Wellandport and the Rec canal

Erik.T.

Totally man I agree, let the kid have a good time. No big deal who really cares about the line you use. No matter what you do and post on this site someone always has something to say. You can do everything by the book according to the rules and there is always someone that will have a beef with how you do things. Forget what everyone thinks and has to say and just get out there, play by the rules and have a great time doing it. The rest of them can spend their days complaining that everyone is not as awesome as they are. :Gonefishing:

I totally agree ! Eric is wayyyy advanced over my fishing knowledge when I was 14 yrs. old . And we used 20 -25 lb. black nylon ,no stretch line in those days back in the fifties . I just advised another young fisherman to use 20 lb. braid while fishing for pike in weed beds to enable the fisher to pull up or break off the weeds to land the pike . With 10 lb. mono ,say good bye to Mr. pike and it may end up dead with your J13 in its mouth . I really don't like braid , I seem to lose big fish with hard head shakes that can rip a hook out . When using braid I use a floro carb. leader & if I get snagged on bottom , I will wrap the braid around a stick & the line break at the knot where the floro is tied .So I use 20 lb.braid or 20 lb mono which has a larger diam. & memory & cuts down the casting distance . There is a new braid out that is 30 lb test with a 6 lb diameter . That means more line on the spool and better casting distance .....watch the bass guys try this out ! :Gonefishing:

Eric is a very knowledgable young man & his posts impress me . I hope to meet up & fish with him sometime and have a good chat ! Keep up the good work (fishing) Eric.! :)

The snelled mustad hook that I was using has about 6 inches of what I think is 10lb mono anyways then it goes to a swivel then to the 30lb braid.

Thanks for the comments, :)

nice Bass there! I also use braided line (8 pound) does the job just fine for me, I have cought 15 pound carp and such with it. I have also had them break off, so i was gonna go switching it to 10 or 15, I hope that dosent make my fishing skills go down haha. Most the time i get stuck up on line snags its all from mono, but this dosent happend to much.

I'll have to agree on the lightening up part ... I've fished this area extensively for 30 years, and I'll have to say I've seen a million times more discarded bird's nests of mono. Come to think of it, I've never seen a bird's nest of braid discarded on the ground. I now use ONLY 8lb braid, with a 4' leader of either mono or fluorocarbon. I've never lost even a foot of it in the water. Besides, I've used one spool of braid now for 3 years, with mono I used to have to re-spool 3-4 times a year. I think if you don't know how to fish, you're going to lose line, be it mono or braid ....

IMHO

Paul

Not weighing in on the line issue... :Gonefishing:

But I would like to commend Erik on his well thought out and respectful reply!!

Most kids i've seen on other sites would just give you an F'you and thats it.

I've been very impressed with him and other younger anglers on here. :)

Archived