Fishing today.

Erik.T.

First I forgot the worms at home so we spent a good half hour in the nearest city looking for worms. Then we went on the backroads in hillbilly country where we saw a sign for worms. I proceded to buy the worms from an old man that was as close to drunk as you can be without actually being drunk. We tried for some trout in another stream that I had found......................instead we got chub. Then we tried for bass in a local stormwater pond and we were not dissapointed but since the fish are almost entirely wiped out during the winter there were only dinks and a few fair sized ones.

Bassstormwaterpond.jpg

As we were going home my dad suggested that we hit a local pier that we had tried many times before and caught nothing. And so we had not been to the pier for about 5-7 years. And so we fished right beside the pier and saw a school of shad come in. Then while I was bouncing my worm along the bottom WHAM!! Then there was the the screech of my drag.........then we realized we forgot the net at home.....................But we got it anyways. It wasnt as big but it was the biggest fish I had ever caught off of lake ontario.

Suckerfish.jpg

suckerfish2.jpg

And I just realized that I am starting to grow a moustache......................cool. :lol:

Anyways does anyone know how to catch suckers? Should I use corn? I had to try really hard to hook the sucker. Also is there any way that the shad can be caught? There were some big ones but I heard that they only go after plankton. And last but not least : what is the best way to fish for carp in deep water maybe 20-30 feet?

Hello Erik.

The depth does not matter if fishing carp with a hair rig. If you saw carp cruising around a pier in Lake Ontario you need to get them to start feeding off the bottom. Look for a good spot and put plenty of bait down. Then wait.

Nice snagg, ops catch.... the sucker looks like its snagged on the belly. And you need to clip that excess braid from your hook, fish see that..........

Do they ever, that could be a good way to get skunked in a day!

Nice catch though!

cheers

:lol:

Nice snagg, ops catch.... the sucker looks like its snagged on the belly. And you need to clip that excess braid from your hook, fish see that..........

Naw I took the hook off and was holding it in my hand that stuff on the belly was the suckerfish crapping on my hand. And yeah I gotta clip the excess...................... I forgot about that.

The second one though that I almost landed looked liked a foul hook it was by the pectoral. The third one was a bite but I did not set the hook hard enough and he just spit it out.

I like your shirt Eric .....nice fish ! Now about that sucker.......they like plain ole worms bunched up on a hook . The red horse sucker is a little tougher & thrashes about like a trout .We used to get lots of them in the 12 mile creek ( 20km creek for you) :) . Did you happen to see a little banjo player in that hillbilly country ?? B)

Erik,

Do you keep all the fish you catch, I don't see a white bucket beside you.............. :)

Never except for the first fish I ever caught at a trout farm but I was required to take it home.

I like your shirt Eric .....nice fish ! Now about that sucker.......they like plain ole worms bunched up on a hook . The red horse sucker is a little tougher & thrashes about like a trout .We used to get lots of them in the 12 mile creek ( 20km creek for you) B) . Did you happen to see a little banjo player in that hillbilly country ?? B)

Thanks! The shirt I got at a finnish festival a while ago and I was using a ball of worms but it didnt seem to work that well. And no we did not see a little banjo player in hillbilly country :) but we did see a little town like the one in "Deliverance" We noticed that everybody out there drives red pickup trucks.

Thanks! The shirt I got at a finnish festival a while ago and I was using a ball of worms but it didnt seem to work that well. And no we did not see a little banjo player in hillbilly country :) but we did see a little town like the one in "Deliverance" We noticed that everybody out there drives red pickup trucks.

I didn't think you would know what I meant with the banjo player since you weren't even born when that movie was made ! Red pickups eh ? I was going to check a 2004 Ford F-150 out a few days ago but it was sold quickly . Some banjo picker bought it ! B) And Eric , I have seen suckers caught on minnows & I caught one when I was your age on an artificial fly while looking to catch a trout in a shallow stream in 12" of rippling water which is part of the upper 12 mile creek . Guys at Port Dal.have caught them on roe bags as well in January !

I didn't think you would know what I meant with the banjo player since you weren't even born when that movie was made ! Red pickups eh ? I was going to check a 2004 Ford F-150 out a few days ago but it was sold quickly . Some banjo picker bought it ! B) And Eric , I have seen suckers caught on minnows & I caught one when I was your age on an artificial fly while looking to catch a trout in a shallow stream in 12" of rippling water which is part of the upper 12 mile creek . Guys at Port Dal.have caught them on roe bags as well in January !

Cool! Thanks I'm also trying to get those big gizzard shad as well tomorrow :)

Archived