Spey Away the Day

alexthegrrr8

I really like the third pic there man. Very cool. I've just gotten into the Spey fishing myself and love it. What setup are you running there? I use the Gloomis kispiox dredger 8/9 with an Islander FR3 reel and airflo NW 530 skagit line. I was down at pebble beach the other day with no luck on it either.

Hey craiger,

If you don't mind me asking?

Were you with another fella that had both, a float rod and a spey?

Shayno

Hey craiger,

If you don't mind me asking?

Were you with another fella that had both, a float rod and a spey?

Shayno

That was me on Friday that had both down there...my buddy was just float'n. I couldn't get anything happening. :Gonefishing: That cold front really turned them off.

Coachman:

That isn't too bad then but you're right about the mark-up. I bet if you went to any of the fly specialty shops there woud be at least $100 added for shipping, customs and additional charges. Sage and the rest have great stuff but I don't know if I could justify spending that on a rod only... especially when you factor in Albright. Have you seen their site? When they have the 80% sale on ...holy. That said, I should see if they have any 4wt rods on sale.

Alex

albright just finished up their year-end sale and my son scored a 10' 8/9 wt. for steelies/pike from santa. (fellow flyfisher gave it rave reviews from personal experience) and i finally broke down and got myself a cute little 3/4 wt for the grand. a nice touch was the phone call asking what wt. reel i wanted since it came as a bonus! i LOVE free stuff. nothing fancy but it will hold my line till i scrap together the cash for a fancier one. best part was i got to ship everything to my daughter's place in michigan and she brought it home over christmas break so no scary cross-border shipping. (i tell ya, if you ever have the chance to send one of your kids to the states, the value of an american mailing address is worth the cost alone. plus she gets to bring anything in since she is a temporary resident there, so no duty either.) :Gonefishing: so 2 GOOD rods + 1 reel for less than 100 bucks TOTAL (can$ too). normal costs around 4-5 hundred!!!

Wish I had of walked over and said hi Craiger......maybe next time!!!

I did end up hooking a couple more in "your" spot there....not really on fire though?

Shayno

Wish I had of walked over and said hi Craiger......maybe next time!!!

I did end up hooking a couple more in "your" spot there....not really on fire though?

Shayno

Right on man that's awesome, glad someone was getting fish. I wish I could have stayed for the whole day. Were you standing right next to me? For sure if we see eachother out there again I'll come over and say hi. Take it easy.

Craig

I really like the third pic there man. Very cool. I've just gotten into the Spey fishing myself and love it. What setup are you running there? I use the Gloomis kispiox dredger 8/9 with an Islander FR3 reel and airflo NW 530 skagit line. I was down at pebble beach the other day with no luck on it either.

Craiger:

Thanks a bunch.

The set-up that I'm running for my Spey is as follows. The rSpey Rod is a 13' 8/9wt. I'm running of course the backing, Airflo Ridge Line running line, Airflo Skagit Compact 600 grain head. I do have a Snowbee head that I switch to every so often. She's real nice. You have a very nice set-up.

I was told that it's tough right now for the Spey down there. I was down today... nothing and that said there was a total of 200' of okay drifting water for centre-pinners from just below the 'pool to PB. Definitely not for what I'm doing. Man i explored that river today.... worked my @ss off.

Alex

Craiger:

Thanks a bunch.

The set-up that I'm running for my Spey is as follows. The rSpey Rod is a 13' 8/9wt. I'm running of course the backing, Airflo Ridge Line running line, Airflo Skagit Compact 600 grain head. I do have a Snowbee head that I switch to every so often. She's real nice. You have a very nice set-up.

I was told that it's tough right now for the Spey down there. I was down today... nothing and that said there was a total of 200' of okay drifting water for centre-pinners from just below the 'pool to PB. Definitely not for what I'm doing. Man i explored that river today.... worked my @ss off.

Alex

Right on man. That sounds like a pretty sweet setup as well. How do you like that airflo running line? I'm using the scientific anglers mono one and I hate it. There's way too much memory in that line which makes it tough to manage when getting ready to shoot some line. I can't wait for the ice flows to chill out so I can get some serious swinging down there. I keep bringing my float setup with me just incase.

Right on man. That sounds like a pretty sweet setup as well. How do you like that airflo running line? I'm using the scientific anglers mono one and I hate it. There's way too much memory in that line which makes it tough to manage when getting ready to shoot some line. I can't wait for the ice flows to chill out so I can get some serious swinging down there. I keep bringing my float setup with me just incase.

Craig:

Yeah she casts pretty nice. I've slowed down the sweep a lot now and man I'm getting some real sexy loops. I love the Airflo Ridgeline running line. Memory is no issue with it what so ever. Yeah the ice sure is making it tough, I admit that for the first time I got frustrated yesterday. Just as you were set to pick up the line, ice would get underneath, lose the anchor and the cast was botched. It's great swinging down there with the Spey though. I tried to convince myself to stay out of the river for a while and just tie (get my dries and nymphs tied for April) or go to Port D for my winter trout needs. Don't know if I can.

If yesterday was indicative it'll be a while before the ice flows lessen.

Alex

Sweet man I'm going to have to get that running line. I've been hearing good things about it. I've also been wanting to try a shorter and heavier head then the NW skagit I've got. To me 530 feels a little on the light side. I just don't want to waste any money on another one and end up not liking it. There's so much to think about when it comes to your setup.

Craig:

You never know. maybe switching it up to a 600 grain might do you some good. It might give you exactly what you need and not to mention it's less work with stuff in behind you. Do you have a casting style that you prefer? Right now, Skagit is the way to go but I've been told by my guru (lol we call him the Speyoda) that I really need to think about the Scandi heads.

LOL.. it's almost like Spey is our own little language isn't it?

Alex

I wouldn't mind swinging with you guys. I'm kinda new to spey, and have a basic setup with no tips. I'm running a windcutter, but do like the shooting heads. Is my 13 7wt CND too light down there? is there enough room, or is it floatfishing only?

snoryder:

In my non-professional opinion your 13' 7wt would be alright. Might be tough if you get a bigger one on in the cureent but it should be okay. The length should help. CND are nice rods. That's the beauty of Spey it's like Jell-O. There's always room. I've been strictly fly fishing down there... are the float guys getting more fish than me? Yes. But I bet I'm having more fun.

:P

You have no sink tips?

Alex

skagit and scandi both look like theyed be Norwegian or Swedish words

'garrrrr:

How are your knuckles? LMAO

Scandi is just abbreviated for saying Scandinavian. So you're right about that. I believe that Skagit was developed on the Skagit River in the Pacific Northwest United States (Oregon I think? maybe Washington).

Alex

600 is what I was thinking of trying out next. My buddy mike is a big scandi guy and wants me to try it out also. He's a LOOP pro staff and has really helped me out with my casting. We should set up at big Spey trip down there sometime for sure.

Snoryder, there some good spots for swing for sure but not that easy to find much water to Wade right out especially if you're using longer belly lines.

600 is what I was thinking of trying out next. My buddy mike is a big scandi guy and wants me to try it out also. He's a LOOP pro staff and has really helped me out with my casting. We should set up at big Spey trip down there sometime for sure.

Snoryder, there some good spots for swing for sure but not that easy to find much water to Wade right out especially if you're using longer belly lines.

LMAO.... I guarantee that if you ask him... he was down here on Sunday. Mike will make a great instructor when he gets his certification... because he already is a good instructor. Are you going to go to the Clave in June?

Alex

LOL... I have to send you a pic in a pm.

I was checking out the weather tonight and noticed a few pics of the Mighty Niagara and one of a man's shadow holding a spey rod. Checked it out and noticed that they were uploaded by our very own Darth Wader. Some nice scenery shots for those interested.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/CAON0475

LOL.. I have to admit that was not my doing. Blame Mrs. Wader for that one. i had no idea she was going to upload them.

Alex

if only I could spell and type... yikes thanks for edit buttons.

Archived