Lung fish

dunder

While fishing this weekend a Father and his kids approached me and asked me how the fishing was going. I answered him and he then said he was looking to land some "lung fish". Lung fish thought I? He went on to tell me he has caught them up to 20 lb's in the 12 mile creek.

I consider myself to be aware of North American, fresh water species from stickle backs to sauger but this was a first for me. I have only resided in Southern Ontario for 5 years now and this was the first time I've heard someone mention them though the name did 'ring a bell'.

So, I researched it a little and found the image below of this lung fish and found out that it was accidently introduced through the Welland canal around the turn of the centery and that this species of lung fish is Australian.

Does anyone care to share any expiriences with this fish from "down unda"?

lungfish-info0.gif

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...t%3D40%26um%3D1

When I was a teen , we fished the upper 12 mile (Jackson's Flats) which is a small stream with a few deep holes about 6' . We caught suckers ,dace , trout , & a few bass , but when it rained heavy & clouded up the water, we would get a few bullhead catfish & some European eels . Some of these eels would be close to 4' long ! The eels in Port Dalhousie harbour would reach over 5' & could weight 20 pounds . Maybe that is what he called lungfish ?

Me thinks "Bowfin" aka Dogfish. However the "up to 20 lbs" is a bit exaggerated unless its carp.

i agree i think it bowfin. i have seen ones that are close to 10lbs and they fight like crazy. have also heard some old timers refer to then as lung fish

it would be pretty hard to think it was a carp with a eel like tail

Yes , bowfins (dogfish) can get to be close to 20 lbs. We caught some over 15 lbs. on rapala's while trolling for pike at Honey Harbour . In this area , I have caught most of my bowfins in Daley Park & Jordan Harbour . Going by the picture posted , I thought the fish being referred to was an eel like fish. Many yrs.ago , while smelting at Queenston , I caught a small 5" ling (burbot) in the net , but as stated , they need the cold clear water to survive ,so I doubt they would be in the 12 mile creek .

Or could it be a spelling error & he forgot to put the e on lung ? :Gonefishing:

It's funny, I laughed to myself when this guy mentioned this mysterious lungfish. He said he has caught them on numerous occasions? I dunno? I don't think I'm gullible. My buddy and I 'googled it' and found info stating that these fish are in the Welland canal system. I didn't want to clutter up this thread with the info I found and though anyone else is capable of doing the same if they are interested and want to look into further ;) I find this kind of stuff interesting...Has anyone seen a Nessie? :Gonefishing:

When I was a teen , we fished the upper 12 mile (Jackson's Flats) which is a small stream with a few deep holes about 6' . We caught suckers ,dace , trout , & a few bass , but when it rained heavy & clouded up the water, we would get a few bullhead catfish & some European eels . Some of these eels would be close to 4' long ! The eels in Port Dalhousie harbour would reach over 5' & could weight 20 pounds . Maybe that is what he called lungfish ?

Are u serious?

On topic, is second the dogfish theory.

Hey Spinner......20 lbs is prob. pushing it it tad .......but these eels would reach 5' long & were as fat as a can of beer ! lol ......We never had scales those days , but they were solid fish & fought like crazy . I also caught huge eels from the big moss covered rocks just west of Niagara on the Lake in L.Ontario . The Latvian people down the road from me would cold smoke them ......and it was like eating smoked salami ! :D

bowfin or american eel. seen bofin in there a few times, only seen one eel caught there in the mid 80's I was young but I remember the man who caught it cut of its head about 6 inchs back and kicked it to the creek and it swam away!?? he took the 3 foot tail home with him?? i have never seen a eel anywhere in niagara since .I know out east they love eel smoked.

I believe not knowing whats down there obviously spices up the fishing experience and I guess it's inconclusive if this fish is in the Welland canal system or not? The information on certain website pages says it is but I guess when it comes down to it it's the fisherman on the bank who can tell the real story? Thanks for your input everyone :blush:

Growing up we used to catch a lot of eels in VA. They look a lot like whats in the pic. We'd just set up a dead line with a minnow tied to a stick and check it in the morning. We caught them up to 4' long and man they fight like crazy. Not sure that it's the same thing though :blush: And that was in the creeks

• 2 weeks later...
Yes , bowfins (dogfish) can get to be close to 20 lbs. We caught some over 15 lbs. on rapala's while trolling for pike at Honey Harbour . In this area , I have caught most of my bowfins in Daley Park & Jordan Harbour . Going by the picture posted , I thought the fish being referred to was an eel like fish. Many yrs.ago , while smelting at Queenston , I caught a small 5" ling (burbot) in the net , but as stated , they need the cold clear water to survive ,so I doubt they would be in the 12 mile creek .

Or could it be a spelling error & he forgot to put the e on lung ? :dunno:

Is it possible that the "welland canal" could be a canal in australia because the name is commonly used for names of waterways, places etc. in english colonies. If there were any in the welland that would be kinda cool but possibly bad for the fish and other animals in the area.

Barbra the lungfish are sleeping on our driveway again!!

Archived