Waskalwywabbit

Dan Andrews

The first one got away. Due to my dog having a sore foot, I had to kick the wood pile but couldn't recover on time to make a safe shot. The next chance I hesitated just enough to rejudge the distance and raise the barrel a tad. Worked out good for me. Less lead in the meat but the exit wound didn't leave much for the dentist to look at. Pretty much a lead free meal tomorrow :)

waskalwywabbit.jpg

Wish I had more property because there's really only enough here for 2 but my Wife will be working anyway. A little hot sauce and I might let the kids eat cake :D

Think I'll buy some steel shot for my next hunt.

right on.....hare pie :)

its good on the BBQ just like chicken,one of my fav ways to have rabbit......cook it up a bit first like you would before you BBQ chicken....it quarters up the same when you buther it...then cook er up with some BBQ sauce

Good shooting Tex ..... I used to make a hare pie from bunnies.......and told you guys it was chicken !! ha ha . Take all the meat off the rabbit , chunk it up , flour the chunks & brown in a fry pan with onions , salt & pepper & a little oil .Chunk up some spuds , add some peas ,carrots , corn etc. Make a pie shell , dump in all the veggies & the rabbit pieces , cover with a top & bake . Since I do not hunt now....and rabbit tastes like chicken.............I use chicken..................... :)

it tastes just like wabbit............................... :D

Smerch I have to disgree here. Cottontail is just too tender and tasty to stew or put in a pie. I used to do that with snowshow or jackrabbit. I would cut it into five pieces front legs, hind legs, and loin. Parboil it in some salted water with a bayleaf. Then do up the pieces with egg and breads crumbs. Fry until nicely browned and yumm.

How about in a pressure cooker. Baby carrots with steak spice and basil. Add that to a plate of steamed broccoli, spaghetti squash smothered in Alfredo sauce dressed with basil pesto. Dam forgot the white wine. :lol:

hosinpepper.jpg

I also forgot to eat the carrots until after.

Smerch I have to disgree here. Cottontail is just too tender and tasty to stew or put in a pie. I used to do that with snowshow or jackrabbit. I would cut it into five pieces front legs, hind legs, and loin. Parboil it in some salted water with a bayleaf. Then do up the pieces with egg and breads crumbs. Fry until nicely browned and yumm.

That sounds good ! I liked making a big stew from jacks because there was a lot of good chunky meat on them . If I only had one bunny , it was just enough for a pie ....and very tender .I haven't checked , but there are probably many good recipes on the net one could try . This morning , there were 6 FAT squirrels robbing the bird feeders in my back yard........hmmmmmmmmm :lol:

Chilli....good boy .....eat your veggies

icon1.gif

Last chance today. Had to drive to Hespeller for a hockey game instead. The boys keep winning and its cutting into my hunt/fish time. While they were getting dressed I walked some tracks that run beside the Grand. Looks good for rabbits from the satellite but when you get there the tracks are cut right through the rock (countersunk). The Grand is very beautiful in Guelph and there is a hefty buffer with plenty to see but it's lined with No TP signs so you can't wander far. The Boys won again and I hit the peddle home.

1 hour of hunting light left. Plan #1 turned up no rabbits so off to plan #2 (Thanks Gord). Decided I would just walk and hope for the best. Heard a scuffle in the ditch and it got away but I remember when I walked from that direction, a little clearing it would have to cross to get past the culvert. Headed back and followed him along "safety on". As it neared the clearing I set up the barrel and waited for the head. Saw a flash, heard a bang and the next thing you know it was laying there looking at me. A quick twist of the head and its time to go home.

2 more lucky rabbits feet, and a tail for the kids and the season is over,....... till October.

02-28-09.jpg

Archived