Got Him! Biggest to Date!

DropTine

After being down in the dumps for missing that Jake in the morning, I headed out to the same spot, got there around 4:30pm, Got set up and only put out one hen decoy. Afte 15mins of callin I heard gobbling and he was hard on my calls, it took him 5 mins to cover atleast 150yds of bush to the field and he strutted and gobbled his head off to 30yds where I rolled him out with the 3 1/2" #5 Hevi-13!

21.5lbs

9.25" beard

Matching 7/8" spurs

Sorry about bad quality, blame the Blackberry Cell Phone

Picture152.jpg

Picture157.jpg

Picture161.jpg

Picture160.jpg

Matt

Good going man !!! Nothing like hearing that gobble getting closer and closer , what a rush !!!

Now i just need to find a bush to hunt again !

Usually hunt PA but was late on sending gun registration to the ATF

Congrats !!!!!!!! B)

It doesn't matter if it's a big gobbler , or a bull moose coming in to greet you , the rush is the same ! Congratulations , that a fine looking turk man !

It took 30 minutes for me to move. sweating my ass off in the blind I decided to make a wardrobe adjustment. Guess what? There's a hen with a big Tom right behind here. As I picked up and made the bead on his head it disappeared behind a tree and into the scrub.

About one hour later I heard a hen and a gobble. Every time I called she returned a call. I figured if I called her in he'd follow but I got suspicious when she got closer and he remained where he was. Her call started to sound like my 7 year old,s diaphragm call. I heard a twig snap behind me and looked to see another hunter! I called him in alright only I had a shotgun and a steel blind. The hunt of opening day ended 10 minutes early :angry:

Congrats DropTine. Hoping my next reply comes with a picture like yours :D:P

Nice going Droptine!!!!!! I got out opening morning and saw ZIPPO :dunno:

Chilli: When that other hunter showed up, I'm presuming you were not using a gobble call. What the heck was that guy doing stalking a "hen" B):blink::blink:

I took the seminar. That's why I don't stalk or gobble. I was safe and the other guy is lucky I'm a safe hunter. I will not point the gun until I have positively identified sex and species but not everyone is like that. Especially in a high tension game of chess like turkey hunting. I was told by the landowner that he was warned I might be out there too. Unfortunately the ticks are bad again this year and it forced him from his blind in the grass into the woods with me. The other thing that saved his ass is his diaphragm call sounds just like my 7 year olds and he called while a train was passing by which made me suspicious.

Hey guys don't ever say it's just a Jake! There is a very good population and those younger ones are great eating (from what I hear B) ). That is what it is all about right. I don't hunt for spurs and beards. Looking for a few good meals from the local bush! If you've already got birds its time to collect morals and fiddleheads.

Archived