Just can't hook em!

Guest chilli

Guest chilli

Well this was before I cut the last 4 inches so no worries there.

thick%20enough.jpg

So I got the tent up and checked to make sure my most important pieces of tackle were in place like the one at the lower right of the box. The sharpening stone.

icetackle.jpg

But I kept on getting bites but just couldn't hook em. The rod would bounce up and down, side to side but by the time I noticed it out of the corner of my eye while watching the other rod, I'd set the hook and get nothing :o

Guest chilli

Turns out it was just these dam fish bumping into the rod. :P

dinks.jpg

I got all in a period of about 10 minutes. There are a couple of real dinks there but they wouldn't swim. Somewhere between 6-8 went back in but only 3 of these were 10 inches. One might win me a prize though in Denis's derby so a couple littlins can't be bad. I'll take a booby prize anyday. One month to go so you never know :D They're getting fatter every day now so I imagining a late March perch record. :o But where will it come from????

Guest cplummer
Turns out it was just these dam fish bumping into the rod. :P

dinks.jpg

I got all in a period of about 10 minutes. There are a couple of real dinks there but they wouldn't swim. Somewhere between 6-8 went back in but only 3 of these were 10 inches. One might win me a prize though in Denis's derby so a couple littlins can't be bad. I'll take a booby prize anyday. One month to go so you never know :D  They're getting fatter every day now so I imagining a late March perch record. :o  But where will it come from????

11151[/snapback]

where ya get those damn fish?

Guest chilli

In my hut :P

I'll show you if you want to go but I won't tell you. Not till the end of March :P

I see perchmans spot has been getting full of garbage. Cleaned some up the other day. I won't post specifics anymore. Although I see this spot has been fished before I stumbled across it, I don't believe it's well known so I'm going to keep it hush. Blame the litter bugs. All I'll say is Welland :D I finnally hit a day they were hungry. :o

Guest Perch man

Chilli

you need to go down a little and fish in front of the big wall right there.There is crappies and pike down there. Never got any big ones thow.

JEFF

Hey Chilli.........I rented Gill's Aquaview last week..........went to the Welland Canal with it.............I couldn't believe how the perch would suck in the minnow but not the hook.........might not hurt to go with a smaller hook............I caught lots of perch but missed even more I tried glow (teardrops) then the perch would hit the glow of the jig and not the hook again.......maybe hiding the hook with worm could help...........don't know but I'm going to find out on the weekend..........you should rent gill's aquaview it's well worth the $20 ..........anyways goodluck..........JHM

ahh... just when the wife lands a job and steals my car for the day... stillhaven't done the ice fishing thing, honestly it doesn't look like something i'd wanna do too often, but i've gotta give it a go anyways just to see if i likey or not :P

Nice catch, was trying to get into those earlier in the year so the wifey could have a taste.... after the damage she did to my 'Bow i cooked up i don't think i wanna share with her anymore :o

Guest chilli

fry.jpg

mmmmmmmm perch

jhm123452000 funny you should mention that. I've been hearing all this finesse advice for perch and have tried teardrops, fly's, maggots etc etc etc and nodda. Today I said screw the finnesse, I'm going back to the basics and tied on a pickeral rig with long shank gold hook (Red Wolf crap) and big honkin minnows. You know what. I had to keep some dinks because they swallowed the whole thing!! When it comes down to it they're either hitting or they're not. For ten minnutes I had to forget a rod because I couldn't keep up with both. I got a double header and then they were gone as fast as they came.

Now I've posted picks of the whole process accept the last one. Screwing threw the ice, picking the tackle, fish in the hut and then in the pan. I'll post the last step first thing in the morning if you want toilet.gif

Hey Chilli: I want your GPS numbers :P O wait that was another post, we don't give them out :lol:B) Catfish

Guest cplummer

theres fish in welland? that just can't be safe to eat if there are fish there !! whats that in the frying pan? chilli omlets? lol..

cliff...

Guest chilli

No chili in these guys. These were for the kids. Unfortunately it's the first taste of perch Daddy's been able to provide this year. Boy if there's ever a depression we'll all starve.

Rob if you lend me your GPS I'll give you the numbers. I can trust you to respect the fishery and enviroment. It's getting harder to find guys who give a damm. We got plenty here who post but I swear there's those "lurkers" who just read the post then go there to drink coffee and spread there trash :P

I have an idea for new legislation B) Anyone caught littering should lose their hunting and fishing liciense for 1 full year. :lol:

I know the spot !!!! :lol: The bidding starts at $20 . ! CASH !! Ya .guys, the last time I was out , I picked up 4 coffee cups & a coffee carboard holder from Tim H. These may or may not have been tossed by fishermen but no effort on my part to grab the garbage on the way back to the van. I pick up cig. packages off my front property every week from the slobs who are near brain dead anyways.! :P

If anyone's interested there's alot of perch behind the Welland Arena...........That's where I've been fishing........I park at the Senior Recreational Center on Lincoln st. right by the bridge........Just park in the back corner and no one will bother you.......but like chilli said keep thing clean.........If it helps any I drill 5-6 holes and keep going hole to hole...........get a couple then nothing move ..........Question??????........Anyone been to simcoe lately would it be worth going up on the weekend?................JHM.........

Guest watch dog

That is the welland canal right by the welland dock (KD dock ) as some know it

It is between bradway bridge and the old ski club.

Tom

Huhh???

Nice post Chilli. Good to see everyone is respecting your wishes of keeping spots like this secret....... :P

For the sake of preserving "My spots" I try not to post pictures with distinct backgrounds in them. It seems like no matter what, someone is always pretty excited to be the one to break the secret to everyone.

JHM, Simcoes been good, but don't expect to drill a hole and be on the perchies, you gotta chase them down. The past couple times I've gone, I got lazy and sat on one spot most of the day. Decide to move as it's getting late and the pail is still empty. The ice is plenty thick on Cooks bay, lots of trucks out there. If you're planning on drilling holes with a manual auger, bring a buddy to help with the drilling. You also might want to look into an auger extension. My Finn bore was about 3 inches from the bend in the handle when I broke through last Saturday...

Easy Watchdog........I'm trying to help put people on fish......lol.......not keep you from Chilli's spot I have no idea where he fishes........isn't that the point of this site I've been given spots and I return the favour when I can........lol.......I'm done fishing in the Canal going scouting to find ( Big Bass Riches) secret pond with those Crappie..........Here I come Rich......lol........

Guest chilli

Hey watch dog. 15 years but your dead wrong :P:lol::lol: My God man your a happy fellow. I'm so tempted to post the rest of the picture and call it "How well don't you know Niagara :lol:

:angry2: You just know this post is getting moved soon ;)

Archived