lost rod tip

Luvevolution

well, I bought my new rod the other day................I ended up getting a Fenwick baitcast rod. I used it yesterday and ended up catching a fairly large Pike/Muskie behind the legion at port D. I couldn't tell what exactly it was, but it was very greeny brown in color, so I'm assuming it was a Pike. either way, I lost it at the wall because of my own stupidity of not having my net close enough and it spit the hook.

anyway, my wife and I were fishing the same spot again tonight and after fishing for about an hour, I cast out and that's when things went wrong. not only did the line break off, but the whole tip of the rod came off the butt section. because the line snapped, I also lost the tip of the rod in the water. before I could find a way to get it out, it sank or the current floated it out of sight. one or the other. so I guess what I'm asking, is that if anyone finds this rod tip or drags it out of the water by some form of fluke or lucky chance, or if someone finds out via word of mouth, could you possibly let me know? it's got fairly small eyes on it and the color has a blueish tinge to it. considering the rod is worth almost a hundred bucks, I'm kinda hoping that someone finds it. if not, I guess I'm gonna be out a few more bucks to replace it. this sucks, because now I'm back to fishing once again with my broken Berkley rod. so I've kinda got my fingers crossed that this will turn up somewhere. thanks for reading and hopefully helping me out.

Rich

do you mean the tip, or the top half? If it broke, get a hold of fenwick - they will replace it if you mail the broken part to them and send 20 bucks for postage

I had that happen with a fenwick - sent it away, they sent me a new one - I broke it in the same place - it shouldn't have based on the circumstances. Threw it away.

I buy St. Croix's now for my expensive rods.

He said the tip came off the butt. I'm guessing the coupling let go, lost it's suction/grip/whatever, and sailed off into the wild blue yonder.

Rich, if I hear of anything, I'll let you know. Sorry I don't have my big tackle with me yet, or I'd take a day with you, and try to get it back.

yes, the whole tip half of the rod came off the suction coupling. I'm wondering if there was a crack in it that I didn't see. something allowed it to come apart from the butt section, that's for sure. I could contact Fenwick, but I doubt I'de get anywhere, since I don't have a broken part to send them. hopefully I'll get it back at some point, or I'll have to go buy another rod I suppose.

LOL, I'de agree with that point at the beginning, but I've come a long way in a short time. especially after I went fishing with a friend who almost exclusively uses baitcast gear. I still do get the occasional birds nest, but for the most part, I've learned to catch them before they start. if I fish at night, I don't use baitcast reels (for now), but for daytime fishing, I don't like spinning reels after gaining experience with the casters. I can cast further, smoother and far more accurate than a spinning reel. plus, I'm not a quitter....................YET. LOL. :skunk:

Rich

yeah, I think I'm gonna give them a call and see what they have to say about it. like you say, the worst they can say is no and I'll have to buy another rod. but it won't be a Fenwick if they say no. LOL.

These rods are hollow , shouldn't they float ? If so , the rod tip will wash ashore somewhere . It could end up somewhere on the lake shoreline , but if it sank , like my nice rapala knife did behind the Legion , it is toast ,as the current will take it to many places in the harbour . A line tangle can easily get caught in the small guides while casting out & could have enough force to pull either the tip guide off or the last half of the rod . Make sure the rod is tightly put in place at the joint .

These rods are hollow , shouldn't they float ? If so , the rod tip will wash ashore somewhere . It could end up somewhere on the lake shoreline , but if it sank , like my nice rapala knife did behind the Legion , it is toast ,as the current will take it to many places in the harbour . A line tangle can easily get caught in the small guides while casting out & could have enough force to pull either the tip guide off or the last half of the rod . Make sure the rod is tightly put in place at the joint .

I'm sure that's exactly what happened..............the line got caught in the small guides and it pulled the tip section off and into the drink. I too was surprised to see it sink. at least I think it sank, because I didn't take my eyes off it for more than a few seconds while a went to get my net to fish it out. by the time I turned around, it was gone, so I assume it sank. to me, it should have floated, but it did not. I'm hoping it turns up somewhere, but if it doesn't, I'll talk to Fenwick and if that goes nowhere, I'll go to Peters eventually and buy the Mojo Bass rod instead. the only reason I bought the Fenwick over the Mojo, is because it was on sale this week. so at least 47 bucks is better than 90. LOL. I'de hate to see that happen if I spent a little more.

next time, I'll make sure it's on tight to the butt section. Iv'e even thought about tying the two sections together with fishing line, between the two eyes closest to the joint. hmmmmmmmm. :clapping:

Rich

They don't float (I have seen quite a few diving)

Too much weight in the glass and eyes to be offset by the little air inside I guess...

Not much diving in the old canal this time of year - a little bit come Dec / Jan - If I hear of anyone coming across it I will grab it for ya.

DD

thanks DD, that would be awesome. I used to dive the old canal quite often................back in the day when Dans dive shop snd Ed's pro dive used to be in Port. I haven't been diving in a very long time. the guys I used to dive with, either all moved away or got married and the diving stopped. kinda dangerous to dive by yourself, so that hobby came to a sudden standstill. LOL. I still have most of my Dacor dive gear...............yeah, I said Dacor, which tells you how long it's been. hahahahahahaha

Rich

My first reg was a Dacor 960 (solid chrome LOL) from Dan's in Port... maybe we dove together in the past :dunno:

thanks DD, that would be awesome. I used to dive the old canal quite often................back in the day when Dans dive shop snd Ed's pro dive used to be in Port. I haven't been diving in a very long time. the guys I used to dive with, either all moved away or got married and the diving stopped. kinda dangerous to dive by yourself, so that hobby came to a sudden standstill. LOL. I still have most of my Dacor dive gear...............yeah, I said Dacor, which tells you how long it's been. hahahahahahaha

Rich

that's exactly what my reg is.....................solid chrome/stainless steel Dacor 960 XLE from Dans. LOL. it is quite possible that we've been diving together. who knows. :dunno:

Archived