Did you know ??????

packrat

From the DUI files. That's department of useless/useful information :worthy:

Did the roundabout with Ollie Friday and stopped in at Turkey Point for a looksee. Seems this fella was fishing one of the marinas so we stopped and asked W5 (who what where when why) :huh:

So he proceeded to fill us in----seems he was catching a few perch and releasing some of the smaller ones and some that were injured enough that they couldnt swim anymore and were floating on the surface.

Along comes "the man"----the conversation went something like this (so we're told)

Good day---are you having any luck

Got a few here

Anybody else fishing here

Nope

I take it you caught those fish that I see floating in the water

Yep

Well those fish that you threw back are counted as part of your catch and you will have to retrieve them.

So the fella did as he was asked---therfore avoiding a possible charge I assume

He never did reveal how he managed to recover the BTW

Now I understand you are NOT supposed to let any fish you catch legally go to waste and I can see the implications of what happened so we wondered how this would fit at Port Dover when the run is on and you can lots of "dinks" that were thrown back only to float on the surface before they get picked off by the gulls.

We have caught small perch that were hooked a little deep and carefully removed the hook and released the fish only to see some surface minutes later . Some revived themselves and others did not & became seagull fodder very quickly . All one can do is try your best to release the ones that you "think" will make it or toss it in with the keepers . When fishing where there is a current , not much you can do to retrieve a fish that resurfaces .Going barbless for perch would cut the mortality rate down . The limit is usually 50 perch so keeping a few dinks isn't a problem , they fry up quicker ! :huh: And.....yes the ones that the sea or seagull got are part of your limit . :o

Did you see all those dead smelt on the shore in Chillis post ? Good thing , no limit ....... :worthy:

Well seeing as they tell us to throw gobies up on the rocks I think they'd be hard pressed to make a charge stick. Perch are a game fish so it's different. We're trying to maintain and grow the perch population but are fighting goby and smelt numbers.

Here's what I found in the Regs: http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/286927.pdf

General Prohibitions page 9 of 95

• Abandon fish or permit the flesh to spoil, if the fish is suitable for

human consumption.

ONTARIO’S CATCH AND RETAIN RULES page 10

Anglers are reminded to closely monitor the condition of fish

held in a livewell. Only fish that are in such a condition that they

will survive may be released (see Tips on Live Release of Fish,

page 10). Releasing a fish that will not survive and allowing

the flesh of that fish to be wasted is an offence. Any fish not

live-released are part of your daily catch and retain limit.

Remember guys you have the ability to change anything you read here through stakeholder input and outreach meetings.

Archived