Tourny setup advice

hometownhandyman

I am looking at setting up a fundraising fishing tournament for a group home that my wife is the executive director of. The whole thing needs to be started from scratch, and will be targeted at a specific population. That means it will not be open to the general public.

The place I am thinking about is Valen's Conservation area due to the following reasons:

1 It has handicapped fishing facilities so the residents can participate

2 There are lots of family activities, as the target population tends to have large families

3 It is centrally located to Brantford Cambridge area where most of the target population lives.

Given these limiting criteria what do you suggest I do to attract sponsors?

Does anyone know of another suitable venue keeping in mind the above criteria that I could approach?

Do I need any permits, etc to do this?

The planned date is July 11

I anticipate a turnout of 25 - 40 participants at the most.

Any advice is welcome.

First order of business. Get in touch with the appropriate persons at the HRCA. They wil give you an idea as to viability, potentials, etc... They also have their own derby there so it is important to not have a conflicting date.

There are also alternatives through the GRCA at some of their conservation areas within your target area.

You really do need conservation authority approval before staging an event on their properties. There may be costs involved.

How are you getting the equipment? There was a sale at canadian tire with those rods that have the line already in them and come with a small tackle kit That some of us cringe at the sight of but they actually work pretty good and are fairly cheap I was thinking this would be good, just buy one for the use of each family and collect them back (or give the rods to them) when done. B)

Guest niagarariverpro

I have organized a few derbies and tournies mostly for kids and a few with crazy steelheaders ,,

PM me if you need and advice

Cliff..

Archived