Upper and Lower Niagara

alexthegrrr8

Hey Gang:

I received an e-mail today from a NFN'er asking me for a report when it came to the Lower Niagara. I told them that as of yesterday the water was mud...silt and so on. I decided to take the camera to snap a few pics so other NFN'ers could benefit from the request and decide whether it was worth the trip. Here's the photographic evidence. The pictures really don't do the brown justice.

A View From the Brink

Due to the winds whipping around I lost a pair of polarized glasses and a toque for this shot. There wasn't a hint of sun at the time so the colour isn't very noticeable. But the Upper is brown and unfishable.

101_2204.jpg

A Little Downstream

This is to the left of the American Falls. Notice the ice? To the left of the pic is the Rainbow Bridge. Ice was flowing freely from under the main ice towards the Whirlpool.

101_2205.jpg

At The Aero Car

This is right to the left and below the Aero Car. Huge chute of ice. The entire shoreline of the Whirlpool is littered with a ton of ice.

101_2206.jpg

Exit of the 'pool

Top of the pic. Ice is flowing downstream towards the Glen.

101_2207.jpg

Ice, Ice Baby

101_2208.jpg

Basically, it's up to every individual. As someone that lives 7 minutes away I wouldn't bother going down with the still present strong winds stirring things up. Just my $.02. I hope that everyone that has been mulling over going down this weekend benefits from the pics.

Alex

Thanks Alex.......Must of been ugly out there, with this wind.....and I appreciate the pics!!!

See ya down there soon!! Just not this weekend!! :worthy:

Shayno

Shayno:

No problem. I'm happy that you appreciated the pics. I'm sure that we'll be crossing paths down there soon enough but like you said not this weekend. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll be either tying flies or ice fishing.... or both. The wind was howling for sure. I'm not too sure if it was stronger today (28th) or yesterday.

Alex

For those who care.

January 29th.... More of the same from yesterday.

Alex

Man , that looks practically "unfishable" down there Alex! And , brrrrrrrr.....it looks cold .....oh , it IS COLD !! :worthy: I have been there a few yrs.ago & I know those slippery slopes at the waters edge can be trecherous ......be extremely careful where you step ! The winds will be coming in from the nw & that will tame Erie down . Hopefully , with these exreme low temps., Erie will crust over , allowing the river & the 12 mile system to clear up . There's some great trout fishing to be had locally ......without the huffin & puffin of the niagara gorge mountain climbing ! :worthy: Thanks for taking the time to post those pictures Alex .

Man , that looks practically "unfishable" down there Alex! And , brrrrrrrr.....it looks cold .....oh , it IS COLD !! :worthy: I have been there a few yrs.ago & I know those slippery slopes at the waters edge can be trecherous ......be extremely careful where you step ! The winds will be coming in from the nw & that will tame Erie down . Hopefully , with these exreme low temps., Erie will crust over , allowing the river & the 12 mile system to clear up . There's some great trout fishing to be had locally ......without the huffin & puffin of the niagara gorge mountain climbing ! :worthy: Thanks for taking the time to post those pictures Alex .

Smerch:

You're welcome for the pictures.

I wouldn't even think of going down there. I went down once for virtually no reason and I vowed to never again do the same. Basically, it's why I wanted to post the pics on the forum to save others the hassle and/or heartbreak of getting there just to realize that it's unfishable. The pics of the shore ice doesn't do it justice. I'm hoping that the river will start to change come Monday. LOL... I was licking my chops at the prospect of NW winds and cold temps. It is frigid out there eh?! Much like my mother-in-law. I'm really wanting to get out on the Upper and fish water that I haven't concentrated on yet. With any luck Port D will change soon as well.

To ice fish or not to ice fish? That is the ever popular question posed by Shakespeare (Ironically enough, a fishing manufacturer).

Alex

Miss Niagara sure does look cold and mean eh?!

I think you are "Bang" on smerch!!! You too Alex..I think this cold snap, may improve the conditions at the River!!

Thanks again Alex, and you too smerchly for your insight!

Shayno

Archived