first attempt at boilies

Luvevolution

well guys. I made my first ever attempt at making boilies tonight.

my ingredients were:

8 oz of Semolina

6 oz of Soy Flour

2 oz of powdered (crushed) white rice

4 eggs

1 pack of Raspberry Jello

red food colour

1 healthy dash of Corn Syrup

I let the kneeded mixture sit for 15 minutes, then rolled them into roughly 20mm balls and boiled for 2 minutes. then let them sit for an hour before putting in the freezer on a tray, so they don't freeze together. they turned out a dark shade of pink. I had a little bit left on my hands, so I tried it............not overly sweet, but sweet enough that I kinda like em. LOL. before I boiled them, they smelled very rasberry-like, but after boiling, not so much.

not sure if this will be any good, but gonna give em a whirl anyway. so, I guess I'm looking for input and advice from you guys that have done this before. is this gonna be enough? or should I be doing something else that I've missed or overlooked? any advice would be appreciated. thanks.

there tasty i tried one you can really taste the rice and it smells very sweet

yeah, you seemed to enjoy it as you wolfed it down. LMAO. good night out fishing Joey. can't wait to fish gate 12. should be interesting.

yeah, you seemed to enjoy it as you wolfed it down. LMAO. good night out fishing Joey. can't wait to fish gate 12. should be interesting.

should be with a 40% chance of rain thats at 1mm what kind of threat is that!

should be with a 40% chance of rain thats at 1mm what kind of threat is that!

Carful joey you know the Wx man is more then likely wrong Its going to end up being 3'' of rain and gale force winds :)

Now did you eat all of his boilies???

Carful joey you know the Wx man is more then likely wrong Its going to end up being 3'' of rain and gale force winds :)

Now did you eat all of his boilies???

just one it was good

Those look really good. My first attempt, sucked badly. lol.

Here's the ones i have made, i always like to have various ones on hand.

Anyway, here's what mine look like:

IMG_0428.jpg

Yellow ones: Vanilla/Peach/cornmeal

Dark Brown: Cinnamon (these are my favorite ones by far)

Light Brown: Maple/Bran (these came out a bit too soft)

Red: Fruit Punch (so kinda like a tutti frutti flavor)

hey Steeler. just wondered what ingredients you use to make the cinnamon boilies. I have the soy and the semolina, if that's in those too. just wondered what the additives are. thanks for any info.

Good work on the boilies guys and thanks for starting this thread. I have made some with limited success. I caught mainly in the spring in places where I know the fish are stacked up. The ones that worked best for me were pineapple. I like making my own infused cow corn and rarely use boilies though. Definitely post some pics of your captures on your baits guys. There's no better feeling than catching on your own baits

Does anybody use just plain old breadballs anymore? I used to use these often with really good sucess in some small ponds. We would just bring some fresh bread and roll in to balls in our fingers. They always seemed to work about equal to corn once we chummed to get them in the area. All the talk about carp on here this summer and I don't think I have heard them mentioned.

Does anybody use just plain old breadballs anymore? I used to use these often with really good sucess in some small ponds. We would just bring some fresh bread and roll in to balls in our fingers. They always seemed to work about equal to corn once we chummed to get them in the area. All the talk about carp on here this summer and I don't think I have heard them mentioned.

Bread balls were hot last year at my spot. Tried them this year and nothing touched them!

thats all i use in the summer time

i tried bread balls once this summer and didnt get anything...back to corn i went.

seems to me that they come off the rig too fast.......soften up in the water. unless of course, you hit a sweet spot and the fish will take it right away. good luck with that around here though. I think the fish know we're coming and leave. LMAO

seems to me that they come off the rig too fast.......soften up in the water. unless of course, you hit a sweet spot and the fish will take it right away. good luck with that around here though. I think the fish know we're coming and leave. LMAO

You have to pack the balls tight (get your mind out of the gutter)

Ive had bread balls last on the hook for over an hour!

You have to pack the balls tight (get your mind out of the gutter)

Ive had bread balls last on the hook for over an hour!

that's not too bad at all. if you moistened them just a tad and rolled em in a salt/cinnamon mix, they also might do well . worth a try anyway. :(

Here's something I have picked up from reading about boilies. The guys that make their own and are successful in using them always make way more than they will use as a hook bait. They chum their swims ( the spots they will be fishing ) with plenty of the boilies they made. They use both whole and broken up boilies for this. Hope this helps.

Archived