Pond Stocking

fuillihc

Hi

I just bought a property with a 1 acre pond that is 11 feet deep/avg. I stocked it with largemouth from Puresprings trout farm but I would like something to control the weeds. Would grass carp do well here and where I can purchase them? Anyway great forum.

A few ducks would control your weeds quite well I'd bet. But then they might also go after your fish (some are omnivores).

If you're keeping bass though, you don't want the pond completely weed-free, so even if you could get grass carp, they probably wouldn't be the best choice: they're goats with fins.

stock it with tench, bream and common carp!

You need to have a good population of bottom feeders, as well as predatory fish.

Throw a few pike in there, and your golden.

I wish i could own my own pond. Would be a coarse fishing paradise lol.

oh don't worry about carp, they'll be in there within a couple of years, if their not in there already. All shallow water species, sunfish, carp, catfish etc... will be in your pond shortly, transported via geese/ducks. There are a lot of great books out there to manage a pond. You need to have something like 20 prey fish (sunnies, perch,crappie) for every largemouth stocked if I remember correctly. There are herbicides possibly bought at commercial feed stations you could use. Not sure where the weeds are a problem, shore, middle, or whole pond . You might also want find out if there is a water runoff with phosphates entering into the pond, which could result in extra weeds.

Good luck!!!

Hi

I just bought a property with a 1 acre pond that is 11 feet deep/avg. I stocked it with largemouth from Puresprings trout farm but I would like something to control the weeds. Would grass carp do well here and where I can purchase them? Anyway great forum.

My NEW BEST FRIEND!!!!!!! :deadhorse:

First post asking if he should stock his pond with a highly invasive species that we are trying to keep out of the Country right now. It semed kind of antagonistic. :deadhorse:

First post asking if he should stock his pond with a highly invasive species that we are trying to keep out of the Country right now. It semed kind of antagonistic. :deadhorse:

I really think some people don't realize how easy it is for fish to "escape". I'm sure the intentions were good. Grass carp are excellent for weed control. I know in the US they were introduced only because they were SUPPOSED to be sterile. Obviously not the case. I don't think I'd hold someone to asking about them, because it doesn't seem harmful, just having them in a personal pond. But that's how so many invasive species start out. Just a little rain water, a hungry goose, or a careless friend, and suddenly we're in a war we can't win.

I actually explained that to the wife a day or so ago. She didn't understand how fish can "get out". But it can, has, and will happen again. So yeah, if you want grass carp in Ontario, I'd suggest fillets only. That seems a sure way to make sure they only spread where you want them to go.

I really think some people don't realize how easy it is for fish to "escape". I'm sure the intentions were good. Grass carp are excellent for weed control. I know in the US they were introduced only because they were SUPPOSED to be sterile. Obviously not the case. I don't think I'd hold someone to asking about them, because it doesn't seem harmful, just having them in a personal pond. But that's how so many invasive species start out. Just a little rain water, a hungry goose, or a careless friend, and suddenly we're in a war we can't win.

I actually explained that to the wife a day or so ago. She didn't understand how fish can "get out". But it can, has, and will happen again. So yeah, if you want grass carp in Ontario, I'd suggest fillets only. That seems a sure way to make sure they only spread where you want them to go.

To quote Jurassic Park, "Life finds a way" :deadhorse:

I wasn’t aware that grass carp were a big problem. My buddy uses them in his pond in Pennsylvania. My pond is land locked and spring fed but I wouldn’t want to be responsible for introducing an invasive species. My concern with common carp is that they muddy up the water. Maybe I will try that blue dye that is suppose to be harmless to fish but blocks a certain light spectrum and controls weeds. Thanks again for all the help. By next summer the pond will be ready to fish. The bass fingerlings have tripled is size since they were released in April.

How about instead of be littleing the guy you could approach him in a pm?

How about instead of be littleing the guy you could approach him in a pm?

I wouldn't say he was belittling anyone. He was concerned about the chance of a fish that's known to be a problem being stocked in local waters. I actually didn't know grass carp aren't even in Ontario. That'll definitely save time looking for them.

the grass carp has been recorded in ontario, but they didnt establish they were found in the Don river and and Grendier pond in the toronto area and in lake erie and lake huron

I wasn't aware that grass carp were a big problem. My buddy uses them in his pond in Pennsylvania. My pond is land locked and spring fed but I wouldn't want to be responsible for introducing an invasive species. My concern with common carp is that they muddy up the water. Maybe I will try that blue dye that is suppose to be harmless to fish but blocks a certain light spectrum and controls weeds. Thanks again for all the help. By next summer the pond will be ready to fish. The bass fingerlings have tripled is size since they were released in April.

I would deffinitely use barbless hooks if and when you start to fish your pond. it'll make life a lot easier on you and your fish. also, remember who your friends are if and when you decide to have a pond party. wink, wink, nudge, nudge. hahahahahahaha.

Rich

oh don't worry about carp, they'll be in there within a couple of years, if their not in there already. All shallow water species, sunfish, carp, catfish etc... will be in your pond shortly, transported via geese/ducks. There are a lot of great books out there to manage a pond. You need to have something like 20 prey fish (sunnies, perch,crappie) for every largemouth stocked if I remember correctly. There are herbicides possibly bought at commercial feed stations you could use. Not sure where the weeds are a problem, shore, middle, or whole pond . You might also want find out if there is a water runoff with phosphates entering into the pond, which could result in extra weeds.

Good luck!!!

you are most sertianly right you need something for the bass to eat if you dont put in some sorty of forage the bass with all be stunted in growth and alot will die

feed em trout like in California and mexico, ud have some monsters mighty fast, but i would prefer a chilled spring pond with trout but its alot of upkeep, cant wait to see some of your back yard fishing trips lol

you are most sertianly right you need something for the bass to eat if you dont put in some sorty of forage the bass with all be stunted in growth and alot will die

The pond is loaded with minnows, crayfish and what seems like thousands of tadpoles/frogs so there is no shortage of food. I will post some pictures for you guys. As for fishing, if someone is willing to teach me how to fish the whirlpool/lower river I would be more than happy to share my pond and a few beers with that person. ;)

The pond is loaded with minnows, crayfish and what seems like thousands of tadpoles/frogs so there is no shortage of food. I will post some pictures for you guys. As for fishing, if someone is willing to teach me how to fish the whirlpool I would be more than happy to share my pond and a few beers to that person. ;)

I can teach you how to fish other spots........

The pond is loaded with minnows, crayfish and what seems like thousands of tadpoles/frogs so there is no shortage of food. I will post some pictures for you guys. As for fishing, if someone is willing to teach me how to fish the whirlpool/lower river I would be more than happy to share my pond and a few beers with that person. ;)

I know of a sure catch bucket. Just needs some fish.

Archived