My homemade lures

Erik.T.

I took a class at Lee valley and learned hoe to use a wood lathe which is quite useful and I learned how to do other stuff.

The crankbait like lures were both carved but the topwaters were turned.

IMG_1851.jpg

These were my first lures ever so I wasn't too concerned about the painting.

If anyone else has any pictures of their homemade lures I would like to see them as well.

this post has been modified for the visually impaired

Hey, that's not bad at all. I have in the past bought some large spoons and added other colors and spots, etc and holographic-like strips. However, making them from scratch is a good idea and your first attempt is really quite good. Where is lee Valley where you took the course? Lure making would be a great course. Too bad it's not offered at the local college In Niagara as an interest course. Do you think folks would sign up for it? I know I would.

D.F.

Great job Erik.

nice job Erik. they turned out very good. if you want some advice, here's an idea for you to mull over.........

I would ask your parents and/or family to buy you an airbrush, if you don't already have one. brushing anything is ok, but you will notice a world of difference if you start airbrushing your work. you can use the same paints you already use, just thin them out a little and they will airbrush just fine. the other good thing about an airbrush is you can shade very effectively, even down to the size of a pencil line in thickness if you get a dual action airbrush. you can also change the colour of paint by adding another thin layer of another colour over the top of a wet paint surface, so you can blend backgrounds into foreground work.

something to think about anyway, since you want a lure to look as natural as possible. the other thing about having an airbrush and becoming profficient with it.............you can make a ton of money on the side, cause people always want something done. I've made money painting motorcycle tanks, goalie masks, car hoods, etc., etc.. extra money isn't such a bad thing either.................more money to spend on fishing gear, right? LOL.

nice job Erik. they turned out very good. if you want some advice, here's an idea for you to mull over.........

I would ask your parents and/or family to buy you an airbrush, if you don't already have one. brushing anything is ok, but you will notice a world of difference if you start airbrushing your work. you can use the same paints you already use, just thin them out a little and they will airbrush just fine. the other good thing about an airbrush is you can shade very effectively, even down to the size of a pencil line in thickness if you get a dual action airbrush. you can also change the colour of paint by adding another thin layer of another colour over the top of a wet paint surface, so you can blend backgrounds into foreground work.

something to think about anyway, since you want a lure to look as natural as possible. the other thing about having an airbrush and becoming profficient with it.............you can make a ton of money on the side, cause people always want something done. I've made money painting motorcycle tanks, goalie masks, car hoods, etc., etc.. extra money isn't such a bad thing either.................more money to spend on fishing gear, right? LOL.

actually my dad has an airbrush somewhere in the garage so I'll see if i can get it fired up in a couple of days but not tomorrow............tomorrow im going salmon fishing. ;)

Hey, that's not bad at all. I have in the past bought some large spoons and added other colors and spots, etc and holographic-like strips. However, making them from scratch is a good idea and your first attempt is really quite good. Where is lee Valley where you took the course? Lure making would be a great course. Too bad it's not offered at the local college In Niagara as an interest course. Do you think folks would sign up for it? I know I would.

D.F.

the course was at the lee valley on kingston in scarborough. I would like to learn how to do metal lures some time later.

It's a fun hobby. Been at it for a while, when you get things figured out and the fish start coming in on your own baits, makes the experience so much better.

these are 10 and 14" bodies

Aug_22_600.jpg

nice looking lures. very natural looking.

It's a fun hobby. Been at it for a while, when you get things figured out and the fish start coming in on your own baits, makes the experience so much better.

these are 10 and 14" bodies

Aug_22_600.jpg

cool designs!

hey erik nice job! really good for your first time too. i've turned a few things on the lathe before, its a great machine and i never really thought to turn lures with it lol, fail. but i've made some drum sticks and mallets and table legs etc. a few years more of practice and you will be a pro

hey erik nice job! really good for your first time too. i've turned a few things on the lathe before, its a great machine and i never really thought to turn lures with it lol, fail. but i've made some drum sticks and mallets and table legs etc. a few years more of practice and you will be a pro

lol Ill be making table legs and lures till I run out of wood!

Nicely done Eric ! It has crossed my mind to make a few lures from balsa wood , maybe a jointed lure would be easy to try . I would take the easy way and buy some doweling ,sold in any hardware store & shape it with a disc sander . Maybe the paint they use for lead heads which is a powder paint & heated, would be good to use for the main body colours. Don't throw out your brooms ! :dunno:

Nicely done Eric ! It has crossed my mind to make a few lures from balsa wood , maybe a jointed lure would be easy to try . I would take the easy way and buy some doweling ,sold in any hardware store & shape it with a disc sander . Maybe the paint they use for lead heads which is a powder paint & heated, would be good to use for the main body colours. Don't throw out your brooms ! :dunno:

Thanks! im not sure how they make balsa lures strong. The hooks are screwed in a fair ways but if it was balsa im sure they would rip right out. What you might have to do is carve one out of balsa then cut it in half and join all the hooks up to the eye (for the line) using wire then glue the halves back together and put on lots or layers of paint and varnish. just a suggestion. My lures were made out of bass wood and the cranckbait was carved out of pine. And remember to carve with the grain or if you try carving something like the crankbait the wood will split and take a huge chunk off you lure.

Unfortunatly I don't do much lure fishing so it might be some time till I get a hook up but then again I might just keep these because they are my first lures and I wouldn't want to lose them.

We used balsa minnows in the 1960's for walleyes . They were very cheap & worked great & the mono line was attached directly to the lure & it had to be tied just below centre to work properly . I believe there was a wire right through the centre which was bent into a loop . But those lures ,which were made to look like a Raplala , would become frayed & a pike would leave the lure useless . If you google up "balsa fishing lures" you'll find a lot of ideas on body shapes & colours .Here's one close to the balsa minnow we used........

picpelicansuperpinky05.jpg

We used balsa minnows in the 1960's for walleyes . They were very cheap & worked great & the mono line was attached directly to the lure & it had to be tied just below centre to work properly . I believe there was a wire right through the centre which was bent into a loop . But those lures ,which were made to look like a Raplala , would become frayed & a pike would leave the lure useless . If you google up "balsa fishing lures" you'll find a lot of ideas on body shapes & colours .Here's one close to the balsa minnow we used........

picpelicansuperpinky05.jpg

cool Im gonna take apart a rapala one day just to see if there is a wire inside the lure connecting the hooks

Erik

I would suggest using Cedar, it is better in the marine environment, and the paint and undercoating sticks well to it. Cedar is also more boyant than bass giving your baits a faster action.

Sure my parents just didn't want me working with cedar because my grandfather did and his lungs started to fail because of the sawdust from the cedar. Apparently cedar is actually somewhat poisonous. But If i carved it maybe. I will keep it in mind.

Erik:

BTW.. I meant to post yesterday. Great first time work on those lures.

Alex

Archived