Running Salmon..

fishnguy

at the moment there seem to only be salmon jsut off the pier, i know they are catching a few in the whirlpool, but jordan is still relatively slow, probably looking mid october before your knee deep in salmon

Hey Josh.........there seems to be a lot of salmon at the pool..............I went 2 for 6 this weekend............there just not agressive yet maybe need a cold spell big rain...........my fish came at sun up with glow spoons...........do you have a boat at port colborne marina?...............JHM

I don't even think they're staging at the Beacon yet.... need a few good rains and a cold spell.... sounds like next week is gonna be perfect weather to get them up there B)

832[/snapback]

[/quote

Either theres lots there or none. A couple times i went last year, it was too early and there wasnt a thing.

I've been fishing the 20 (bailey's bridge area) for about 20yrs now and every year it just gets slower and slower.... hopefully there'll be a big run this year, but i'm not counting on it..... i guess in theory the Beacon should holding a few now.... B)

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

spanky

Listening to some of the of the oldtimers B) of L.O. Salmon fishing,they were saying how good it was out there this year,I wouldn't be surprised if the river/shore fishing will be very good this year!

spanky

Listening to some of the of the oldtimers B) of L.O. Salmon fishing,they were saying how good it was out there this year,I wouldn't be surprised if the river/shore fishing will be very good this year!

845[/snapback]

LT

I hope so... i remeber the good old days when i was 7-13yo you could almost litereally walk across the crick on their backs.... too too plentiful were they.... i hope these "old timers" you speak of are right :huh:

Sorry to be negative, it's not like we have a lack of negativity here, but there is probably a reason it just keeps getting worse at Baily's Bridge every year. I don't know if you've noticed, but there is very little room to fight a salmon there. There is however, no shortage of fishermen along with their garbage, gut line and even a few stupid ones with waders. May I suggest you leave the few that make it up there alone to spawn so that in years to come their young can replentish a dying fishery there.

Besides, real fishermen catch slamon where they can peel some line before they smash into the rocks trying to evade capture. Do you really think they spawn after 20,000 casts a day going past their head not to mention all the delinquents pecking away at their dorsals with large gang hooks. Ya ya, I know, they die anyway right.

If I fish for salmon this year, it will be at Port D or the Niagara River so I know if I land one, I will have beaten it fair and square. Leave Baily's Bridge for the bears to fish. Thats the kind of spot where easy pickings meets the need to survive. I myself would be ashamed to fish such a no contest area for salmon. Try it later in the year or spring opener for the little trout with an ultralite and 6 pound test in the rapids. That takes a little skill at least and if you pinch the barbs you won't kill em all. Now there's a reason to fish Baily's Bridge!

Sorry if I've offended anyone here but my reply's intention is purely an attempt at conservation. If I can deter even a few of you from plucking out the helpless slobs, then maby in 20 years, there will be some there for the Grandkids to watch from the bridge. Always an exciting site for the kiddies.

Guest muskiehntr

hey chilli: i don't want to knock your conservation atiude, i think that it is great, but it is my belief that the fish don't sucsessfully spawn in our waters anyway, and that the fishery is just a 100% put and take. you do have a good point though it is shooting fish in a barell, and people who fish there really should educate them selves more on fishing and try to get a real salmon and not one of those intertubes they call a salmon up at the bridge. i like to say go for a real fish or why even bother!

Well i'm not sure how much difference there is in fishing the 20 or fishing PD.... there are areas on the 20 where they can peel the reel without problems (at the bridge no, 4 pools up from there, no).... 200ft down from the bridge is the first set of "rapids".... below that is where we typically fish, from where we fish down to the tressel and into the harbour and out to the lake has no obstructions and they can spool out your reel in no time or run you into the tree thats near by.... as you know the fish tend to make their runs up and down when hooked (even when cruising they'll go back and forth)..... fishing in an upper pool (past the 4 pools up- don't fish there myself) from shore usually ends in a break off.... it's not like shooting fish in a barrel in that entire stretch :huh:

The ignorance of some "anglers" (using that term loosely) to snag the fish shouldn't reflect on those of us whom fish legally and don't chase a "big fish" from spot to spot to spot.... i personally would be more upset to see someone at PD using 50lb line, as i've seen from time to time, really giving the fish no chance....

And besides, i can't put up with the crowds at PD.... was down there a couple times a few years back and watched a fight break out because someone wouldn't bring their line in when someone else was fighting a fish and they ended getting tangled and losing the fish.... of course it's like that at Jordan and gate 12 area aswell, but at Jordan i can wander for 10 minutes and find a spot where no one is around and fish by myself....

I not likely will fish the 20 this year as i'm sure it will be more than a PITA to find parking and with the cars being broken into now down there, it's not worth it.... was shown a nice laketrout area along the niagara that should keep me busy for a while anyways (gotta check the regulation guide for the season of the LT as i've never caught one or even bothered with it- gotta make sure to do it legally!!! :) )

As for spring fishing for trout, if you do so chilli, let me know and i'd be happy to join you as i've never been able to find the "right" time to get down there..... should have my ultralite by then and you can ask Gill/Tommy the size of the baits i use B) (just grabbed a rebel crickhopper, rebel wee frog, Strike king bitsy minnow to go along with my bumblebugs and helgramites.... all no bigger than 1/8oz... i even use mini-king spinner baits and 3" senko's.... i swear i'm a trout stream fisherman trapped in a bass haven lol) and i keep the 6lb mono on all year long and i LOVE my light fishing :D .... again, would be great to join you, if you fish trout in the spring :)

By the way Lake Trout is out of season after sept. 30th, so do not purposely target them in the niagara, i know lots of people catch them while fishing for rainbows and browns, but do not be caught purposely fishing for them. I believe the season reopens on Dec. 1st. It is just closed during there prime spawning period for conservation reasons.

tighlines

salmonman

Muskyhuntr is quite correct. Salmon do not successfully spawn around here(especially in the Twenty.)

853[/snapback]

Rick

I was talking to a biologist a couple of weeks back. He informed me that Salmon do indeed spawn in lake Ontario tribs.. I questioned his info,pointing to the a few articles I read in Great Lakes Magazine.

I was told that was old school thinking, and that new info points to a successful spawning of a small number of fish. He went on to add that the salmon do not spawn successfully enough to maintain there numbers and that a stocking program is a must to sustain the the Salmon in the numbers we see.

Guest muskiehntr

good info brain; just a question if the salmon would sucsessfully spawn enough to matain big numbers, what do you guys think would happen to all the other river spawning numbers?

i would love to catch a little baby salmon, i've caught all the other species as little smolts but never seen a salmon smolt.

I used to flyfish the Credit River above Steeles Ave. in Brampton area. I was talking to a CO one day and asked him about the Salmon,he's reply was that the Pacific Salmon do alot of damage to spawning beds in the rivers.

Guest bigfish1965

Brian;

No question there are some tribs that supply the constant flows and temps that salmon eggs need to hatch. However,like the biologist said, those numbers are incredibly minor and it is why they refer to it as an 'unsuccessful' spawn. It would be fanatastic if the Atlantics could make a comeback and be spawners like they used to be also, but until then they and the Pacifics will have to be stocked, and until then concern over disrupting the spawn is a moot point.....especially in Twenty Mile Creek!

I have caught small salmon well after the spawn at Baily's Bridge with a dip net while targeting minnows and small fish for the aquarium. We have seen schools of fingerlings and I remember catching what appeared to be a quarter pound chinny but I released it very quickly and the fingerlings might have been bows, it's hard to tell but If it was winter/early spring, it more than likely were salmon. Not saying that the spawn is successfull but I'm sure there are some. Do they still stock that creek? If not then would any climb that creek to attempt to spawn.

They aren't a natural resident fish either but the muskyhntr hit the coin on the head(fish in a barrel). Perhaps they are destructive to the natives too but not as destructive as we are.

Anyway, as you can tell this is a touchy subject for me. I lived there for quite some time and witnessed the insanity you spoke of in P.D. It's everywhere when the salmon run. I kinda get turned off of fishing this time of year because of it. I really need a boat.

Thanks Spanky. If I have time in the spring we'll head out and get some rock hoppers. Every once in awhile you hook a holder that's supposed to be in the lake and it scares the hell out of you when it splashes you and snapps your line like spagetti.

That's all I have to say about the salmon run this year. Good luck this year guys. Hope you have to respool often. And post some salmon picks will ya? Maby it will get me back in the mood to hike the glen. That's where I go for salmon and lots of free tackle!!!

well for one if they were to spawn enoguh to maintain their numbers you would need to setout many more guidelines regarding where they are in season, last fall I saw many people netting and spearing them in little creeks jsut for hte roe.

myself I will be in PD only in the early morning, mid afternoon, or after dark when it seems most jackasses arent. The morning crew is the same guys every morn.

Archived