French River Fishing

Nik

Hey guys I was hoping someone may be able to give me some insite on fishing the French River - Me and a couple of my buddies will be heading up to Wosly lodge last weekend of May for some Pike and hopefully Walleye. Has anyone fished there? Any idea what is best suited to that stretch of river at that time of year?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and thanks

I've been there. WE were thre in the summer, not spring though.

WE had the most luck when we left woseley bay and fished in the north channel of the french. We landed lots of large pike and walleyes in the deeper water. the provincial park was closed as well, meaning less traffic.

the bay was better for bass.

Thanks for the information Spikeattolah I will have to check it out. I have fished the french several times but never in this area...

How did you find the lodge as a whole?

I fish Hartley Bay up there great area for Pike, Bass, Walleye, Channel Cats, and Muskie's i use spoons for the Pike and harness with worms for the Walleye and i troll slowly for Walleye and cast for Pike.

Have fun

Great

I havent been up the woseley bay way in years so I really dont remember a thing about the place. I went to the Dokis last summer and didnt do too well, unfortunately we fished during a cold front. I plan on going back again as the place is beautiful but the dirt road is long and bumpy - I wont be bringing by boat up with me this time...

thats ok theres plenty of good shore fishing from there caught my biggest smallie a 4.5lber on a jig and a buddy named willy caught a 11lbs catfish from shore caught some nice pike and my first walleye from shore

I found the fishing pretty good at woseley, but I wasn't too impressed with the outfitter.

There were a lot of little things I didn't like - no anchors, lousy boat slip, our cottage was very close (under 10') to another, with a shared deck, lots of stairs, no parking for our cottage, no fire pit.

I hope it's better for your crew. He did have a lot of repeat customers.

They did have good boats though, the price was decent, and the fishing was good.

I found the fishing pretty good at woseley, but I wasn't too impressed with the outfitter.

There were a lot of little things I didn't like - no anchors, lousy boat slip, our cottage was very close (under 10') to another, with a shared deck, lots of stairs, no parking for our cottage, no fire pit.

I hope it's better for your crew. He did have a lot of repeat customers.

They did have good boats though, the price was decent, and the fishing was good.

Yeah it seems like a good price for sure... Im glad you mentioned they dont have anchors - I will have to bring mine from home.

We did the fishing package with two guys to a boat for three nights and three full days - I thought that the price is hard to beat. Obviously come the time I will provide a report and let you know how we make out.

I own a boat but decided against bringing it up with me - for the price ($50 more a day they include a boat and gas and bait) i will personally save about that much in gas alone on the drive there and back by not pulling a boat that far.

Bassmaster12 thanks for the insite - unfortunately bass season wont be open for this trip but I'm sure I will be up there again this summer. Smallies is one species I generally excel in catching, its the walleye that are much tougher for me...

Thanks for your help guys... :blahblah1:

try double balded colorado worm harnesses with ornage blades and black beads. i can't remember the pink blade combo but it too was a double blade/hook worm harness. look through thier tackle supply up there, pretty sure they had a small shop to help ya out.

used to manufacture tackle for them a few years ago and they made the same order year in and out.

theres a small tackle and bait shop around the corner from were i go he's very helpful my fasther told him this was are firsttime down there told us what kind of lures to use for walleye, bass and i just managed to do good on the pike. he even gave us a map of all the best walleye spots in the entire park. one problem minnows were expesive as heck 6$ for a dozen Chubs so i collected my own.

try double balded colorado worm harnesses with ornage blades and black beads. i can't remember the pink blade combo but it too was a double blade/hook worm harness. look through thier tackle supply up there, pretty sure they had a small shop to help ya out.

used to manufacture tackle for them a few years ago and they made the same order year in and out.

I will have to give worm harnesses a try - really havent fished them before but it seems to be the consensus vote. Thanks for the advice - seems like the guy who runs the show up there is pretty decent and easy to talk to on the phone. I will definitely go out and pick up some harnesses before the trip though...

Bassmaster12 $6 a dozen for minnows isnt the worse that I have seen. I have heard stories of them selling in excess of a dollar a minnow at Nippising.

I think they are included with the fishing package that we took though...

Archived