Goose Doo

smerchly

I do read some things in the Sun Rag that I believe has some merit . :P I don't like their political b.s. & wont even open a topic on that stuff......but when I spot headlines about fishing or environment , I will have a look see . This goose thing seems to be a common happening on this side of the big lake also . They are now becoming a nuisance and not only "fowling" up our piers , parks, beaches etc....but the water itself ,causing E-coli and a hazard for our kids . People are feeding them bread products which makes them sick & causes their feces to be sloppy & stinky . What can we do to stop these birds from polluting ??? Are they safe to eat ? Can they be culled & sold as safe meat to consume ? Any ideas what we can do with them ? I would not like to see them killed and wasted.....

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandg...01/8582101.html

I wish more people would take a closer look at this issue. I'm tired of having guano/ goose diarrhea all over my gear and shoes. Around here in Hamilton there are no places by the water that are safe to sit down or play a game of soccer with the kids.

There are reasons the sign posts are out there saying "don't feed the birds" and explain why not. If these people really cared about the trumpeter, mutes, geese and ducks they would stop feeding them and let nature take it's course. I'm sure both the birds and people would benefit by it.

As far as a solution? I guess it's down to prevention by enforcing the by laws to not feed the birds. If they return to thier natural diet we won't be 'tiptoeing through the tulips as much'

I agree hairwig , that green crap fills up the cavities of your shoes or boots , gets on the car mats then dragged into the house if you don't take them off . I used a screwdriver to clean out the shoes & hot water to spray of the rest ! The kids can't play on the park's grass or the beach , dodging goose & some dog feces too . More signs are needed with $300 fines printed right on the signs for feeding these birds & also a cull , using nets to round them up & join the KFC chicken club . When they start causing jet plane crashes , we must reduce their numbers ....

you guys made a great point.......we already know there are areas where people do feed the geese and ducks that are right by signs telling you not to do so. Perhaps these signs should have an explanation as to why not to feed them as well. Lots of people make a hobby out of going for a walk and feeding the birds every day, they think they are doiing no harm and doing the birds a favour in the lean winter months.

I notice how because of things like this animal behaviour changes over time, now these birds do not migrate any more in some cases where they used too.

A bit off topic...but I swear that squirrels migrated in the winter when i was a kid and now they don,t :lol:

Way back in the fifty's & sixty's I thought the squirrels hibernated in a hole in the trees for the winter , but when I used to hunt rabbits etc., we learned to recognize the difference betwwen squirrel & rabbit tracks in the snow . Almost every morning now , even on the coldest days , I will have up to 6 squirrels robbing the bird feeders to get the sunflower seeds . The rob my apple tree of many apples & there is a big walnut tree next door that keeps them busy every fall . They do damage to trees & birdhouses & yes ,crap in the yard !icon2.gif

The way the economy is crashing (Stelco shutting down & John Deer next month) ,you might see them geese disappearing :unsure: ( no gun required) . If the sale of freezers increases , look forward to "greener pastures " :Gonefishing:

Archived