Windy, rainy but caught a couple.

Mike Pike

Wasn't sure whether I should burn a vacation day today or not but thought, what the heck, a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Heard the water was running clear the last few days and the fishing was slow but I was hopeful the rain might stir things up a bit.

Arrived at the Port at about 7am and started bouncing my Berkely minnows with no early success. When the fishing's slow you tend to notice the other things like all the diving ducks and mergansers in the harbour. It was like a freakin' nature show!

Switched up and started casting roe and still nada.

Finally about 9am, back to the Berkely minnows and wham, this ol' girl hit.

med_gallery_177_61_305069.jpg

Thankfully Wally was next to me and ready with a net and camera( Thanks Wally! ). No sooner did I get 'er back in the water when her boyfriend hit.

med_gallery_177_61_381346.jpg

Not a lot of us out there this morning. Althought the wind and rain was a bit uncomfortable, the temps were pretty nice so it wasn't that bad a day out there at all.

And the weekend hasn't even started yet!!!

Good luck and good fishin' to all

Very nice browns there Mike ! The old girl sure is ripe by the looks of the roe shower ! And the male sure is a colourful beauty . How come us human males aren't the preetiest ones ? :dunno: . Good on ya for braving the weather today , it sure paid off for you !

Personally, I'm a fan of the Berkely 'Gulp' minnows now, 3 inch for Niagara or the Port. I think they out perform Berkely's Realistix and their other minow baits( just an opinion ). My favorte is the smelt pattern as well as shad. White works for me too on some days and when the water is stained, I go to the chartuese.

Thanks for the info Mike Pike, Im going to have to try gulp minnows. I was surprised you recommend 3 in size , I thought big browns like that would want something a bit bigger. Anyway Ive got next week off so Im going to try Port D and the Niagara. Maybe Ill see you there sometime!

Archived