour streamers as well

most of my fish lately have come on small rainbow roe bags...hot pink..fish are hitting super light, I went out in the rain all afternoon Wednesday and got skunked but missed 5 fish due to super light bites...would get just a small..."tick" then check my bait and roe bag was demolished

We threw small, med, large brown trout roe bags in chart, pink, and red, Gulp 3" and 2" pink worms, all sorts of powerbait minnow immitations and chart and pink streamers.

Matt

maybe someone jynxed your rod, time for a new one :blush::rolleyes:

no really......try more natural colours....silver combos....blues,blacks or grays for streamers, if there is alot of viz in the Whirlpool the fish move pretty far out from shore as well

maybe someone jynxed your rod, time for a new one :Gonefishing::lol:

no really......try more natural colours....silver combos....blues,blacks or grays for streamers, if there is alot of viz in the Whirlpool the fish move pretty far out from shore as well

Jynxed my rod????? I just got it, unless St.Croix jynxed it in the factory??????????

Matt

Jynxed my rod????? I just got it, unless St.Croix jynxed it in the factory??????????

Matt

aha, that's the problem then...always bring a back up rod until the new ones gets a fish :Gonefishing:

Archived