July 22 2010

packrat

Literally fought my way into an old honey hole tonight where I can usually get some nice smallies.

Tonight was no different----came up with 4 smallies, 2 channel cats and a bonus walter.

Notice I said "fought my way in"------tonight was the last time I'll see this place unless I can find a way to float down river. What trail "used" to be there is no more and I'm getting just a little too old for beating your way thru the bush. Just dont have the fortitude to do this stuff anymore.

Pity.

Thanks for the heads up Packrat... based on your report I don't think I'll attempt it either unless I get in there with a canoe or something.

Although I do wish I was there to see the pickerel caught... I kinda thought they might reside there based on the current etc.

Must have been bloody humid getting to that spot and back.. :skunk:

Thanks for the heads up Packrat... based on your report I don't think I'll attempt it either unless I get in there with a canoe or something.

Although I do wish I was there to see the pickerel caught... I kinda thought they might reside there based on the current etc.

Must have been bloody humid getting to that spot and back.. :skunk:

That's an understatement if I ever heard one. :o

Actually the walter hit a leech just off where we stand on a slow retrieve----actually hit it twice. Missed a couple more fish that felt heavy----bite was light and they spit it out after a second or two.

Had a few visitors while I was there as well----two snapping turtles and a bald eagle---cool.

Cool. Didn't think there was any around here. They are really neat to see. When I was fishing in Gogama (near sudbury/Timmins area) I saw one grab a fish out of the water about 75' infront of the boat. it was SOOO cool.

Cool. Didn't think there was any around here. They are really neat to see. When I was fishing in Gogama (near sudbury/Timmins area) I saw one grab a fish out of the water about 75' infront of the boat. it was SOOO cool.

There are always 2-3 pairs along the Niagara river.

Bald Eagle? Really? Was this around here?

The Ministry of Natural Resources has been planting them throughout Ontario for several years now. There are several nests along the Grand between Caledonia and Dunnville. Just look for an odd looking man made structure at the top of a hydro pole. Wait long enough and you`ll usually see them come and go.

There is a group that gather regularly in Seneca Park (just out side Caledonia) to photograh and observe a nest located on the south side of the river opposite the park.

Truly magnicent creatures.

http://www.on.ec.gc.ca/wildlife/factsheets...ld-eagle-e.html

http://darryl-eaglenest-senecapark-caledonia.blogspot.com/

Maxco, I saw a bald eagle while ice-fishing this past winter at Martindale. It was awesome. Flew right over us. It was actually the first bald eagle I've seen so I was pretty thrilled.

And Packrat, congratz on the Wally. I fish out Brantford way too and enjoy wading the river for bass but have never managed a walleye. WTG

Notice I said "fought my way in"------tonight was the last time I'll see this place unless I can find a way to float down river. What trail "used" to be there is no more and I'm getting just a little too old for beating your way thru the bush. Just dont have the fortitude to do this stuff anymore.

Stopped fishing up that way a while back for the same reason Gord. Too old to swing a machete.

Here's something for the rest of you bush wacking river rats.

Giant Hogweed.

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/...9/13cpo09a2.htm

Four people showed up at Dunnvile Hospital on the weekend that had been exposed. Not sure exactly where they were but there was mention of Byng.

(Island/Conservation Area????)

Beware!!!!!!

And Packrat, congratz on the Wally. I fish out Brantford way too and enjoy wading the river for bass but have never managed a walleye. WTG

There are pickerel in the Grand here in Brantford... Packrat has had more luck with them than I have.. I've had more luck at Dunnville than I have in my own backyard. :clapping:

Stopped fishing up that way a while back for the same reason Gord. Too old to swing a machete.

Here's something for the rest of you bush wacking river rats.

Giant Hogweed.

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/...9/13cpo09a2.htm

Four people showed up at Dunnvile Hospital on the weekend that had been exposed. Not sure exactly where they were but there was mention of Byng.

(Island/Conservation Area????)

Beware!!!!!!

Yeah they say "what doesnt kill you will make you stronger" or in our case will give you a heads up on your limitations-----and you better pay attention

Archived