Missed Bass Opener but.....

Tom Chopin

Missed Bass opener this year due to a family trip to BC. Brother-in-law surprised me with a charter on Kootaney Lake. Beautiful country out there. The little guy started it off with a Dolly Varden.

34664_435862272958_681652958_5898339_8185146_n.jpg

Fish ON!!

34664_435862277958_681652958_5898340_1721366_n.jpg

Nice Kootaney rainbow, out of the cold water and onto the BBQ, amazing!

34664_435862282958_681652958_5898341_6201315_n.jpg

My fav pic from the trip

13438_435864217958_681652958_5898384_1500275_n.jpg

Beautiful country out there Tom ! I haven't heard the word Dolly Varden in many years ....didn't think they were still catching them . At one time we had Kamloops trout here in Niagara but I don't think they exist here now.....interesting to know the story about them as well . It looks like your little guy didn't want to hold the fish for a photo , his hands seem to have disappeared ! The rainbow is a fine looking fish and the little cub seems to be either asking for a treat or calling for ma ! :P

Guide said it was a bull trout, also know as a Dolly Varden?

Here's a close up.

dsc_0149-1.jpg

Interestingly they have to buy a special ticket to keep 5 rainbows per year over 19 inches and you have to record it as soon as you catch it, similar to hunting in Ontario. The guide said he usually releases all his rainbows and keeps only the dolly's for eating. He said since they introduced barbless hooks 2 years ago he has had to keep his 5 rainbows everyyear because the barbless hooks slip out during the fight and end up catching the fish under the gills after they roll in the line and they bleed out. He said prior to barbless hooks he never had to keep a fish because the hook stayed in the mouth.

We went 2 for 4 on the bows after the water got some chop and we switched from downrigging hoochies behind a flasher to flat lining large streamer flies with a large split-shot about 20 yards up the line.

Guest TC1OZ
Guide said it was a bull trout, also know as a Dolly Varden?

Here's a close up.

dsc_0149-1.jpg

Interestingly they have to buy a special ticket to keep 5 rainbows per year over 19 inches and you have to record it as soon as you catch it, similar to hunting in Ontario. The guide said he usually releases all his rainbows and keeps only the dolly's for eating. He said since they introduced barbless hooks 2 years ago he has had to keep his 5 rainbows everyyear because the barbless hooks slip out during the fight and end up catching the fish under the gills after they roll in the line and they bleed out. He said prior to barbless hooks he never had to keep a fish because the hook stayed in the mouth.

We went 2 for 4 on the bows after the water got some chop and we switched from downrigging hoochies behind a flasher to flat lining large streamer flies with a large split-shot about 20 yards up the line.

One thing I never got about barbless hooks... a hooks a hook.

Tom , I went to Google Images for Dolly Varden Trout & they images are greatly varied . They big males are so similiar to a brook trout or a char but this link is from Alaska . I thought using barbless hooks would be the best way to fish if they were being released, but that can still be fatal to the fish .

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http:/...%26tbs%3Disch:1

Archived