Port D marina today

Luvevolution

went down to Port D marina today to do a spot of Pike fishing..................5 hours worth to be exact. they say time flies when you are having fun and how true that is. lots of Carp in there today.............most of them were really big suckers too. might head back tomorrow for those guys. decided to give my new flourescent yellow/green/orange Rapala a go and a plain old mepps 3 spinner. wihin minutes of hitting the water with my Rapala, by the boat launch, I had a huge hit. never had anything hit quite like that before. then all hell broke loose. I could tell it was big and it was taking me for a run. tried my damndest to keep the line tight and I managed to get it to shore. when it got to within a few feet of shore, I could see those tell-tail red fins and I knew I had me a Muskie on. it was at least 40+ inches long, according to all the flustered guys that rushed over to watch the action. to be honest, I was so jazzed that it seemed to be slow motion and fast at the same time. of course, in my head at the same time, I'm thinking that thses guys are out of season, so a guy hands me my net and some pliers cause I wanna net this thing and take the lure out while in the water, to make it as easy on the fish as I can. when I got it to the net (after about a 10 minute fight), that's when all hell broke loose again. the fish took off to the bottom and within seconds, the fish broke the surface and was airborne...............that's the point where it threw the Rapala out of it's mouth. kinda figures too that one of the guys was just about to take a pic of it, so he could email it to me. kind of bummed out, but psyched at the same time, I continued fishing with the Rapala. about an hour later, I got a nice solid hookup with an OOS smallie. hooked my scale on the net and that one came out at 4-2lbs. at that point, I took off the Rapala and put on the Mepps spinner. hooked into half a dozen Pumpkinseed with that one and 3 Rockies that were a decent size.

the other bonus of the day was that I've never caught a fish of any kind on a Mepps spinner, so I was kinda psyched about that too. I was even having a blast with the Seeds. LOL.

by the way, I hooked into the Muskie beside the dock to the right hand (east) side of the boat launch. I saw the fish take the lure from the side, so I'm positive it was lurking under the dock, just waiting for some unfortunate fish to swim by. and for my efforts, all I am left with is two rather big teeth marks on my lure, where it took the paint off and dug in a bit. LOL. all in all, a great day on the water.

Rich

Question, How do you get to the marina? I can get to the Port Dalhousie beach okay. But never been to the Marina...or is it right there and I am blind? Ive been fishing the Chippawa Boat Launch and only catching Bass outta there and the Blue Gill at Firemens park is getting kinda boring lol.

depends which way you are coming from..............let's say you are coming from the highway on Ontario Street. the lights at Ontario and Lakeport is where you would turn left to go down into port. instead of turning left, go straight through the lights and your first left will be lighthouse road. turn left and go all the way to the end. the marina is at the end, right in front of you. for a landmark, look for Subway on the North west corner of those lights. the turn is just after the Subway. hope that helps you out.

for another spot, try the GReen Ribbon Trail too. there's some good fishing in there right now. get off at Martindale and head north on Martindale. it's about 1km on the left. you'll see the small parking lot there.............assuming you've never dished there of course. if you have, disregard the directions. LOL.

Rich

Okay, I am coming from Niagara Falls, I got directions to Port Dalhousie the Beach (theres a dock there we were going to hit), then we were going to the Green Ribbon Trail (got directions for that too), so could I map quest lighthouse Rd then just follow that road till we hit the Marina? Simple enough for me as I get lost real easy lol

I would map quest from the Falls to Port D, from the beach to the Marina then from the Marina to Green Ribbon Trail. planning on hitting at least the Marina Friday after supper or if my friend and I meet Saturday we will probably hit all as we will have more time to fish. I dunno i was at Firemens park Friday and I caught 15 Blue Gill in about 2 hours..

The skis are running in pairs in many places right now so I avoid pike fishing in those areas in case a ski takes my lures . Same thing with the bass , they will strike a large rap , mepps or minnow, etc . It's great to see these fish doing their thing and its best to leave them alone so they can accomplish their mission and make a bunch of little skis for us all well into the future . I lost a nice ski over a year ago because it went under a dock which is chained to a block on the bottom . The line wrapped around the zebra encrusted chain and shredded the line .........good bye ski & mr. rap ! Catching any large fish in a marina is a challenge for sure . I hope you get another shot at that ski LE , maybe it will hang around for a while .

thanks Smerch. I might try that again later on in the season, because I don't want to fish knowing that I might get something that is OOS. I'm kind enough to leave the fish to spawn and do their thing for a while. next time I wanna try for Pike, I'll just go somewhere on the pond, like the GRT or behind McDonalds on Ontario. I'm deffinitely gonna go back to the marina to have a go at those Carp with some corn and my boilies. LOL. probably gonn a head down there this afternoon or tomorrow. not quite sure about today though, because the clouds look to be blowing to the west, which means the wind is no good and probably a lousy bite. we'll see though.

I will say though................those Pumpkinseed are a blast to cath on a Mepps. those boys put up a pretty decent scrap for about a minute or so. LOL. I will also say that the new Rapala "flat raps" are excellent lures. the one I got is the Firetiger. the action is very good if tied with a Rapala knot. I tried also with a knot cinched right up to the eye and although the action was still very good, it wasn't as good as using the Rapala knot.

Rich

Muskies are the best fish to be caught by accident. Because if you target them, you'll never catch any :lol:

aint that the truth, i've only caught them by accident, it was a fun accident, but i was always walleye fishing at the cottage.

LE , I still like to use the J11 & J13 because you can snap them on a steel leader or a heavy floro carbon leader & lose very little action . They are getting to be too pricy so in areas where it's easy to snag up on tree branches etc. I may use a float & chub bait . There are huge skis right in Port Dal .harbour but not many anglers target them and the same for walleye . Trout & salmon fishing are the norm for the harbour . If you are going after skis that could be well over the 40" /20+lbs range you will need heavy duty gear since the current is strong in the harbour side , and they will make a run for the docks on the marina side (lots of props in there) :lol: I'll have to try the flat rap for pike , I like lures that have good action . The Canadian wiggler has been a good action pike lure for years and they are heavy enough to cast a mile !

the J11 and J13 are great all around lures and you can't beat them. they should be a staple in every tackle box IMHO. but I was really impressed with this new flat rap lure and they are available in multiple colour schemes. because of the flat sides and pointed nose, the side to side wiggle and darting actions are very, very good. again, not so good if you cinch the knot right up, but still good if you do it that way. they say not to use a leader with the flat rap though, so I was using 30lb braid only and luckily the Muskie did not bit through it.

I'm not gonna fish the marina with lures for another 3 weeks or so..............till the spawn is over. you aren't guarenteed of hitting what you are targeting and it's unethical (to me) to fish there, knowing that basic information. there's lots of summer and fall months to fish, so gonna give them their space. I'll try the pond for that, from now on. gonna fish for carp there in the mean time. there's a bunch of carp in at Dufferin Islands, so we're gonna fish there tomorrow afternoon.

Rich

I might show up at Rennie tomorrow since it says the winds will be north .My large chub minnows are doing well in my rain barrel but I need to get them out for a luncheon ! :crazy: If you are out that way LuvE. look for a big blue window van ....it stands out among the crowd ! B) I was going to steal that little car for my spare........ :lol:

smert%20ker.jpg

ill be out tomorrow afternoon bill ill look for you I wont be down till around 1ish

you want one of those pregnant roller skates? hahahahahaha. you ever seen one of those things do a burnout?.............kinda sounds like this.............rrrrmmmm, rrrrrrrmmmmmm, RRrrrrmmmm, RRRrrmmmmm. RRRRRRRMmmmmm, squeek. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I'll look for your van if the wife and I make it down that way. we were planning on doing Dufferin Islands in the afternoon, cause she has to go up to the falls to pick up her ID from work anyway. thought we'de give the Carp a run for the money while we're up there. if we don't go, I'll look for your van down there. if not, let me know whenever you are going down there and I'll stop by and introduce myself. :lol:

Rich

I might show up at Rennie tomorrow since it says the winds will be north .My large chub minnows are doing well in my rain barrel but I need to get them out for a luncheon ! :) If you are out that way LuvE. look for a big blue window van ....it stands out among the crowd ! B) I was going to steal that little car for my spare........ :roflblack:

smert%20ker.jpg

Hahaha ... if they make those cars any smaller, you could put a handle on top, and carry them around like luggage ....

well, get in line then, cause now that Fiat has bought into Chrysler, they are bringing the Fiat 500 back to Canada. and I believe it's even smaller than the "not-so-smart" car. hahahahahaha.

hey Smerch, if you open the doors to your van, I bet you could haul that car around like Knight Rider. LMAO :) just put the red, pulsing LED in the front grill and you are good to go. is it just me, or does the front end kinda look a bit like a smiley face, or what? :roflblack:

Rich

Port d is got to be the place Ive lost the most lures do to snags. Logs,cement block chains, tires, who knows the shiet thats down there, if I fish for pike down there I use red dardevils and 5 of diamond spoons or spinnerbaits . Nice and cheap if you loose them. I know the muskies down there are big thats for sure, ive witnessed someone loose a monster back in the later years and we also seen a dead washed up one in the marina a few years back. Only muskie ive pulled from this whole area was in behind mcdonalds...and a fluke it was.

that's a great spot behind McPukes on Ontario..............love it down there. I like that flat rap for fishing the marina, cause it's a floater and with a slow retrieve, it's only down about 2 feet or so. apparantly, it will only go down about 5 feet with a fast retrieve. unless you've got weights on it of course. all I know is, from the time it hit the surface till it got back to my rod, I could see it under the surface the whole time. the Muskie was caught with a slow and steady retrieve. the bass was with a slow retrieve with stops to float to the surface for a few seconds, then fast retrieve with rod pumps, then repeat. seems to work pretty good with the flat rap and other raps for that matter.

if people lose that much stuff in there, I should get my scuba gear on and go lure fishing. LOL. I could probably make a small fortune in used tackle sales. :deadhorse:

Rich

that's a great spot behind McPukes on Ontario..............love it down there. I like that flat rap for fishing the marina, cause it's a floater and with a slow retrieve, it's only down about 2 feet or so. apparantly, it will only go down about 5 feet with a fast retrieve. unless you've got weights on it of course. all I know is, from the time it hit the surface till it got back to my rod, I could see it under the surface the whole time. the Muskie was caught with a slow and steady retrieve. the bass was with a slow retrieve with stops to float to the surface for a few seconds, then fast retrieve with rod pumps, then repeat. seems to work pretty good with the flat rap and other raps for that matter.

if people lose that much stuff in there, I should get my scuba gear on and go lure fishing. LOL. I could probably make a small fortune in used tackle sales. :deadhorse:

Rich

You are up early ....going fishing ? :D Try using the flat rap with a 3 way swivel & use a lighter line for the weight which I set about 12" below the main line . It works great in deep water like the rec. since the rap floats , it rarely gets hung up . If the weight snags up , it should break off first & up comes the rap .

you want one of those pregnant roller skates? hahahahahaha. you ever seen one of those things do a burnout?.............kinda sounds like this.............rrrrmmmm, rrrrrrrmmmmmm, RRrrrrmmmm, RRRrrmmmmm. RRRRRRRMmmmmm, squeek. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I'll look for your van if the wife and I make it down that way. we were planning on doing Dufferin Islands in the afternoon, cause she has to go up to the falls to pick up her ID from work anyway. thought we'de give the Carp a run for the money while we're up there. if we don't go, I'll look for your van down there. if not, let me know whenever you are going down there and I'll stop by and introduce myself. ;)

Rich

the one with the hayabusa in it does crazy burnouts look the video up on youtube

Archived