Today's Report - Hamilton Derby - 2nd Place! Woohoo!

lara4228

Hi All,

Just got back in from the Hamilton Derby. What a day!

Sun was hot, people were everywhere, kids were catching fish and I was loving every minute of it! Met Hammercarp (Glad to meet you in person!) and had my share of nice fighting bites.

Hooked 5 carp, only landed 4.

First carp (landed) 70cm, estimated about 13lbs

Second carp 67cm, estimated about 13lbs

Third carp 67cm, no wieght guess, 12lb maybe?

Fourth carp 62cm, 10-11lb?

Hubby caught one, 69cm.

It was a blast! I have never had so much exciting fun fishing in fresh water before. On our Pier (8), I was listed as 1st and Road was 2nd and I was tied for 3rd with another gentleman.

I am defintely hooked on carp!

I can't post pics yet. I suppose being new, I'm only allowed a certain amount of allotted pics, so when I can, I will post.

Here is one for now....

gallery_3557_190_137022.jpg

whatd ya win?

I won a rod and reel, t-shirt and a trophy.

It was very exhilarating! My fisrt time in a derby, first time catching carp and first time winning anything.

Haa haa good deal, you must've had them really dialed in that can be a tricky spot.

13lbs took 2nd place? Man it must've been a tough bite at Eastport this morning :)

Yeah bites were slim (I guess, I'm new, so every bite was hot and exciting :D, only 6 caught on Pier 8. judging was done by length not by weight.

It was a pleasure meeting you and your husband. Congradulations on your win. Did the trophy go on the piano?

lol Yeah it landed itself on my piano. Doesn't really match my colour scheme, but I'm proud of it none-the-less lol

Way to go! I was there too, went down to Bayfront but didn't catch anything until just after noon. . . a 12" bass that I didn't even bother checking in. Maybe I should have left the fly rod home, but with my Nova Scotia trip in 3 weeks I need the practice.

Looking forward to seeing more pics of your fish.

Congratulations Lara…Fantastic catches for sure. It was a pleasure meeting you and Barclay today and chatting with you in between my trips running up and down the pier. Beginners luck is so overrated…Your carping mind-forces were the reason the fish could not resist – You’re on your way to becoming a carp Jedi :D

Mike

Pics R in! Thank you for advice about photo bucket. Here they are:

Great start for a day of fishing.

3rdof7Sunrise-HamiltonDerby-August142010.jpg

There should have a "Boobie Prize" for Road :D

BarclaysBoobyPrize2-HamiltonDerby-August142010.jpg

Road's catch

BarclaysCarp69cm-V.jpg

Fish No. 1

MyfirstCarp70cm-HamiltonDerby-August142010.jpg

Fish No. 2

SecondCarp67cm-HamiltonDerby-August142010.jpg

Fish No. 3

ThirdCarp67cm-HamiltonDerby-August142010.jpg

Fish No. 4

FourthCarp63cm-HamiltonDerby-August142010.jpg

At the end of the day...Wohoo!

Relaxedandthrilledtohavewonsecondplace-HamiltonDerby-August142010.jpg

Congratulations Lara…Fantastic catches for sure. It was a pleasure meeting you and Barclay today and chatting with you in between my trips running up and down the pier. Beginners luck is so overrated…Your carping mind-forces were the reason the fish could not resist – You’re on your way to becoming a carp Jedi :)

Mike

Awww...that is so nice of you to say that! Thank you!

Likewise, it was a pleasure meeting you as well.

Who knows...maybe one day Barclay and I will be joining you on a "Carp Wars" adventure :D

Awesome photo spread. We've been having trouble with the gallery this year but after checking all the setting I can't find anything related to a users number of posts. glad you found photobucket though. wow for a new fisher you did very well. :D

From my experience Autumn, fishing is nothing but patience!

Don't give up. Carp fishing, from my 'little' experience is not about much action until the fish takes the bite. Road felt the same way last week when I first mentioned to him that I wanted to seriously try fishing for carp. He went along and supported and in the interim, got just as much into it as I did.

Try reading some the posts on my last topic of Carp. Lots and oodles of very helpful and useful info.

Awesome photo spread. We've been having trouble with the gallery this year but after checking all the setting I can't find anything related to a users number of posts. glad you found photobucket though. wow for a new fisher you did very well. :D

:) thank you.

Yeah, photobucket is MUCH easier.

Archived