The imgainary line.

AwolRJ

I'm born and raised in Ny so no way is this bashing anyone, just a question. I know if we go to the American side to fish we need a American License. The other hand though do the Americans need a Canadian one? I have never seen a boat get checked out in Lake Erie and we always make sure to stay on our side of the line(GPS), 90 percent of the boats fishing near us are American in Canadian water. Do you think all these boats have there license or they just know Canada don't enforce crap out there. Only reason that made me ask this is when I was reeling in a fish the other day I looked over to the guy starring at me and he was chugging a miller lite and sure enough NY boat, that made me think that they know Canada just doesn't care or have the man power to control it. Where I have been fishing this last few weeks is surely not a secret, I just wonder why MNR doesn't come out and check the 100 or so boats out there instead of waste there day checking 10-20 people on shore somewhere. All it would take is a couple trips to lake Erie and Ontario to let everyone know they mean business. I've been fishing here for close to 20 years now and still have never been asked to see my license, Don't even know what Mnr looks like, Maybe there undercover in American boats lol! :D

They've actually been out full force the last week writing up lots of tickets. The reason I know is because a few americans that got pinched came in to buy licences.

Wow, figures one of the days I miss! Glad they were out. I would like pictures someday just to prove they exist lol. :D

The big cruiser they use has to be available over a large area. Last time I ran into them, they had trailered the boat from Kingston and were putting in at Chippewa for the upper river.

A US sheriff pass us on monday at the upper, There were no other boats beside us. They did not even bother checking to see if we have US or CA license. We have both.

A US sheriff pass us on monday at the upper, There were no other boats beside us. They did not even bother checking to see if we have US or CA license. We have both.

the police don't care if you have a licence......they won't even check. we were down at the Queenston dock and there was an NRP there for a while watching us and the boaters. all he asked was if the fishing was any good. all they care about is if you are drinking and boatingand all the rest of that good stuff. a friend of mine is on the NRP marine unit, so if you run into them, you'll deffinitely be seeing my friend. they only wanna make sure you ahve the correct number of PFD's, no drinking, operators card, etc, etc. if you are fishing, they'll just ask you how the fishing is, since licencing isn't in their juristiction, just the operation of the watercraft/vessel. my buddy has said he would like to check for that stuff, since he knows guys do it illegaly, but it's beyond his control and he doesn't get paid enough to babysit. LOL.

I was checked on the upper river 2 weeks ago by our MNR. I mentioned to them that it was great too see them out checking and that I would like too see them out more often. They were in a nice new boat and they told me there will be more on the water inforcement. I was told that the new boat is stationed in Jordan and the will be patroling the lower river when the Stealhead are running.

I've heard they were out laying fines in the Eastern basin last week. I won't be fishing US waters this year because I'm not buying a passport just so I can go purchase my licience.

They should easily be able to lay enough fines to pay for extra CO's and equipment. They should also be sharing info with the US so when the guys go home and refuse to pay the fine, the USCG can pay special attention to those boats for awhile and vice versa here.

How could you be fishing so close to someone that you could read their beer can?? Thats a little too close esp if your using riggers or boards.. And the nrd are always out on the lake.. i live in port colborne and i always see them launching their boats/ seados at hh knoll.. and yes if the mnr has nrp power then the nrp sould have mnr power... and if you think about it, if the mnr would send more guys out they would make more money writing up tickets to hire more men and get more boats... there are lots of people out there breaking fishing regs either on purpose or not even knowing they are.. just my 2 cents!

I got a ticket in june for doing something i didnt know was illegal because i never read the regs... now i know it was my own fault for not reading them anf knowing what is right and wrong.

How could you be fishing so close to someone that you could read their beer can?? Thats a little too close esp if your using riggers or boards.. And the nrd are always out on the lake.. i live in port colborne and i always see them launching their boats/ seados at hh knoll.. and yes if the mnr has nrp power then the nrp sould have mnr power... and if you think about it, if the mnr would send more guys out they would make more money writing up tickets to hire more men and get more boats... there are lots of people out there breaking fishing regs either on purpose or not even knowing they are.. just my 2 cents!

I got a ticket in june for doing something i didnt know was illegal because i never read the regs... now i know it was my own fault for not reading them anf knowing what is right and wrong.

Only Gold can I know with a white shield...

No sightings today, we killed em for the 3rd or 4th trip in a row. Even a few kamakazi bass along with the normal catfish, eyes and sheepies. I actually saw the Erie county sheriff today, waved as he went by a good mile or 2 in Canadian waters, whats the deal with that?

Denis is right. Two weeks ago Tues evening I was out in the channel in front of the Fort and up comes an Ontario MNR boat checking for my license. Where have they been all these years? Needless to say, they busted a lot of US boats who don't bother with Canadian fishing licenses. Caught totally by surprise.... they usually have no idea a Canadian license is required. That was a Tuesday evening, but if they came out say Sat or Sun 8 am, they could pay for the new boat along with their weekend overtime with the fines passed out.

I have a New York State license but don't bother going into their waters anymore. Tired of the hassle of being pulled over by about 6 different agencies. Just to mention a few, Erie CountySherriff, Border Patrol, City of Buffalo police, Coast Guard, City of Tonawanda police in a new green boat, and I'm sure I'm missing a few more. They have to fine boaters just to pay for all the high horsepower boats, manpower and gas they burn.

Hope their catching some bad guys too...

Archived