florida fishing help

floatmaster

hello fellow anglers in lessthan 2 weeks i have the oppertunity to go fishing for a couple of days durring my 2 week vacation i will be fishing in and around johns pass in treasure island im definatly thinking about going on a charter fishing for something but i do intend on doing some dock and pier fishing as well so any information as to what kind of rod i should bring what kind of lures any help about anything would be much appreciated thanks

james

You are likely going to be fishing with live bait ...if you want the best results.

You can cast lures. I have seen guys walk the shorelines casting top water stick baits for sea trout etc.

Likely though you will have or use a float fishing style set up. A slip float with live bait (pin fish....) on a circle hook in and around docks will produce.

Research or hit up a local bait shop to get a charter...dont call just anyone. I learned the hard way.....getting skunked on a florida fishing charter is not fun :)

hello fellow anglers in lessthan 2 weeks i have the oppertunity to go fishing for a couple of days durring my 2 week vacation i will be fishing in and around johns pass in treasure island im definatly thinking about going on a charter fishing for something but i do intend on doing some dock and pier fishing as well so any information as to what kind of rod i should bring what kind of lures any help about anything would be much appreciated thanks

james

james

I have fished at Treasure Island a few times in the past. The shore fishing is decent I have caught sea trout, and a load of others that I couldnt identify - oh yeah I lost two flounder (i think).

There is a tackle store on the main road there about five minutes from the main bridge to the island. I suggest checking in the guys there gave me great advice. I fished there two January's ago. There were some reasonably priced charters going out nearby as well.

PM me with any questions I still have a couple locations I my GPS I can get you the intersection...

I have gone on the charter at John's Pass over 10 years ago but it was great as long as you dont mind the sea sickness from alot of people. The one bad thing I do remember is that you are all crammed onto a considerable sized boat and you feel like a sardine. It is shoulder to shoulder but all in all any day of fishing is better than none right?

Guest LockedInTheTrunkOfACar

see if you can rent a rod ... a saltwater fish has the potential to blow out a lot of heavy rods we would use for salmon ... a lot more power in the ocean dwelling fish.

years ago i was in florida and fishign off of one pier you could rent the rods for a day or more

thanks for the help all dont think ill quite need my float rod set up to catch fish i think ill just bring a good med med heavy any ideas on the lb test to use i was thinking 20

Definitely wont use floats out there the current is too strong... I used 1oz + egg weights and 18" leaders - 20 LB main line and 30 lb lead (due to the rocks). Would have liked 30lb mainline too but oh well. You can fish the piers around the highway but you have to pay. Many of them have equipment you can rent.

On the American east coast you need a state license to fish coastal waters, in the Canadian maritimes you do not. The fines are much steeper.

Correct - the price wasn't terrible either I think I paid $30 +/-for the annual license (non resident).

Was asked by a police officer to produce it...

thanks for the help all dont think ill quite need my float rod set up to catch fish i think ill just bring a good med med heavy any ideas on the lb test to use i was thinking 20

When I lived on the eastern shore in VA we used 60+ braid :Gonefishing:

Also watch the regs as the fines on OOS fish are really steep <_<

I have fished all around the John's Pass area several time's and had good luck fishing under and around the Bridge at night using mostly shrimp on a Med / Heavy rod with 12 lb. mono. (always had trouble keeping the bait /shrimp on the hook though

Lots of current) Inland waterways are always good too you never know what your gona catch in there.I have cought Every thing from Jack's / sheepshead to even a small ray. There is a pier a little north of Johns Pass i also tryed but not a lot of luck there at the time it was $5.00 fee to fish off it but the damn Pelicans steel your fish off the line before you can get em up the pier. I think it is called Reddington Pier .Hope this helps and Good Luck to ya and have a great Holiday.

we just bought the rod reel line combo med heavy at the dept store there cant remember the store but it was like a walmart.good deal 25 bucks.buy your rigs there too alot cheaper.last time i was there u didnt need a licesne on reddington pier and fishin was great.fish at nite if u can bigger fish. it was open24hrs on weekends.wish i was goin!

thanks alot i know ill need to get i license i cant afford the fines ill use a rented rod on the charter but i think around shore a med to med heavy should do it with 30 lb test what kinda fish did you get by the bridge

I fished around the Pass Bridge mostly at night I had good luck with the Trout / Redfish & Snook but you never know what you will hook into under there so be ready .

Lots of Luck! :blink:

i hate to be the bearer of bad news but you might want to read this article. my daughter was in florida at the being of the new year for on-water training (rowing) and she said they didn't see any of the stuff they have other years-manatees, dolphins following the boats, etc, and this article explains why:

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20100...cold-takes-toll

Picture197.jpg

lots of fish like this around hang on to your rod

Looks like a Snook judging by the lateral line.

Crankbaits will work for Snook and if I recall correctly in flat areas you might find Redfish. So crankbaits are a definite option. Years ago I fished the Indian River in New Smyrna and frozen shrimp on a jig head worked great. Sea Trout, Flounder, Whiting, a nice little fish called a "Sailor's Choice", and a near miss with either a snook or some other predator that followed in a hooked Whiting. Lol... we did a charter out of Tarpon Springs man it was a rough Gulf tha day but I did get a small Grouper.

Too bad the Tarpon aren't nearby then. They do migrate up the Gulf Coast a touch from the Keys. Where is Treasure Island in relation to Amelia? They do come up that far. Next winter I will strike off one fish from the bucket list.

Alex

Archived