What kind of duck?

Dan Andrews

I've been trying to get a picture for over a year now of these cute little ducks on the Upper Niagara River. They are very shy and hard to get close to. Even with my zoom I couldn;'t get a decent shot until Family Day at the coal docks. This little guy came in and stayed in as if someone had been feeding him. Hope not! :)

whatduck.jpg

What is this cute little thing. I don't want to eat this one. You'd need 20 of them and the meal isn't worth the ammo :D

Besides they're so cute!

Thanks Bruce. I was told it was probably a bufflehead already and I scoffed. Everybody knows a bufflehead has a big puffy head with an irradecent shine!

Turns out the females are quite abit different looking and seem to be staying away from the males. I have seen large flocks of females on the upper without the prescence of a single male.

Here's one I asked about a few years back Bruce. It took Earl Plato to answer it. These greasy looking little bird were diving around the bubblers in Point Abino. Very agile swimmers.

mysteryduck.jpg

Thanks Bruce. I was told it was probably a bufflehead already and I scoffed. Everybody knows a bufflehead has a big puffy head with an irradecent shine!

Turns out the females are quite abit different looking and seem to be staying away from the males. I have seen large flocks of females on the upper without the prescence of a single male.

Here's one I asked about a few years back Bruce. It took Earl Plato to answer it. These greasy looking little bird were diving around the bubblers in Point Abino. Very agile swimmers.

mysteryduck.jpg

I think this is a horned grebe. I had to go back to the textbooks to actually find it. Couldn't remember the name for the life of me. Not actually a duck. Haven't seen one in some time. Got to get out with my binocs more often.

You see those grebes at Bronte all the time. They have been provided with nest sites there. They nest on rafts made out of a tire with a piece of plywood for a platform. I have spent some time watching them while carp fishing at Bronte and they are fierce little buggers and everything makes way for them. I watched them fight with each other over territory and they carried on for ten minutes and fought to a draw.

Archived