New here and just testing the waters

lara4228

Hi all,

No need to read, just testing the site and my capabilites, (or lack of :))

I would like to post my patheic fishing trips, just for something to do but....I need to make sure I know what the heck it is I'm doing. lol

http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/uploa...557_190_350.jpg

I hope this works....

Did I post this pic right??

Lara

Wow!

Thanks guys for the welcoming committee :roflblack: Not just new to the Forum, but new (relatively) to fishing also....and I LOVE IT!! :deadhorse: (yes that much!)

So is that what that fish was? Caught in Dover about a week ago. Hubby and I caught a few of them. It was a kinda fiesty.

Anyhoot....now that I kinda know what I'm doing, (just like fishing lol). I will post more often and hopefully with pics.

the lower Niagara is full of Drum that are two to three times bigger than that........................we catch them on a regular basis. I have to admit, they put up a very good scrap when they are that size and are a lot of fun. FYI, we use worms to catch them on the lower, but you can use lures with smaller hooks and just about anything as long as the hooks aren't too big. we've had good success with them at Navy House, behind Fort George and also further upstream towards Queenston. hope that helps if you want to get into some decent size Drum.

Rich

Nice little specimen there.

Welcome to the forum. Things to learn and hookups to make can be found here. Just don't pay too much attention to some of the inmates :crazy:

Nice little specimen there.

Welcome to the forum. Things to learn and hookups to make can be found here. Just don't pay too much attention to some of the inmates :Gonefishing:

Cool! So there are inmates here and hook ups to learn...does this mean that I get to play the warden? :Gonefishing::crazy:

Now on the "serious side of fishing", I am *almost* a complete dummy when it comes to fishing. I know what a rod, reel, worm, a couple of lures, and a pickerel rig and ~apperntly weedless lures~ are...other than that, it is all bull doo-doo luck. :Gonefishing:

Any help, tips, etc from you fisherguys/gals would be greatly appreciated.

I think he means me. Does he mean me? And why are there SQUIRRELS in here again? :crazy: Never seen a black and white squirrel before.

Hey Dark? How'd u get skunk? I like it! :Gonefishing:

well guys

she has either out fished me or skunked me more than i should admit in the last year , but what can i say she bought the boat .. lmao :unsure::o

:bravo::bravo::bravo:

Well...aren't you the funny guy Road;)

Funny thing is, I'm out fishing you but I don't know what the heck it is I'm doing :o

muah!

Ok, seirously....

What lure does what? And why all the different colours. I've read this website and that website, visited this tackle shop and the that big sporting store, but all in all, I am still unclear what lure fishes for what fish.

Does time of day matter? I know water conditions play a role, is Hamilton water clear but just really polluted or just weedy and murky?

I have pink lures, yellow lures, smoky red speckled weedless 4 inch worm and a few different LARGE spinner baits, but I don't know what they are particularily used for.

How long does one use a lure before they choose to move onto a different one? Why do they call it weedless when it still snags?

Types of line. Do the lb test really matter? Oh so many questions.....

Lures called Mr. twisters are my favourite because you can use different wieghted Jig heads(: 1/32 ounce, 1/16 ounce, 1/8 ounce, and 1/4 ounce) and sized tails.Also you can catch every type of fish with them. Crankbaits also work, but are expensive. They come in different sizes and catch all types of fish aswell, especially bass, pike, walleye and Rock bass. I ussually buy crankbaits that are in the discount bins or on clearance because they work just as well as the big name brands. Crankbaits have a "lip" on them which causes them to go deeper when you reel them in. Line Lb test does matter because the line could break if the fish is heavier than the strength of the line. Time of day can make a difference for your fishing but of course any time of day is a great time for fishing :roflblack: Lol. I find Sunfish bite better during midday while bass bite better at night. Carp this year for me have been biting better in the morning. I would give Lures about 20 casts before you switch to another. Hope this helps

Lures called Mr. twisters are my favourite because you can use different wieghted Jig heads(: 1/32 ounce, 1/16 ounce, 1/8 ounce, and 1/4 ounce) and sized tails.Also you can catch every type of fish with them. Crankbaits also work, but are expensive. They come in different sizes and catch all types of fish aswell, especially bass, pike, walleye and Rock bass. I ussually buy crankbaits that are in the discount bins or on clearance because they work just as well as the big name brands. Crankbaits have a "lip" on them which causes them to go deeper when you reel them in. Line Lb test does matter because the line could break if the fish is heavier than the strength of the line. Time of day can make a difference for your fishing but of course any time of day is a great time for fishing :roflblack: Lol. I find Sunfish bite better during midday while bass bite better at night. Carp this year for me have been biting better in the morning. I would give Lures about 20 casts before you switch to another. Hope this helps

Hi Ketchican,

That has been about one of easiest and best said explanations yet! Thank you very much. Yes it has helped me.

Line Lb test does matter because the line could break if the fish is heavier than the strength of the line.

I agree but only to a point. If you keep your rod tip up so you let the rod absorb the shock, keep your drag set properly and your knots well tied, there's no reason why you can't successfully land a fish 3-4 times the line test. Most salmon anglers on the East Coast use 8 pound tippets, and fish upwards of 35 pounds are not unusual (although over 15 pounds is a good fish).

The salmon in my profile photo is 13 pounds, caught on an 8 pound tippet.

I agree but only to a point. If you keep your rod tip up so you let the rod absorb the shock, keep your drag set properly and your knots well tied, there's no reason why you can't successfully land a fish 3-4 times the line test. Most salmon anglers on the East Coast use 8 pound tippets, and fish upwards of 35 pounds are not unusual (although over 15 pounds is a good fish).

The salmon in my profile photo is 13 pounds, caught on an 8 pound tippet.

Wow! You are a serious angler. Question, how does one know what the drag should be?

Ok, seirously....

What lure does what? And why all the different colours. I've read this website and that website, visited this tackle shop and the that big sporting store, but all in all, I am still unclear what lure fishes for what fish.

Does time of day matter? I know water conditions play a role, is Hamilton water clear but just really polluted or just weedy and murky?

I have pink lures, yellow lures, smoky red speckled weedless 4 inch worm and a few different LARGE spinner baits, but I don't know what they are particularily used for.

How long does one use a lure before they choose to move onto a different one? Why do they call it weedless when it still snags?

Types of line. Do the lb test really matter? Oh so many questions.....

Get out to the rocky little man-made islands along the west shore of the harbour and work your lures around the structure they've built there. Lots of snags, but thats the price for getting into fishy water. I've caught several nice largemouth there as well as the pike that you see in my sig photo. You'll also find bullhead, white and yellow perch and carp cruising the area.

Any of the lures you've described will produce. Best way to find what works is to experiment.

Get out to the rocky little man-made islands along the west shore of the harbour and work your lures around the structure they've built there. Lots of snags, but thats the price for getting into fishy water. I've caught several nice largemouth there as well as the pike that you see in my sig photo. You'll also find bullhead, white and yellow perch and carp cruising the area.

Any of the lures you've described will produce. Best way to find what works is to experiment.

Is it better on or off shore fishing? My little aluminum is back up and running! (as of yesterday. Its been landed in the driveway for about 2 months...unitl yesterday.)

Another questions, does size of lure matter? I'm always afraid of using a larger size, fearing that it will deter fish.

I see folks with boats in and around the islands all the time. I fish from shore myself (easier with a spey rod).

The old rule is big lure, big fish. I've found that bass will hit almost anything that annoys them enough. It isn't unusual to see an 8 inch bass hit a lure almost as big as it is. That said, yes, you don't want to be throwing a huge musky bait in areas where you know all you'll catch are little guys.

I see folks with boats in and around the islands all the time. I fish from shore myself (easier with a spey rod).

The old rule is big lure, big fish. I've found that bass will hit almost anything that annoys them enough. It isn't unusual to see an 8 inch bass hit a lure almost as big as it is. That said, yes, you don't want to be throwing a huge musky bait in areas where you know all you'll catch are little guys.

ty again. Don't be afraid to say hello if you see me and Road, either in our little aluminum or along the shoreline.

Wow! You are a serious angler. Question, how does one know what the drag should be?

If you can pull the line against the drag with your hand and feel good tension without breaking the line its about right. Tighten up your drag til you can't pull it out by hand, then back it off a bit at a time til you reach the point where you can pull it smoothly.

A 4 pound fish fighting a drag set at 2 pounds is being forced to pull half its body weight around. . . how far could you go pulling half your weight?

Archived