Carved brook trout

Erik.T.

I finished my latest carving which will go inside a glass dome that came off a broken clock. I think iv'e finally figured out airbrushing for the most part but then again I probably only scratched the surface of that. I used a crushed pencil lead (graphite) to darken the head a bit. I have abandoned the glass eyes for now and so I have made the eye out of modeling putty. Later for other carvings I will get glass eyes but I didn't see any glass eyes small enough 4mm and for fish on the net.

I tried putting slightly more movement into this carving which is kind of hard to see untill its mounted once that is done I will update this thread.

Now i've figured out fin setting as well. My next one will bet a brown trout and a rainbow trout on the same base.

eriksnewtrout003.jpg

eriksnewtrout002.jpg

And tomorrow I'm going fishing!

Great job Eric ! :Gonefishing: The brookie can be a challenge when it comes to painting , especially those little worm marks on the top . The air brush is a handy dandy tool for sure ! :P

Thanks!

The airbrush worked awesomely for most of the fish. I was thinking of using the airbrush for the markings but the airbrush makes the edges of the marking fuzzy unless i use a stencil and i wanted sharper edges.

This summer I will probably start taking orders and minature i.e. desktop carvings like these will be for sale sooner. muskie sounds like a great idea!

Guest fishmaster

Awesome job keep up the good work..next thing before you know it you will be so busy painting and carvin you won't have time to fish ....

Hey Erik, I'd be curious to know how many hours and how many dollars it takes to make one of these fish. If ever you do decide to sell them I hope you price them accordingly. Great work!!!

Hey Erik, I'd be curious to know how many hours and how many dollars it takes to make one of these fish. If ever you do decide to sell them I hope you price them accordingly. Great work!!!

Thanks!

I will price them accordingly.

It takes about 2-5 minutes to cut out the profile on the bandsaw, then about an hour and a bit to rough out the fish, 20 minutes of sanding, then about another 2 hours of carving for the fins and gill/mouth area, then another 5 mins of sanding with fine grit, then 3-4 coats of gesso 30 mins, 3 hours to paint(depending on how complex the colouration of the fish is). other things can take longer depending on how big the fish is. In total about 7 hours. Takes a while but I try to make sure I don't mess up.

And then another 2-3 hours for a nice base (including rocks and other objects).

I was thinking about making some swimbaits as well.

What you are doing, Erik, is art. It is worth far more than the materials plus time for your labour. Don't be shy about hanging a price tag on one of your works with two or more zeros BEFORE the decimal point!

Archived