Fish Cleaning Styles

marth11

Well last night me and my Dad got into a little debate on our different styles of cleaning fish of certain size mainly Perch, My dad thinks all fish except for trout and salmon should filleted by means of cutting along the gill plate down to backbone, turning knife and gliding down towards tail, I agreed to cleaning fish like that, that are larger such as Bass and Walleye, but I say that Pan Dressing is easier for smaller fish such as once again perch too pan dress simply grab fish by lips and scale from tail to head, then with a strong sharp heavy knife cut of head, make a slit down to its ass and stick your finger in and remove the guts. Well what do you guys think is a better way to clean Perch, fillet or Pan Dressed.

fillet no bones that way thats how we do all our fish

thats what I like about Filleting but Pan Dressing leaves more meat and when its done all the bones fall out anyways

I think a lot of Euro's prefer your method Bassmaster12 cuz it saves more meat. My ethnic background is Serb and when it comes to perch or any smaller fish, a lot of us don't even bother taking the head off. Just scale and gut it. Then make 2 or 3 vertical cuts on the body with a knife so the salt and spices get rubbed in good, then dredge in flour and drop 'em in the fry pan. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Dependent on the fish size and how much time I have or how patient I am feeling, I do normally prefer fish boneless.

That being said you do lose alot of meat and the skin in many cases is what gives it the best flavor. If I am fishing pristine waters I never remove the skin.

Perch - butterflied boneless

Pike ............5 fillet method to rid of those "Y" bones

Sunfish/gills.... scale , gut , heads off , rib bones are short & large so take the cooked meat off the bones with a fork ......no waste , mmm good .

Catfish .......either cut skin behind the head & pull off with pliers , then fillet .....or fillet like any other fish & remove skin after .(same for ling)

Perch , bass , trout & most other fish .......fillet & skin ....except I leave the skin on if they are going to be frozen .

Smelts......scale (yep I scale em) :) , cut head off ,gut , eat the rest ,bones & all . :wub:

If you make a mistake ....fish patties ! :D

smelts are crazy.. they'll bite on a bare hook. My father used to use a piece of foil from a cigarette pack ... or you can use a piece of minnow or worm... he used to catch bushels of them, most over 10".. you don't see many that size anymore. We used to clean them with scissors...

If your good with the scissors , you can scale both sides of the smelts !!! :) Scissors helps to clean up smelts faster . All you need is an eyeball or small piece of another smelt to catch hundres in a few hours . Tastey little critters ....try smoking them . (in ur smoker) :wub:

Any fish larger then pannies I leave whole (ie. Trout, salmon, walleye and so on....) Perch and pan fish on the other hand I use this method, it takes some practise but once you get the hang of it you can clean a perch with in 10 seconds.

Enjoy the video.... it's one of my buddies doing the cleaning

If your good with the scissors , you can scale both sides of the smelts !!! :) Scissors helps to clean up smelts faster . All you need is an eyeball or small piece of another smelt to catch hundres in a few hours . Tastey little critters ....try smoking them . (in ur smoker) :wub:

Never thought of scaling the smelts. I use snips cut off head, tail etc., small slit in belly and gut them - Done in a few seconds

Archived