Gave it a go!

alexthegrrr8

Well i hit the water yesterday and today with my new ties. Yesterday I came up empty north of Fort Erie where I tried for pike and the like. I tried again today in a different area than I've been trying and......

http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/uploa...138_1185999.jpg

http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/uploa...5_138_78055.jpg

http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/uploa..._138_725154.jpg

Caught on a Zuddler.

Alex

Nice going Alex......you must be a happy camper catching those beauties on your own flies .Beautiful fall colours on that brown !! I haven't tied one fly yet ....doing the wall paper/paint thing , but I'll try my hand at the trade very soon .......hope I have the same luck ....... I mean skill that you have :D

Went down today with more of my ties. Some are variations others I might've developed... not too sure yet. I've dubbed the Mickey Finn variation that I tied the "Flying Grape" and the other the "Woolly Mammoth". Not too sure if they've been done but I'm loving using my imagination.

Today I hooked another one on of my creations but I lost the fight. My knots held up but it was after the fish broke my rod that I lost. I was winning right until my indicator showed it's face which made him about 19' out when you factor in rod length and leader. He was hunkered down making me think he was a Lake Trout until he made a little run getting out into open water. So I chased him reeling in my line... when my indicator showed itself there was a huge thrashing, some silver and I was at the end of some power that I have never felt before as my reel screamed. I chased him down more and was winning then the rod snapped 4 eyelets down, the tippet broke and that was that.

BTW for those of you wanting to know the water was up today compared to my last few tiimes. I'm figuring that it rose 8' and visibility was decent.

Alex

Congratulations on your fly caught fish. As someone who has chased local Salmonoids for the last 15 years with a fly.

I know how challenging it can be. Excellent pics and I like the fact that no specific location was mentioned.

Sorry about the rod thats a strange place to break one fighting a fish..

sorry to hear about your rod Alex, so how you making out tying the flies.I went and got vise and material sure is going to be an addiction.

pizmo:

Thanks for the condolences regarding my rod. I was bummed when it happened not so much because I lost the fish but I had to make the "walk of shame" with a partial rod. I guess I should carry two at all times.

The tying is going really well. I have my head nice and small and from what I hear getting the heads right is half the battle. I've gotten past doing the "Mickey Finn" that we were shown and I am delving into diferent patterns. I'm pretty sure that I developed one but I could be wrong. BTW... it's already an addiction and I have made enough flies to have the kit and some of the additional material already paid off. I think I touched on the fact that I'm loving using my imagination. The one that i refer to has a crazy action in the water more than any of the store bought ones that I have purchased this year.

Today I'm going to make a few Zonkers.

Alex

Congratulations on your fly caught fish. As someone who has chased local Salmonoids for the last 15 years with a fly.

I know how challenging it can be. Excellent pics and I like the fact that no specific location was mentioned.

Sorry about the rod thats a strange place to break one fighting a fish..

Nice to see another chap out here who has been chasing these beautiful fish as well with a fly. It took me a a little bit of "trial and error" to stumble on the right techniques. I'm just finding flies and split under an indicator the way to go... in particular streamer patterns. It was a moral victory just knowing that I might be doing something right with my ties. I've been doing it since Friday.

I've been trying to figure out why the rod broke there. Maybe there was a scratch or a nick in it and it got weakened. I mean for an 8 wt rod it really shouldn't have broken there. Maybe a 5 wt but not the 8 wt.

Thanks for the compliment on the pics.... I cannot take the credit for the pics as it was my wife who takes almost all of the shots while I fish.

Alex

Sometimes, when using a weighted fly or split-shot, you can tighten your loopup too much and drive the fly into the top of rod. It probably won't break immediately but it will be weakened. That's tough luck. Maybe you can try for a warranty replacement?

Sometimes, when using a weighted fly or split-shot, you can tighten your loopup too much and drive the fly into the top of rod. It probably won't break immediately but it will be weakened. That's tough luck. Maybe you can try for a warranty replacement?

Wooly:

Now what you suggest is a possibility. Intriguing thought for sure. I might try the warranty route but the shipping may not be worth it. It's a Cortland rod and when I asked them about te matching they had no clue as to what model I was referring to. When I sent them a pic of it...they didn't recognize it. I may just end up getting a new rod to replace it but instead of a true one-hander I might get a switch rod. More versatility. I'm thinking 11' 8wt.

Are you going next week?

Alex

I own many two handed rods that I use locally,none of them switch. The last time I fished with an Indy rig I used my little

two hand #7/8 wt. 11' 6" ft. ( Almost a switch ) and was not convinced it was an advantage. Depending on the switch you select you might not get a handle that would be truly meant for spey. Plus at 11 ft. that is a lot of strain on the wrist single handing it all day.

Then again if all you're doing is the Niagara it will allow you to use a longer leader for deeper holes. Most switches I believe are in the 10' 6" range. The Beulah is supposed to be a smoking hot deal for the money. In the Niagara I use a 14' 8" or a 13' 7" 9/10 two hand. With either a multi tip sinking line with intermediate belly or a floating shooting head and a 15-17 ft. mono leader. On the mono I run really heavy tube flies or dumbell eyes. My fishing however is swinging flies not drifting egg/nymph patterns

My vote for Indy rigging is still the good ole 10' ft. 8 wt. single hand because most Indy fishing is effective at close range.

You can also single hand spey cast a single hander by over loading the #8 weight rod with a #10 weight line. This is only an

advantage if you have no backcast room. Lots of people seem to like the switch rods thou.

Archived