Hunting for Lake Trout on Lake Erie! Pt.2

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

Still looking for the Lake Trout.

Up and out the door at 05:30,headed to Port Colborne. Launched there at 06:45. Headed straight towards Dunkirk,after crossing the border,I kept seeing fish at 86' in 88FOW. Big fish mostly,water temp was 68 surface. Thinking they might be LT I trolled towards Dunkirk for 3 hrs without a sniff of a fish. Hauled everything in and headed to my target area of Dunkik in 115FOW,one Rigger set at 100',cheater at 86',second Rigger at 76',cheater at 57'. It was hot no wind,not feeling to well after yesterday. I noticed the rod twitch and I sprung into action,the Trueth I heard a splash and thiers this SteelHead jumping just over a 100' behind the boat, I sprung into action,setting the hook,after I caught up to him,he jumped several times,then I thought I was hooked up on the other rigger line,he was hard to pull in,i don't like to fool around with a fish,he either comes in or he gets off. This one was like a log,come to find out he was hooked directly in the belly and was coming in sideways. I wasn't going to keep him,but after seeing this,I figured I'd give him to my neighbour. I was home at 3:30

Williams spoons seem to be the lure there looking for,Walleye yesterday and a Steelhead today, or could it be 3 out of 4 lures I'm using are Williams

Steelhead0924Dunkirk.jpg

Steelhead0924Dunkirk2.jpg

nippaditty

Was that you out there waving at me.

Hey Brian,

I find for me on Lake Ontario, Lake Trout in these type of temperatures are extremely dosile and do not move around much because they avoid light, that is why they are always hugging the bottom. One thing i have seen that has been proven to work, is taking a large lure, like a big ern, that has orange on the front and white on the back and dragging the bottom with it. Especially when you are marking those big marks a foot or two off the bottom. It entices them into a bite because it is right in their face. Just a tip i have seen work well in the summer, since the temperatures are still summer like. I know it is a different body of water, but it is always worth a try.

Also another thing i read, is that using lures with red or yellow on them below 40 feet is ineffective because the colors do not appear at that depth, do not know if it is true, but i found that kinda interesting. So using the trusty 5 of diamonds in deeper water probably won't work that well.

good luck and tightlines

salmonman

Salmonman

I have used the dragging bottomTec. Not knowing what the bottom of Erie is like in that area,I was a little afraid of my Drigger becoming a new reef :P

I heard that about colours, at different depths. I also kind of remember something I heard years ago that the colours of you lure will change at different depths.

Thanks For the info!! :P

Good call, i guess not knowing what it is like down there it is hard to say if your cannon ball will become another rock...lol. Well keep us updated, Lake Trout are by far my favourite species to target, do not know what it is about them that i like so much, just love to fish for them.

Anyways, heading out to try a local pier in the morning, will let you know how i do.

tightlines

salmonman

Brian Visibility depths of colours: Red-15' Orange-45' Yellow-80' Green-100' Blue-180' Gleaned all this from some downriggin info I've had laying around. In other words red is the first to disappear from the spectrum and would only appear as black beyond that depth. Etc Etc HIH Later, Gord :P

Guest erie_guy

Hey Brian, set your lure up about 3' from the cannon ball, and about 3-6' brhind the ball. Drag the cannonball on the bottom at a slow speed. Yup, that's right, drag it on the bottom. The trick is to get the lure to run in the debris kicked up, but not hang up, or drag on bottom. There was a guy 'back in the day' of the St. Catharines Salmon Derby who was known as the king of lake trout. He would use Williams, 5 of diamonds, and body baits. Try using fire tiger and chartreuse colours with your body baits.

Here's another trick to turn on inactive fish. Get about 10 dozen minnows and salt them with pickling salt for about 3 weeks. Make a shaker can. Find a school of inactive fish. Lower your shaker can (full of salties) down about 30' above the school and trip the lid. Trip it too high and your bait will drift on the current, or spread out too much. Too late, and it will be too concentrated. Tip your lure with salties and start trolling through the school.

To make a shaker can you need a large can of dog food. Cut the lid completely off, and discard the dog food (I wouldn't feed that stuff to my dog). Punch moderate sized holes in the lid and the bottom. This will allow the can to sink in a relatively straight line. Rig the lid so that it is hinged on one side, and attached to an approriate spring on the opposite side. Rig a rope to the bottom...you now have a shaker can.

This is deadly for lake trout and whitefish when ice fishing!

Have fun,

Erie_Guy

Two beautiful fish Brian, with all of that travelling you must have a built in tank.

After getting blown off the water again yesterday at Crystal beach I'm going to keep whining and crying around the house till I get a bigger boat. :Gonefishing::blink::dunno:

Good fishin, Steve

Yes Steve I have a 12gallon internal tank. Although I do take extra gas with me,my first trip from Crystal Beach to Barclona,I had to refuel :Gonefishing:

Refuel.JPG

Sent you a Email,wifes away till Monday,but did say she might be home tonight,if she arrives tonight I'm going to Port maitland in the mornin. Monday of next week is also a right off,going to New Brunswick next sunday.

I to need a BIGGER BOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't know what your thinking but I'm thinking around 18ft., super deep, walk through windsheild with a full top set, 90-95" beam and somewhere around 100hp 4stroke. We will see. :Gonefishing:

Good fishin, Steve

P.S. If you hit PM tomorrow are you thinking the river, offshore, or both?

I was thinking if I do go,I'll post in the am if I'm going. Heading out deep first light then work my way in. Starting at GPS area N42.35 W79.34 then coming in to N42.41 W79.38 I'll be on 68,however my connection from the ant. to radio has been giving me troubles.

Bigger Boat? Something inline that Denis has,full size Legend,4 stroke is a must,with the gas I go through in a year,the 4stroke will pay for it's self in a couple of years.

Archived