Fish Decoys

Erik.T.

Does anyone here carve their own fish decoys? have you noticed improved chances of catching fish with them. The reason is that I am signed up with a fish decoy carving class is that I was hoping to use the skills I learn there to carve fish sculptures.

I thought they were used by the natives through the ice in conjuntion with a spear, lure the fish into sight and stick him.

Somewhere I recall a painting of a native on the ice with a skin over him to block the light to see better and a spear poised in one hand . Perhaps it was an Inuit and they were trying to lure a seal into range , not quite 100% sure.

Like they say " I have a photographic memory, just not same day service"

Anyway , good luck with your venture, the carvings on the website are really cool. My dad has been doing duck decoys for about 20 years now, not that you would use them as decoys, they are far too valuable for that.

fish decoys are rarely used anymore(more for collectibles) but being a carver myself the class will give you the basics of tool knowledge and knife saftey.After that the rest will be up to you i wish i could show you some of my pieces but i have no way of posting pic's yet hopefully soon i will.In the meen time post your progress ,always nise to see a new carver and watch your fingers.

I have antique carved walleye, the carving says 1906 canada, that quite some years ago, picked it up at a flee market about 4 years ago.

cool check the carvers name out on the web.

fish decoys are rarely used anymore(more for collectibles) but being a carver myself the class will give you the basics of tool knowledge and knife saftey.After that the rest will be up to you i wish i could show you some of my pieces but i have no way of posting pic's yet hopefully soon i will.In the meen time post your progress ,always nise to see a new carver and watch your fingers.

I have lots of experience with knives I have had one since I was 10. Some people from finland gave me my first pukko then. This carving looks fairly straight foreward and our garage looks like a machine shop because my dad has so many tools/machines so hopefully I will be able to put them to good use.

I have lots of experience with knives I have had one since I was 10. Some people from finland gave me my first pukko then.

Puukko? I haven't heard that name since i was a boy. The older Finns all had their favourite working knives for carving, etc.... I wound up getting 2 sloyd ( or slojd) knives from Mora. Near indestructible they are.

Puukko? I haven't heard that name since i was a boy. The older Finns all had their favourite working knives for carving, etc.... I wound up getting 2 sloyd ( or slojd) knives from Mora. Near indestructible they are.

I have found the puukko very very usefull around the house. And I think I do have a swede sloyd knife buried somewhere in the garage I have seen it before. My grandpa's puukko that we have preserved was made of the aluminum from a shot down russian airplane but im not allowed to use it for obvious reasons.

Speaking of which I have to get my other one sharpened and de-rusted. I am also taking a lure carving class at the same place. I have seen the basic steps for carving a fish and they all look pretty easy except for the painting. That looks hard.

Archived