Spey Away the Day

alexthegrrr8

Hey Gang:

My wife joined me for a few hours on the Niagara. She took a lot of really nice still shots. She also took a couple videos of me casting the two-hander. Here is a couple of clips. The clips shown are of a Spey cast called a Snap T. It's a great cast for a change of direction with a one-handed fly rod or a two-hander.

I never had any hook-ups (do Ice Trout count?) but I did run into NFN'ers Spottedgarrr and Ulltyma.

Alex

That cast will serve you well when you get to Nova Scotia's salmon rivers, Alex.

Make sure you read up on "Pool Etiquette" before you head down there. Some salmon anglers can be real sticklers for it. Maybe hook up with one of the anglers from NSF to learn the ropes. I could suggest my brother because he always seems to find the fish. You don't need a guide down there as a non-resident, but it is highly recommended.

That cast will serve you well when you get to Nova Scotia's salmon rivers, Alex.

Make sure you read up on "Pool Etiquette" before you head down there. Some salmon anglers can be real sticklers for it. Maybe hook up with one of the anglers from NSF to learn the ropes. I could suggest my brother because he always seems to find the fish. You don't need a guide down there as a non-resident, but it is highly recommended.

Coachman:

I really appreciate the tip for sure. I really have to get back onto the NSF site for sure again. For some reason I can't get onto my NBF account. It won't log on. With "Pool Etiquette" is it where you share and rotate the pool? Last guy in waits and the end of the line to join the drift?

So where in NB and NL you need a guide you don't necessarily need on in Nova Scotia?

Thanks,

Alex

In a nutshell, "Pool Etiquette" involves waiting your turn at the top of the pool. You wait til the guy ahead of you is far enough downstream before moving in (thats usually about the distance of 1 1/2 to 2 casts). You fish a cast, move downstream three feet (about one stride) and make your next cast, and so on. You raise a fish and miss, oh well, you still move on. When you get to the bottom of the pool, you either move back to the top and wait your turn again, or move down to the next pool. Depending on how much pressure the pool is getting, you might also be expected to move back to the top of the pool after successfully landing a fish, but you'll seldom have to worry about that.

If you fish the Margaree, the Lehave or the Mirimichi, expect the etiquette to be rigidly observed. . . those are along with the Matapedia, arguably the best salmon streams in Eastern Canada.

Coachman:

Thanks a lot. You explained it perfectly to me and it's exactly what I thought. They discussed this at the Grand River Spey Clave last year and they use it a lot in Western Canada as well. The presenter (this was a Fly Fisher/MNR guy) doing the presentation said that he would love to see this system used in Ontario as well. For example on places like the 'geen and so on. I'm in full agreement on this issue. There will always be the nay sayers but that's the beauty of our Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Alex

Any time Alex. I hope when you get down there you get some good fishing in. There is some spectacular scenery to enjoy too, so even if you spend the day casting at nothing, you'll come away with great memories.

I suppose one of these days you and I will have to hook up and wet a line or two. I don't get out much these days since I don't have my own wheels at the moment, but there's some great fishing to be had within walking distance of public transit all over Southern Ontario.

crazy, I never would have had the balls to walk into the river like that

It isn't that bad. It all boils down to respect. You just have to respect the Niagara and of course paying attention and having a wading staff or something comparable is essential.

Alex

Any time Alex. I hope when you get down there you get some good fishing in. There is some spectacular scenery to enjoy too, so even if you spend the day casting at nothing, you'll come away with great memories.

I suppose one of these days you and I will have to hook up and wet a line or two. I don't get out much these days since I don't have my own wheels at the moment, but there's some great fishing to be had within walking distance of public transit all over Southern Ontario.

Coachman:

You hit the nail on the head. If I get into fish on my maritime journey that's definitely a great thing. It just boils down to being with my family and taking in the sights, smells and sounds of somewhere that we've never been to before. My wife has been to NB but I haven't been out east at all except for a ride on a C-130 out to CFB Goose Bay. Either way it's all about memories.

We'll definitely have to get out together for sure in the future. No worries I'll arrange the transportation especially once the Trout Opener arrives. many of my haunts are out of the Horseshoe and of course I have to pass through Hamilton. LOL.. soon enough.

Alex

C130 out of GB? My dad helped build that base back in the late 50's and early 60's.

My last time on a Herc was a FLIP from Shearwater on our way to Gagetown. Had to fly through a huge thunderstorm. Can you say "rollercoaster?" Those were the days. . .

Actually it was a supply flight. CFB Trenton to CFB Bagotville to CFB Goose Bay back to Trenton then to CFB Moose Jaw. It was a long time in the Herc. LOL.. I bet you were rocking rolling in the back. Those jump seats are fannnntastic.

Alex

Rock and roll was hardly the word. And to cap it off, we spent the next few days in Gagetown running around in M113 APCs driven by guys from the Vandoo. I think it was a month before I could walk straight.

LOL... nice. The Vandoo's do have a bit of a rep.

Alex

Here are a couple of my wife's shots that she took.

101b2390.jpg

101b2391.jpg

101b2481.jpg

Alex

I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that I wasn't in the Armed Forces. I was 17 when this occurred and I was in Air Cadets. Truth be told (and I've told my wife this) if I could do things over again I would've joined the Armed Forces. I went to the recruiting centre, wrote the test (Flight Engineer, SAR Tech and ahem... Field Engineer) were offered. I ended up going through college instead. I often think I made the wrong decision. BTW... the flight crew went to the canex and stocked up the cases for the flight back with Arctic Char.

Sorry if I misled you.

Alex

You didn't mislead me, Alex. What many people don't realize (although I'm sure you do) that the Cadets are part of our military and are in fact considered "secondary reserve."

Coachman:

I've been meaning to ask you. Did you use a two-hander while you were out east? Oh yeah! What do you want to pursue?

Alex

Coachman:

I've been meaning to ask you. Did you use a two-hander while you were out east? Oh yeah! What do you want to pursue?

I have a Berekly Enforcer 8' 6" 1-hander with an 8WF line. While in NS I used one of my brother's salmon rods for salmon, of which he has several.

I have a Berekly Enforcer 8' 6" 1-hander with an 8WF line. While in NS I used one of my brother's salmon rods for salmon, of which he has several.

Nice. I bet he has few. On those rivers it's a staple. I have a few rods (want to get a 3 or 4 wt) might have to get a 5 wt in your hand in the spring. Hit up some small streams.

Alex

Sage definitely has some very nice rods. What were those prices listed in? That actually wasn't too bad compared to most of their line. A good sleeper rod (it isn't much of a sleeper) is the Ross Essence. Spottedgarrrr got one... he lucked out.

Alex

Hey Alex

The link I posted is Sage's website, and the prices shown are theirs and are of course in USD. I would imagine if you were to buy from a dealer the mark-up would be higher. I'd love to own a Sage myself. But for now I'll make do with what I have.

Coachman:

That isn't too bad then but you're right about the mark-up. I bet if you went to any of the fly specialty shops there woud be at least $100 added for shipping, customs and additional charges. Sage and the rest have great stuff but I don't know if I could justify spending that on a rod only... especially when you factor in Albright. Have you seen their site? When they have the 80% sale on ...holy. That said, I should see if they have any 4wt rods on sale.

Alex

I really like the third pic there man. Very cool. I've just gotten into the Spey fishing myself and love it. What setup are you running there? I use the Gloomis kispiox dredger 8/9 with an Islander FR3 reel and airflo NW 530 skagit line. I was down at pebble beach the other day with no luck on it either.

Archived