Thinking of going to the whirlpool? I suggest you use the stairs !!!!

Lund-SS

Today my Dad and myself were fishing the lower river for Bass in a tourny that was going on ! sometime around noon we decided to take a run up river to Devils hole. So we started to make our run up the river and i look behind the boat and see a small Zodiak coming up right behind us , maybe had a 25 hp honda 4 stroke on it ! So we get to the spot were most normal people stop when you get up past the power dams , and this little Dingy keeps going Full bore up the rapids and from what we saw no life jackets on , they continue up river until we couldnt see them anymore ! not thinking much of it thinking maybe they had done that before , so we cracked a couple jokes and started fishing

, about 20 min later we see the little boat coming back down river Prop side up followed closely by a jet boat ! so seeing the jet boat there we figured that they had pulled the people on the Big boat and were just keeping an eye on the dingy, but as it got closer we could see 2 people floating in the water now with life jackets on , so we figure either they put them on at one point before they got any further or jet boat somehow got the jackets to them both, they were floating on their backs not doing much paddling , by then another Empty jet boat had shown up and picked up the first person , we motored over to the second person and pulled her to our boat and then took her over to the jet boat ! after that the Jet boat guys recovered the Dingy and dragged it to the US marina .

Both people seemed shookin up but doing well ! i still cant figure out what was going through these peoples heads to where they both thought it was a good Idea, both people were near 40 years old i would say and in quite a bit of Shock

Lesson of the day ; When going to the whirlpool USE THE STAIRS!

niagarariver018.jpg

I'm fond of saying that some folks seem to drop their brains when they pick up the car keys. I guess the same goes for boaters.

Good to see that tragedy was averted, but I hope there's some sort of penalty awaiting them. When someone does something dumb and needs rescuing, it puts not only their lives at risk, but the lives of the people who come to their aid as well.

Good stuff lending a hand too!

Are you saying having a boaters card rules over having basic common sense?

Lmao ... no. just sayin i took the test and past ..

but these 2 must have taken the short bus to school...

and "common sense" is not so common as most believe. this just prooves it yet again .

road.

Some could say experienced boaters know the risks and avoid the potentially dangerous situations don't need a card to prove it.

Bottom line. Boaters cards doesn't make you smarter, just more qualified to do stupid things.

:crazy: true...oh so very true

Ya you think the life jacket didi much good if the zodiac went under?

well since they werent paddling once the rapids spit them out i'm pretty sure its whats saved them! if they didnt have em on the probably would have surfaced a couple days later in NOTL

Aren't the red balls on the wire that extend across the river at american powerhouse the innavigatable waters marker. I know everyone goes further up right into the top of devils hole but I was always told that was what they meant.Basically a use at your own risk zone after that. Definetely could be wrong on that though. Also I have seen quite a few boats over the years make it into whirlpool one as small as a 9.9 hp!

White markers with "keep out", "restricted" , etc.... printed on them are used to define a restricted area.

The red balls on the wire simply indicate a hanging wire hazard where visibility may be an issue. Most commonly used in the vicinity of small local airfield approach paths, low flight zones, etc... In the case of the river, fluctuating river levels can drastically change how far or how close those wires are to the water or to boat traffic.

funny thing, this rescue business, since we were down at the whirlpool last week (getting snubbed by some gigantic musky) and we were watching the jet boats playing in the devil's hole while we hiked downriver. we were calculating how they would manage a rescue if one of the jetboats flipped and your scenerio confirmed our guess - they must just fly downriver when they get a radio mayday. lucky for the clowns in the blow-up pool toy. think they had to purchase a ride ticket for their trip back to the dock? only seems fair.

You know there's an old saying.... There are many stupid people in the world walking around all day long (in this case driving a boat) and don't even know that they are stupid!!!!!!! NUFF SAID

Archived