Good News for Perch in Hamilton Harbour

steve-hamilton

Hamilton Spectator Article from March 18th

"Last year was a really good year for yellow perch, the species we're most interested in because it's a foundation species that has the biggest role to play in restoration of the fishery. It will return to being the most common animal in the RBG and the harbour.

"In the fishway's first year (12 years ago), we saw only six. Now we see more than six in each cage lift, and had more than half a million last year, but I won't be happy 'til there are 10 million."

19662e5f4d5e9cd848f6537d1361.jpeg

Great info Steve ! If you look at the good numbers of fish in Martindale one can appreciate catching all kinds of pannies which help sustain the larger fish like bass & pike ...... and a walleye or two is a nice bonus ! :P

Where is the parking area for this fish barrier? Looks like a long a$$ walk. Are you allowed to fish the lake side for carp? Whats it like?

Snoryder the carping is world class on the lake side as you called it. And the walk to the carp barrier is only about 10 minutes on the paved trail from Longwood Road( West End of Hamilton )on the Cootes Paradise side. Or maybe a 15 minute walk if you park on the harbour side at Harbourfront Park off Bay Street. Either route will get ya there.

Where is the parking area for this fish barrier? Looks like a long a$$ walk. Are you allowed to fish the lake side for carp? Whats it like?

Mike Pike is right about the directions and carping down there. We've been down there recently and found it a little slow. Give it another couple of weeks and it will be on fire.

we went there on monday for some carp/catfish/steelhead action. Saw some fish surfacing, other than that it was REALLY dead. But if you go later in the spring, then the carp all over the place, along with some BIG channel cats. Great place to fish if you ask me. And im really glad to see all the perch that are going through there. I can faithfully say, there is some hope left...as for when they pull the traps up, its pretty cool to se all the different species of fish that try to go through there and even better is when you see all the carp heading back into the harbour :P Its also cool to go there in the spring and see all the carp stacked belly to belly trying to get through.

Dan

FISHWAY LIFTS SCHEDULE

Located along the Waterfront Trail at the mouth

of the Desjardins Canal, the Fishway is the Great

Lakes’ first two-way fishway and carp barrier.

MARCH (after the ice melts):

Monday to Friday; 2:30 p.m.

APRIL THROUGH JUNE:

• Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.

• Sundays*, 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.

*Sunday lifts:

• April 10 (Good Friday) and April 26

• May 10 (Mother's Day) and May 24

• June 7 and 21 (Father's Day).

The Fishway does not operate on Fridays

before Sunday lifts.

Further unscheduled lifts occur during high

activity periods. Visit www.rbg.ca.

Note that lifts may be cancelled without notice

Okay ...Snoryder...

I fish there alot of times with my kids...Here is the parking: King street until you see Macklin turn right...Drive to the end (Princess Point).Park your car then follow the walkway for about 7 minutes then you will see the fish traps....You can start set up and fish right there...I can not wait til the carps come in....

Lnguyen0929

Thats great news thanks for sharing!

its probably been about 2 years since i've fished down there by the fish dam. I used to go with my younger brother and my buddys and we fished right under the bridges. there are tons of carp and big cats to be caught in the spring and all summer. they always hammered a hook loaded up with corn nibblets. This would be a great place to take some new bees fishing or to have a fun afternoon with lots of hook ups. hah the only thing that was kind of annoying was sometimes greasy lookin guys would ask to keep basically every fish we caught to eat :D ... and didnt speak a word of english

Thats great news thanks for sharing!

its probably been about 2 years since i've fished down there by the fish dam. I used to go with my younger brother and my buddys and we fished right under the bridges. there are tons of carp and big cats to be caught in the spring and all summer. they always hammered a hook loaded up with corn nibblets. This would be a great place to take some new bees fishing or to have a fun afternoon with lots of hook ups. hah the only thing that was kind of annoying was sometimes greasy lookin guys would ask to keep basically every fish we caught to eat :blink: ... and didnt speak a word of english

If they didn't speak english, how'd you know what they said? :D:lol:

One hint...we use boilies on hair rigs. Only way to keep the gobies and most bullheads off your hook.

And you don't have to restrict yourself to the carp gates. Basically anywhere along the Bayfront Park walls will yield carp and have parking within spitting distance. But don't spit - it's not polite.

Aside from the fact that you seem annoyed by the language they speak ( or don't speak), I was wondering..

Is there any law saying you can't sit down their with a can of green giant, catching carp after carp and just giving them away as you catch them?

Wouldn't that be a nice goodwill gesture towards some people in need of fresh fish?

I'm assuming that the people asking would be eating them?

If you were to start charging $2 per fish that would make you a commercial fisherman and change the rules completely?

Just wondering..

I know what he means though. We have caught carp there on the other side of the canal, and some guy was yelling over asking if we were keeping it. My logic is this, if your not going to eat it, let it go. Simple as that. Let people catch their own fish as we do. Its also annoying when its that situation at different piers, with certain people asking for that big ol' salmon or brown or rainbow you just caught. Sorry thats just my two cents on the whole topic.

Dan

I'll need someone to show me. Maybe we can meet one day at the park. I kinda have an idea of how it works.

Thanks

snoryer

Your welcome to join us in one of our upcoming carp fishing get togethers we have around the bay through out the spring, summer and fall.

We'll be happy to show you how to use a boilie correctly and other useful tips as well. Maybe even a fish or two :D

im sure no one would care about a fisherman giving away carp, especially down there. i just dont really feel comfortable giving away the fish i just caught... aside from it being a nice gesture and putting a meal on someones table, it doesnt feel right. i love to fish, i want to catch fish when i go down there, i pay my fishing lisence so i can catch and keep fish if I choose to. If somebody wants to take something home they can catch it themselves. i couldnt tell you weather or not its legal, and i wouldnt want to put myself in a situation where i might be breaking a law.

Archived