Carved trout

Erik.T.

I still gotta carve the fin rays and im not burning in the scales because on a fish this small I don't think the scales on a trout are visible to the naked eye. I could be wrong but either way I wanna keep it simple since its my first fish.

Used some basswood and some extremely thin wood. I used a small puukko that I found in our basement to carve most of the fish and a couple of chisels from Lee Valley a belt sander then some other finer sand paper.

carvedfish001.jpg

carvedfish002.jpg

carvedfish003.jpg

I might have to snap off the lower jaw to carve the inner mouth then glue it back on.

Any input or pictures of carvings that others have done would be greatly appreciated.

Almost forgot to add : this is a stream bull trout and painting will commence soon

Nice job , the shape is tapered nicely & looks very natural . The mouth looks good as is Eric . If you want to dig it out deeper , those Dremmel type tools have many attachments that will do the job . You will probably need to primer the fish before the finished paint job . I hope to see the finished product soon :)

looks good but i think the tail has to much of a V in it most trout the tails are fairly square

Thanks everyone for the input!

The bull trout is a fairly peculiar trout and has a fairly deep v in the tail so does the lake hazen char and the quebec "red trout."

but I will keep that in mind because I would like this to be accurate I might build up the end of the tail with something or maybe cut out a whole new tail.

and my dad found his extensive airbrush set that he used for models so I have to learn how to use that.

looks good but i think the tail has to much of a V in it most trout the tails are fairly square

Got to agree here, the tail is a little to pointed for a trout but all in all an excellent job Erik, keep up the good work. It's nice to see young guy's taking up a hobby like this instead of hanging out on street corners causing trouble. Kudo's to dude

Erik,

I am very impressed with this, it may be your first fish but you must have done some carving before. "no?" Great job. you may have just found a way to support your fishing habit. time to open up shop.

Matt

Thanks! I carved a piece of wood 1cmx1cm into a tiny pike once and I took a class on folk art fish decoys and lures. I had been taught to use a knife since I was around 9 or 10 it started me off with the basics. I just hope I don't screw up the paint job!

and flywire if I do screw up the paint job I will call it an abstract lake trout :)

Thanks I gotta get some glass eyes now!

You might find clear plastic eyes in the craft section in stores .If you can remove the black pupil part , you can paint the back like I do when mounting fish or make your own eyes using plexi-glass in various thickness & shaping out a pr. of eyes , sanding & polishing required . Just thinking .......you can add a few BIG trebles.......... :worthy:

Me and my dad are gonna see if we can get his airbrush unit set up......................he hasn't used his small compressor in 20 years...............I hope it doesn't explode :worthy:

I still gotta carve the fin rays and im not burning in the scales because on a fish this small I don't think the scales on a trout are visible to the naked eye. I could be wrong but either way I wanna keep it simple since its my first fish.

Used some basswood and some extremely thin wood. I used a small puukko that I found in our basement to carve most of the fish and a couple of chisels from Lee Valley a belt sander then some other finer sand paper.

carvedfish001.jpg

carvedfish002.jpg

carvedfish003.jpg

I might have to snap off the lower jaw to carve the inner mouth then glue it back on.

Any input or pictures of carvings that others have done would be greatly appreciated.

Almost forgot to add : this is a stream bull trout and painting will commence soon

Are you kidding me that looks great very nice job. Throw that kind of dedication into making fishing lures and Rapala will go out of biz.

post some more pics as you go along with this

I gotta wait a bit maybe tomorrow I will start painting. I only just put on the modelling putty to fill the cracks around the fins.

Archived