Need Help

FishyWishy

So I had gone into CTC to get a hole scoop on Sunday and was talking to a guy about icefishing. He told me they were catching all sorts of perch, bass etc in the old welland canal. His directions were to head down to Netherby road, go under under the current canal and the fishing is on the old canal.

Being that I am relatively "new" in Niagara, or a least exploring places I haven't before. Is that what they call the Rec Canal? I also see that it is by Dain City. Is theat what people are referring to when they say they were fishing at Dain City? Any help anyone can give me would be much appreciated. I would like to take my oldest daughter (6 yr old) out for her second ice fishing excursion this weekend but don't want to waste a whole day driving around because I don't know where to go.

PM me if you prefer to keep any info off the board.

Thanks in advance and tightlines

FW

i had luck with kids in dain city sunday. when you go thru said tunnel, turn left at the lights, and keep driving after the stop sign, you will probably see people fishing, pick a spot.

Your other option is rameys bend in port colborne. take the 140 towards port colborne, at the lights turn right, then another right at the stop sign. You'll see the spot around the bend.

if you go to the end of the 140, there is a tim hortons, head west towards the canal, and turn right before the bridge, and follow the canal.

good luck.

Thanks for the help!!! ;)

Now 2 more questions:

1) Do you think there will still be decent ice in these locations come Sunday?

2) What bait? I believe at ramey's we can use cotton balls for smelt??? But what about for perch? What about at the old canal?

I really want to see her catch her first fish through the ice! I'm all excited for her LOL.

I really appreciate all of the help and I will report back on how we do. Strategic pictures of course.

FW

Very mild temps on the way . I expect to see shoreline rot starting anytime . The canals , including Rameys have very steep slopes at the shoreline , so if you break through only a few feet from shore you can be up or over your head in ice cold water . Check well with a good ice spud before venturing out . An hour ago I saw a stream leading into Richardsons creek which runs into Martindale pond & it was running at a good rate ........spring runoff is happening , be very careful !

there are some perch at rameys bend, but you will definately get smelts.

i've been skunked twice in dain city, but on sunday i got 4 big smelts and some small perch.

as for weather, it's still freezing overnight, so get out early, and be carefull

The ice on the rec is good. 16" There is a couple of inches of water under the snow as the day warms up. Shoreline is good. I would worry more about them raising the water then it deteriating for now.

I'm working at lock 7 right now and they are supposed to start filling the lower locks on Friday. I'm not sure if this will effect the upper, but keep it in mind. Good luck and safe fishing.

fished fron rowin club to other side of 2 bridge in dain city and only managed a dozen perch..... nothin to brag about! i would say ice will be pretty rough by weekend

lots of slush and temps are risin.... goin to try tomor.... but not anticipatin any different results will post conditions

Archived