Some more fish carving

Erik.T.

I got a wood burning pen as an early christmas present and it was able to do some more carving. There is a bit of modelling putty on the upper jaw because I kinda messed up there, but I think I fixed it. The sanding was kind of a pain in the a** because even when I went down to really fine sandpaper there were still parts of the wood that were "fuzzy" and so I had to put gesso on and then sand it down, then put another layer then sand it down, then another etc. I used the burning pen also to do the fin rays and a bit around the gills. I removed the pectoral fins so they don't get in the way when painting.

The Bull Trout

erikscarvedfish006.jpg

The Dolly Varden (will be in spawning colours)

erikscarvedfish005.jpg

The Atlantic Salmon (incomplete)

erikscarvedfish007.jpg

Some practice carving of a steelhead or salmon. I also experimented with the burning pen here.

erikscarvedfish004.jpg

Once the Atlantic salmon is finished I can try airbrushing all 3 fish (sometime this or next week). Hopefully it works out ok.

And after that on to the eyes.

Hopefully next week I will be able to go icefishing.

Very nice work!they look amazing,I can't believe you are just getting started.I might also consider leaving some unpainted as they look nice already.keep up the good work.Jesse

Looking good Eric , you have a natural artistic ability ....like the Fins who make nice knives :(

The fish forms are the same as former taxidermists made for mounting fish, using balsa wood. A lady by the name of Lampman in Fenwick used balsa wood inside her skin mounts & were excellent mounts . She was also an artist .....great with the oil paints .

I have used propane torches on mounting boards to darken the edges & slighty sand them to highlight the grain in the boards. That's tricky to do as you must keep the heat going at an even keel and some spots on the wood are softer than others. As you said , working with wood helps keep you from flipping out ! :blush:

Looking good Eric , you have a natural artistic ability ....like the Fins who make nice knives :(

The fish forms are the same as former taxidermists made for mounting fish, using balsa wood. A lady by the name of Lampman in Fenwick used balsa wood inside her skin mounts & were excellent mounts . She was also an artist .....great with the oil paints .

I have used propane torches on mounting boards to darken the edges & slighty sand them to highlight the grain in the boards. That's tricky to do as you must keep the heat going at an even keel and some spots on the wood are softer than others. As you said , working with wood helps keep you from flipping out ! :blush:

Thanks!

Cool when I was experimenting with the woodburning pen I noticed that even if you keep the pen moving that some parts darken more easily than others that explains why then.

My dad did the same thing with the burning of the wood to make the grain come out the problem he had was that the thing caught fire the first time and he didnt have anything to put it out with so it burned down lol.

Soon hopefully I will get a pattern book so that I can do larger fish and more different species. Im glad im doing smaller scale fish right now because I don't have to burn in all the scales.

Archived