Chippawa Creek Conservation Area

Technosis

I was wondering what you other guys on the board here thought of this site. I have been very impressed with it over the years. I have fished the tournaments a few times (mostly in the early/mid nineties, and actually won the prize for the biggest Bass in 1995, and the live release prize that year as well )

At the Chippawa park lake/pond I have always had action, no matter what the weather. I have had several incidental "non-stocked" catches. During the tournament I landed a really big White Crappy, and a 5 lb pike. (I didn't place that year...but had a great time).

I've thought about getting a Coleman Crawdad w/ an electric motor for fishing this area. The water is "no gas outboards" to limit polution. NOTE: Everything I've caught there has been released to fight again. This fishery is just too small to handle the "harvesting" of fish.

The water tends to mat up with weeds very quick, and unless cleared by the conservation staff, it can result in some tough and very frustrating fishing.

There are definitely some "Lunkers" in there. Wise and wary after years of rejecting anglers lures and bait!

Chris

(Technosis)

Guest FisherNick

Hey guys where abouts is chippawa park I have heard of this place before, thought i might check it out some time in the summer. Also when is this tournament?

Thanks Nick

it's a great bass fishery, lots of 1.5 - 2.5 lb largies, but a lot of guys keep these fish and eat them, not sure if that's good or bad, still plenty of fish to go around. if you don't keep some you could get a stunted growth rate. i believe they need more baitfish in that pond as there are some real skinny buckets. my buddy and I won and placed several times in that opening day derby a few years back. we both bought bass boats and he sold his bass tender so now we don't fish there, i definitely miss it for sure. i saw one decent sized boat(aluminum) in there with the big engine up but unless you have a 4x4 i wouldn't try it, bass boat is much heavier. my biggest bass in there was 23.5 " long and caught in october, weighed only 5.2 lbs on berkely due to an impoverished girth of only 15.5 ". real long, real skinny. we have caught several 3 + and a few in the 4 lb range but most are in and around 2lbs.

ps, no boat ramp jonathon! just a beach, don't even think about your boat!

I LOVE Chippawa Conservation Park, I grew up camping there and still camp there on the odd occasion in the summer.

Ive only taken part in one derby there and I didnt make out to well :dunno:

I caught a pike in there once it was only 2lbs and I caught a little channel cat but I have never really caught anything worth bragging about.

Last summer we camped there and my g/f didnt want to go fishing in a Canoe so we rented a paddle boat, and that wasn't a good idea as we were stuck out there cause some much weeds got tangled in the steering propeller and I didnt get to fish much cause I was too busy pullin weeds out the whole time cause we couldnt move.

This year its CANOE or nuttin :D:wacko:

As for the boat launch,

well there isn't one for the pond/lake (Dills lake is the name of it) but there is one in the park that goes onto the Welland River that goes on teh outskirts of the park.

Here you go FisherNick

Chippawa Creek is In Welland Port

18th Annual Bass Derby

Chippawa Creek Conservation Area, Saturday, June 25th, 7 a.m. – 3 p.m. Bring along your fishing licence to Dils Lake for this event with exciting prizes for largest catch by weight. $500 tagged bass to be caught. Great event for children wanting to experience a day of fishing at the lake. Derby registration fee is $5/13 yrs & over, $2/12 yrs & under, plus gate admission.

you can get direction by clicking this link

http://www.conservation-niagara.on.ca/campchipcreek.htm

Guest FisherNick

Thanks for the info Frop I may have to check it out.

I have a 15' Pro Mag but i think it may be too big to launch in a beach with a 4x2.

Regards

Nick

Hey guys where abouts is chippawa park I have heard of this place before, thought i might check it out some time in the summer.  Also when is this tournament?

Thanks Nick

12843[/snapback]

Hi Nick,

Just don't get confused with Chippawa park in Welland (1st ave & Fitch st). :worthy:

They have a small duck pond that doubles as a skating area in the winter. Maybe there's some goldfish in there, but I think it's only a few feet deep :P

I guess you don't have to worry about going to the wrong one since Frop helpfully posted a "directions" link.

Cheers,

Chris.

• 10 years later...

Dils's lake love the bass fishing in there i fish the derby as well there is some big bass there i grew up not far from there

and camped and still fish it

has any one ice fished it

NPCA does not permit fishing in the park during the off season and does not open fishing in the park until first weekend in July.

NPCA does not permit fishing in the park during the off season and does not open fishing in the park until first weekend in July.

OK thanks did not know that

Archived