Some honkers down at Burlington

Bassmaster

Decided to take the day off from tinkering with electronics yesterday so I went down to Lasalle to see if the huge gathering of ducks were still there, they weren't but a large crowd of trumpeter and I'm guessing mute swans were all at the dock, some had tags on them, not sure about the significance of that.

100_1167.jpg

100_1169.jpg

100_1170.jpg

100_1172.jpg

100_1175.jpg

100_1177.jpg

Lastly took a picture of this huge ice chunk that was left on the bike trail after all that rain we had and the Grand River flooded here in Brantford:

100_1158.jpg

The swans with the orange bills and the bumps are the non native mute swans and the ones with the black bills are the Trumpeters. The bird lovers feed them corn by the the bushel full. Before it froze over there was probably a thousand birds there , swans, geese , ducks of all sorts and a parking lot full of birders.

A pair of swans passed over me today no more than ten feet above my head . The unique "swooshing" sound from their wings will catch your attention if you didn't see them first ! The geese look small in comparison to those huge swans and it's nice to see them while enjoying your fishing day . All these waterfowl have had some very cold nasty weather to contend with but they somehow survive .

I want to start off by saying you've posted some great shots and it's not my intention to 'pop your bubble' here but...

There are so many swans, ducks and geese down there that the smell and guano can get bad quickly due to people feeding them even though there are sign posts saying don't. It's impossible to not walk through bird fecces and get it all over my shoes and gear on the marina when fishing there. It's a health hazzard.

I know it's not the fault of the birds. I hope that people will wise up and let the birds follow thier natural path by not feeding them any longer. I'm sure both the birds and people will benefit.

I hear ya about signs saying don't feed the birds, thing is people have been doing it for as long as I have been around and will continue to do so :Gonefishing: I guess it's something to do in the winter if ice fishing isn't your cup of tea.

Just found the website where you can report sightings of the geese that have those yellow tags on their wings.

http://www.wyemarsh.com/trumpeter.html

i see all kinds of trumpeters when hunting the Wye marsh. its pretty funny to see them drop into your decoy spread. do they ever make alot of noise when you are trying to call ducks in. as soon as you start calling they all go into frenzy mode and wont shut up. beautiful birds though

Archived